NEW SCUD OWNER | FerrariChat

NEW SCUD OWNER

Discussion in '360/430' started by MEGACHAD, Mar 31, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MEGACHAD

MEGACHAD Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 24, 2021
    Full Name:
    CHAD AALDERS
    Hi guys. I am a long time contributor to the Lambo forums, but just purchased my first ever ferrari. I picked up a Scud. It was a rebuilt title car back in 2012, but after it was rebuilt it has driven 8,000 miles since. I usually don't pick up rebuilt title vehicles. However I did have a 6 speed murci rebuilt title that was one of the best Murcielago's I have owned. I and have owned 6 Murcielago's. Hoping I have the same luck with this Scud.

I'll be posting pics and vids soon.

2. Sj_engr

Sj_engr Formula 3

Sep 15, 2020
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    dc
    Congrats! Lots of good info on this forum. Not sure how interested in wrenching on your own car but be ready to start making changes/fixes.

3. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    Nice! Best of luck. I hope to join you in scudsville someday.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

4. MEGACHAD

MEGACHAD Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 24, 2021
    Full Name:
    CHAD AALDERS
    I work on my own cars a lot actually. Looks like the 430 is quite easy to work on compared to the diablo and murcielago's I usually own.

haha.. hope so for you.. thank you.

5. Scottslaw

Scottslaw Formula Junior

That's awesome! Take a look at my track rat scud "refreshstoration" thread. You and I sound like kindred spirits. I love a project, and although mine has never been in an accident, it did need a lot of minor tlc after some odd 50k track miles! These cars are surprisingly robust if taken care of and not all that expensive to maintain if you are able/willing to get your hands a bit dirty. I bet you will be in good shape! Just change that battery out first thing so you are starting out fresh with no question marks, and always keep it tended. These cars do not like batteries even slightly depleted. Trust me on this. Just replace it to begin your ownership experience and then you can always rule that out as a culprit for an issue (and I will bet good money you will have less issues that require searching for a culprit! (miss my gated gallardo but scud is better in almost every way, except for the lack of a gated shifter!).

tfos750 likes this.
  6. MEGACHAD

MEGACHAD Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 24, 2021
    Full Name:
    CHAD AALDERS
    Thank you for the kind info! Yes I feel the same way about maintenance and I am not afraid to get my hands dirty. I have my own lift and everything so I am good there.. Batteries are a big deal to me as well. I have had enough battery issues in my life. Do you have a youtube channel at all? What track have you taken it to? How long are the front rotors good for? I was possibly looking at changing them out to Girodiscs, but I kind of wanted to feel the carbon brakes on track.

take care!
    Chad

7. Scottslaw

Scottslaw Formula Junior

Ha, I've never had it to the track ( yet). My car was a former track rental superstar lol! So lots of track mileage (but also lots of regular maintenance and repair history!). My car long ago shed its CCB's and have been on girodiscs for sometime, so I'm not sure how they stack up to the stock stoppers. I have a lift as well and it makes everything 10x easier (especially removal of the dang undertray, since I have a four post...two posts lifts make removal of the undertray cumbersome as you will soon find out if yours is a two-post!)

8. DOWORKFCAR

DOWORKFCAR Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2016
    Hey Chad welcome to the Ferrari world! I have followed your lovely Diablo GT before on the lambo forums I believe. As Scott said, check out his thread on his Scud...it rocks. I have a F430 and they are pretty solid cars. I think you will really enjoy ownership. The F136 engine is a gem. Enjoy and ask any questions you have on Fchat! I have learned a lot on this forum and it has saved me a ton of money with my 550 and now F430.

9. MikeMonty

MikeMonty Karting

May 28, 2004
    Nashville TN
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Congrats, I just picked up my Scud a few months ago and my 1st Ferrari as well! Scuds are awesome. :)

MEGACHAD likes this.
  10. DeTomasoGTS74

DeTomasoGTS74 Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2016
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Eric
  11. MEGACHAD

MEGACHAD Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 24, 2021
    Full Name:
    CHAD AALDERS
    They look great on track.

DeTomasoGTS74 likes this.
  12. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    Welcome all to the wolf pack!!!

The Scuderia is the only car I've personally ever kept longer than 2 yrs...truly something special. That F1 Superfast kick is just amazing and addictive. Amazingly balanced blend of analog+rawness with contemporary performance.

11 yrs of ownership flew by in a blink...I still grin when I take off the covers to look at her and still giggle like a school girl when I put her through the motions and pop off canon bombs when I downshift.

Nothing like it, nothing. If you know, you know.

13. MEGACHAD

MEGACHAD Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 24, 2021
    Full Name:
    CHAD AALDERS
    I have been a manual transmission fan my whole life. I raced in a manual transmission. However I actually really enjoyed my egear murcielago. A lot more that I wanted to admit. The shifts still felt very manual because of the single clutch automated manual shifts.. As well the egear has no auto option. So if you don't tell the car to shift it won't. That really contributed to the manual feel. The Scud seems to shift way faster than the egear. I still haven't received the car or driven a Scud. So I am excited to experience it. It seems as thought it might be a car I want to keep for a while as well. These Scud single clutch paddle cars are the last of the breed that were only built for a small window of time. I hate DCT cars.. I just do not enjoy the feeling. They may be faster, but they sure don't feel like it.

DeTomasoGTS74 and ShineKen like this.
  14. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I like the Scud missile plate. :) Looks like a blast on the track.

MEGACHAD and DeTomasoGTS74 like this.
  15. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Scud shifts satisfactorily fast on race mode (60ms) with all the drama you need. I don't see how anyone would need it to feel faster than what it already does. It only feels noticeably sluggish in sport mode (100ms). That's when you really start to appreciate the Scud's 60ms race mode shifts.

My main argument for a manual is smoother driving at lower speeds around town and you can orchestrate the sound of the car to your liking with manual gear selection and rev timing etcc... Aside from that, the SF2 is Ferrari's best paddle shift experience if you are factoring drama, speed, and feel and unfortunately (or fortunately) they aren't being made anymore.

MEGACHAD, Cgk360 and DeTomasoGTS74 like this.
  16. augustxke

augustxke Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2009
    MN
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Congratulations on the scud buy. I bought mine in 2011 and its still fun every time I drive it. Its has a great engine and the best looking engine compartment of all the v8 cars. Our roads are almost ready to drive on again, can't wait. It has also been very low maintenance.

MEGACHAD and Cgk360 like this.
  17. Cgk360

Cgk360 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2013
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    +1. Couldn't agree more. My Scud is very reliable. Other than routine tire and fluids changes, I have only had to replace the TPMS sensors (batteries died after 12 yrs) and recently replace a broken header stud and trued the warped header at year 13. Not bad for an F-car.

MEGACHAD likes this.
  18. grudk

grudk Karting

Mar 29, 2005
    Manhattan Beach
    Another ‘new’ scud owner here in SoCal... two weeks so far and really liking the experience. Love the sound and shift speed. Only downside is everyone wants to race me...

MEGACHAD likes this.
  19. MEGACHAD

MEGACHAD Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 24, 2021
    Full Name:
    CHAD AALDERS
    awesome feedback guys! thank you. car just arrived yesterday!

20. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Congrats! Was this the black one that was being asked around 129k for it?

21. MEGACHAD

MEGACHAD Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 24, 2021
    Full Name:
    CHAD AALDERS
    yes. it was.. and everyone that avoided the car missed out.. it is an excellent drivers car.. not a museum piece for sure, but a hell of a drivers car.. 13,400 miles.. feels new.. I was really expecting like bad shocks, or clunky issues.. car feels new.

Manda racing and armedferret like this.