LaFerrari replacement: v12, no hybrid, less power than SF90stradale? | Page 18 | FerrariChat

LaFerrari replacement: v12, no hybrid, less power than SF90stradale?

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by Ale55andr0, Dec 24, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. maha

maha F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2014
    dinajpur, bangladesh
    Full Name:
    mahmud
    i think they have to go extreme with the next flagship hypercar; they already have soft-core hypercar ; "ICONA''

Caeruleus11 and 9nb like this.
  2. Dilusha

Dilusha Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Both cars will come out in 2023. So I think the LaFerrari successor will be based on the LMH. The only difference I think is the engine. The race car is probably a V6 hybrid. But the road car is a V12 hybrid. Everything else should be very similar.

3. Johnny_Bravo

Johnny_Bravo Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2012
    Yeah, but nobody gives a **** about a turbo engine, it doesn't sound as good.

babgh and 444sp like this.
  4. Johnny_Bravo

Dec 7, 2012
    The road car should ditch the hybrid crap. They should go the Gordon Murray way. A 1000 kg car with a 6.5 litre NA V12 making +900 HP

Jakuzzi, babgh and jpalmito like this.
  5. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    Neither the Merc or Aston are great looking cars, the Aston no doubt will have astounding performance being a race car with number plates. Both however seem to be woefully behind plan in terms of making it to market.

6. 4re4ever

4re4ever Formula 3

Mar 26, 2006
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Lots of talk about Valkyrie and Gordon Murray / T.50. The original Mac F1 was not road legal in alot of places. How limited from a road legal point is the T.50 and Valkyrie going to be with the route they have chosen. We may not like it, but the world has changed. Ferrari has made the call to change with it. Something I think will pay off for them in the mid to long term. To win this new Generation you have to find a way to reduce the weight. It will happen they just need more time to develop and understand.

Also the T.50 and Valkyrie are still largly Vaporware.

Alvega likes this.
  7. 444sp

444sp Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2016
    You are right, but this new technology with an electric turbo allows the sound of the NA and the advantages of the turbo.
    So why should Ferrari not use it?

8. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    If the next Icona is a F40 revival I really doubt it will be a soft-core hypercar.

9. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    If it is an electrically assisted turbocharger (the electric assistance being provided to the compressor), it means that it still harvests exhaust gas energy (that's what the turbine does) and thus carries all other characteristics of traditional turbocharging. If it doesn't have a turbine, it is an electric supercharger/compressor, not a turbo. At any rate, I don't believe that Ferrari plans on turbo/super-charging the V12.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  10. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    both have fully working prototypes, the valk is heading into production shortly and cars will be delivered by the end of this year.

babgh and Nuvolari-92 like this.
  11. babgh

babgh Karting

Dec 21, 2016
    Well in terms of the hypercar wars the only car that I am actually looking forward to is the GMA T50. It is analog(aka no heavy electric motors), RWD, V12 and around 1000kg of weight hopefully not 1000kg of dry weight. I do not know what ferrari would be releasing as Ferrrari F80 hopefully it is not as heavy as the LaF and the SF90 because no matter how much power you have you cannot easily mask the weight of a car in the corners.
    On the other hand I do not expect too much of the Valkyrie now. Remember Chris Goodwin from McLaren now working for Aston? Didn't he say that the P1 would be the fastest around the track?, only to be beaten by an extremely fast porker which was the 918 Spyder. I think instead of overhyping the car they should just let the car do its thing when it comes out. Oh and I think if they would lend it for car comparison reviews at least bring a customer spec car with little to no technicians in site like Porsche did.

BusDriver and jpalmito like this.
  12. 4re4ever

4re4ever Formula 3

Mar 26, 2006
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Simon
    #437 4re4ever, Mar 24, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2021
    Prototypes and test cars are not a true reflection. They mean nothing more than a car is in development and just add to the massive hype machine.
    When the cars are delivered and their spec are confirmed that is when it is no longer Vaperware.
    (Just because you see a prototype on the road or a track does not mean its fully working either)

13. Johnny_Bravo

Dec 7, 2012
    It's very easy to reduce weight. Just ditch all the electronic crap (ABS, ESP, etc) from the car, make it similar to the F40 and F50

14. simpen

simpen Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2016
    The "electronic crap" you mention weighs about 1.5 kg (and ABS has been mandatory for more than 15 years...). Weirdly I think, to reduce weight and increase driver experience, I believe they will have to downsize the engine and/or go with a full carbon chassis. The Monza SP, which is about as no-compromise racer for the road you can currently get, has a NA V12 and weighs 1500 kg!

15. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    To save weight you could reduce car’s size.
    ( Murray T50 for instance)

red passion and day355 like this.
  16. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    812 SF chassis for the Monza.
    Weight gains are limited because of that.

17. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    The Ferrari halo cars have had a full carbon chassis and body since the F50.

18. simpen

simpen Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2016
    I know, it still surprises me that the "regular" models including Icona series do not. If Alfa can do it for the 4C and 6C (I do not approve of Maserati's rebadge ;) ), surely Ferrari should have already.

red passion and 9nb like this.
  19. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    the weights quoted will be the actual, it's a pet hate of Gordon's that manufacturers lie about their cars weights or quote dry weights

20. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    the P1 just on its stats meant it was always going to be similar to its competitors, regardless of the hype

imo, just the power/weight and insane aero on the valk should make it like nothing before it

21. 444sp

444sp Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2016
    Interesting reflections from Jim Glickenhaus, makes me think that Ferrari could use its next Laferrari as LMH even with its V12.
    "The point being that the aerodynamic targets set in the BoP are quite easily achievable"
    https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/articles/sports-cars/le-mans/why-glickenhaus-is-sharing-its-le-mans-hypercar-secrets-on-social-media

22. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    The problem would be the consumption of a V12, which is not good for endurance racing.

23. 444sp

444sp Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2016
    The head of Ferrari’s sports car racing department, Antonello Coletta believes the manufacturer has an “opportunity” to draw on the expertise of its Formula 1 team for the development of its Le Mans Hypercar, which is set to hit the track next spring for a 2023 race debut.

Ferrari has yet to confirm the type of LMH car that it will develop, with Coletta declining to specify whether it will use a road-going product as a base or come up with a pure prototype featuring road model styling cues.
    When asked which subset of the LMH technical rules Ferrari will be following, Coletta said: “I prefer to answer this question in the future.
    Now we consider both ideas. Honestly – in my head – the solution is clear. But for the moment I prefer to maintain a cover on this decision.”
    Ferrari has set itself the aim of an early 2023 race debut. Its target for the first track test is April or May next year, but this will depend on how the coronavirus pandemic pans out.

Rather, Ferrari’s decision to re-enter prototype racing was made on the “strategic” basis of it being able to compete for outright victories in events like the 24 Hours of Le Mans with a vehicle that provides an identifiable link to its road car range.
    This desire helped sway its choice to pursue LMH over the global LMDh platform which, although cheaper, would have prevented Ferrari from producing a true car of its own by cornering it into selecting from one of four designated LMP2 chassis builders.
    “To have a link, for me, is to have the engine or the hybrid parts for example,” said Coletta.
    "These are parts that we can put on the road cars of the future, because why not? We can make an experience today and put on the road cars tomorrow.”

https://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/ferrari-to-draw-on-f1-expertise-for-lmh-program/

24. Johnny_Bravo

Dec 7, 2012
    The electronic parts surely way in excess of 50-100 kg. If they don't, how come a car like the Enzo weighs almost 1500 kg ???
    Where does all the weight come from ?