575M - F1 to Gated 6 Manual Conversion | FerrariChat

575M - F1 to Gated 6 Manual Conversion

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by dhalperin13, Apr 3, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dhalperin13

dhalperin13 Karting

Mar 26, 2021
    Full Name:
    Dan
    I am so excited to report that Alla Luna (I have a habit of naming all of my cars :) ) will be starting her conversion journey early next week. Seems appropriate for the times...

As a new FChat member, I am so impressed with community and the knowledge shared. It’s informative, entertaining, and rare.

I grew up with posters of F cars on my bedroom wall and having one of these in my garage is really a dream come true! I plan to share as much of the conversion process as I can. The car will be leaving CA and heading to EAG in San Antonio and I am hoping to greet her there late next week.

I am certain I have no standing to make this request as one of the boards newest members, but here I go anyway. I am hoping to keep this entire thread constructive! I am in the business of risk and due diligence and believe that I have done the right amount of research that has brought me this far. You don’t take risk, it’s hard to find reward...and the reward for me is driving this work of art with a gated 6 this summer!

The plan for this car is to be a seasonal driver as I’m in the Midwest. Perhaps a few track days here and there :) :)

Back to the constructive intent of this thread, I would very much appreciate input as to if there is anything I should be considering during this conversion process. Here are a few things that I have noted spending countless hours on these boards:

1) steering ECU
    2) Maranello Skunkworks Front end lift
    3) Fabio exhaust ( probably not for this project...but OMG does his work sound amazing)

One more request for advice...I said in another thread that a good deal is peace of mind. I no longer have that as the vehicle is being delivered without service history (I knew this was the case but I keep asking myself “Why”). I have already called Ferrari of Beverly Hills, where the car was initially sold and last inspected prior to my purchase, to see if I could get some guidance. They advised that the car had been serviced their in the early 2000’s and not since. My plan is to call the prior owner after the holiday weekend. I bought the car through the auction website bringatrailer and a known seller with the handle WOB. So hoping for some advice on additional steps I can take to try to obtain some service records, or service history.

This is going to be fun!!!

Dan

F456M, ewright, white out and 6 others like this.
  2. rhern213

rhern213 Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2021
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Richel
    Hi Dan, welcome to F-chat and congratulations on your purchase! I got my first Ferrari just last month, a 550, and in that short time have been grateful to receive tons of support and advice from members on here.

I was in a similar situation as you, my 550 had some service records but nothing documented for belts since 2013. I negotiated and purchased it with the assumption to immediately need a minimum $5k service. I ended up getting very lucky and found out the car actually had an extensive major belt service just 3 years ago and was only driven 100 miles since I got it. So all I needed was a simple annual service to refresh fluids and was ready to go.

I don't think there's any reason to be afraid of cars with questionable service history as long as you've done the research and understand the potential costs if things go bad.

I would suggest for the service records to look through the previous registered locations of the car, maybe on carfax, and try calling the local ferrari dealerships if they have anything?

Look forward to following your experiences.
    Lastly, we need pics or it didn't happen! :)

F456M, dhalperin13 and Ferrari55whoa like this.
  3. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #3 Ferrari55whoa, Apr 3, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
    I’m EXTREMELY excited for you and to hear about the process.

Regarding maintenance history....They always say buy the best documented car but for one with “driver” miles (say over 20k) I’m of the mind it doesn’t matter....just have EAG or your mechanic tackle all the “normal” stuff (timing belt/water pump) and the while you are in there’s while you do the conversion and then if you do ever sell you will have a monster invoice proving out your maintenance baseline investment.

One thing that you might consider as you start out and I don’t think is too expensive is the “never droop” visor tweak/upgrade that Dave @ferraridriver does. He has done a bunch and it sounds like that’s one thing that breaks for everyone eventually.

Since you got a 575 you shouldn’t have many of the “evolutionary” needs that the 550 can benefit from.

I also don’t recall if you told us what area you are in (I’m from Iowa originally) and when my wife went back to school and we were back home I ran NASA races (in my turbo ‘00 Miata) at Road America, Blackhawk, Mid-America, Autobahn country club and others...the Midwest really spoils us @NE550

Thanks so much for sharing your adventure with us.

For those that hadnt followed the other threads this is the car Dan bought....maybe as good a deal as that which @SteveVT got during the last year....both sexy black cars.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2003-ferrari-575-maranello-19/

4. dhalperin13

dhalperin13 Karting

Mar 26, 2021
    Full Name:
    Dan
    #4 dhalperin13, Apr 4, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2021
    Graz, JOEV, Boy Wonder and 9 others like this.
  5. dhalperin13

dhalperin13 Karting

Mar 26, 2021
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Thanks Eric! I’ll keep Dave in mind for that visor upgrade. I’m near Chicago and hope to make it to Blackhawk, Autobahn, Road America, and GingerMan this season.

6. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    We might not have curvy roads in the Midwest but within a few hours of Chi-town, so many great race tracks!

7. rhern213

rhern213 Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2021
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Richel
    Love the wheels and daytona seats!

dhalperin13 likes this.
  8. SteveVT

SteveVT Karting

Nov 30, 2019
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Dan- Great stuff! Congrats on taking the plunge on the F1 conversion - definitely excited to learn more!

Like you, I purchased a nero 575m F1 on BaT with pretty limited service records. I did some digging was not able to reconstruct too much. The F-car dealer where the car was purchased was not super forthcoming, but I was able to get some info out of one of the shops. I also tracked down the previous owner, but he was not super helpful either.

I bought my car knowing full well that it would need a major - very much priced in to the purchase. In addition, when the car arrived, my mechanic spotted a few additional that needed to be addressed. In my car's case, we needed to replace the lower control arm bushings, a couple of ball joints and the front shock absorber mount. I am hoping to get the car back in the next two weeks and will share more soon.

Il Tifoso and dhalperin13 like this.
  9. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    Congrats on the new car!

If you're going through all the major maintenance and converting to manual I HIGHLY suggest swapping out the 575M exhaust manifolds for 550. Your shop should be able to add the o2 bungs to the manifolds and post-cats. Will pick up a significant amount of power (50hp+) and allow easy access to replace the engine mounts.

F456M, dhalperin13 and Ferrari55whoa like this.
  10. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    You must not be looking in the right place. WI and MN have many options. St. Croix and Mississippi river valleys - just to name a few areas...

white out likes this.
  11. dhalperin13

dhalperin13 Karting

Mar 26, 2021
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Hi Nick,

I'm on my second time through your build thread already. It looks like you are having a blast....and impressive work! I knew there were levels in this game, but the x-pipe vs H pipe discussion is sent me down a rabbit hole!

And now I have started down a new one...thanks! Attached is a picture of what I believe to be the beauty you describe. Image Unavailable, Please Login

white out likes this.
  12. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    brogenville and Ferrari55whoa like this.
  13. dhalperin13

dhalperin13 Karting

Mar 26, 2021
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Hi Steve, congratulations on the car and good luck on the rest of the service. I'm optimistic at the moment, with a report from the seller showing that I have over 90% clutch life remaining!

Looking forward to staying in touch throughout this journey!!!

14. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I grew up in central iowa (Ames) which has next to nothing “fun road wise”.....I left the Midwest in 1999 and came to NorCal in 2001 and will readily admit I’m very spoiled for public roads within 15 miles of my place in the Santa Cruz mountains.....and then I’m a little closer to Laguna Seca Vs Sears Point... so it’s hard to complain.....

many of the Midwestern tracks have very generous runoff which also saved my bacon on more than one instance (had some good spin/offs at Blackhawk and Mid-America).

Il Tifoso, dhalperin13 and white out like this.
  15. rhern213

rhern213 Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2021
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Richel
    Good luck sleeping the next few days! :D

16. NE550

NE550 Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Congrats on your new 575, looks amazing! I have the exact same Cuoio w/ black inserts Daytona seats in my 550. They really set off the interior.

Were it mine, think I'd leave the F1 intact for awhile, see how I like it. As @whiteout says, a properly serviced/calibrated F1, once you learn how to properly drive it, has its own charms and advantages and is no problem (contrary to a lot prevailing negative opinions on the F1 system). I'd spend the money of a full Fabio F. exhaust system, which would gain you at least +80 HP and, when combined with the F1 gearbox, the acceleration is fricking brutal, with lightning fast hard upshifts. Having ridden in Fabio's personal F1 575 with this setup, it is really something to experience. Near-599 performance by my butt dyno.

Anyway, good luck with the manual conversion, congrats and enjoy!

ewright, dhalperin13 and white out like this.
  17. bracketz

bracketz Karting

Jul 19, 2019
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Absolutely beautiful car and I'm looking forward to hearing how the conversion goes. Seems like they're getting the process quite dialed in at the moment and I know it's going to be a fun ride!

dhalperin13 likes this.
  18. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    I love how the performance increase estimates for fabio’s 6-1 headers keep going up! 80 bhp sounds a little fanciful. They sure sound amazing though- worth the price of admission on its own.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

dhalperin13 likes this.
  19. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    I don't doubt it at all. The 550 manifolds are an easy 50hp+ over 575M manifolds. My car dropped a half second 60-130mph after the 550 manifolds, that is a massive power gain.

dhalperin13 likes this.
  20. dhalperin13

dhalperin13 Karting

Mar 26, 2021
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Richel, I am heading out this Thursday to San Antonio to meet the crew and the car! Sleep is hard to come by these days as I scour FChat threads :)

Dave, a number of people I have a lot of respect for have given me similar advice. My explanation to them is that I become more connected to the car while rowing through the gears. It’s a driving experience that I just enjoy so much more! Also, from a store of value perspective, I have a hunch that money spent on the conversion may hold up.

In regards to the headers and exhaust, I have started talking to Art & Dave & EAG. I ran the idea of the 550 header/exhaust manifold swap and the guys are looking into it. Fabio's system looks beautiful and sounds amazing...I have two concerns at the moment though:

1) weakened US dollar buys less and less Fabio exhaust
    2) rough cold starts

Nick, any cold start issues with the 550 manifolds? Did you apply a tune after the swap?

21. [gTr]

[gTr] Formula 3

Mar 11, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    Hi Dan, congratulations!
    Just as an additional data point to add to this informative thread, did you consider Wil and Sandy De Groot's (@SandydeG) shop in NJ? If I am not mistaken they have done a successful 575 conversion and now a 599 conversion as well (@Qksilver). They seem to have good customer reviews.

F456M and Ferrari55whoa like this.
  22. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Exoticars have done two 575 conversions now. You'd have to go far to find a more stand-up guy to deal with than Wil as well.

ewright and F456M like this.
  23. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Note there may be some misunderstanding on Fabio's headers and cold starts. Cold start is smooth and normal. Later in the warm-up, there is a little hunting as she finalizes the fuel-air mixture, but that only lasts a few seconds and then she smooths out again. Nothing to worry about.

dhalperin13 and white out like this.
  24. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    I currently have the cold start 'hunt' for 10-20 seconds as I put the primary o2 sensors in a single runner. I am going to move the primary o2 to the collectors and see if that makes a difference.
    No tune.

dhalperin13 likes this.