Market difference between the F8 and SF90 | FerrariChat

Market difference between the F8 and SF90

Discussion in 'SF90 Stradale' started by FerrariCognoscenti, Apr 3, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    The SF0 and F8 are priced relatively similarly, performance isn’t that different, obviously there are some technological differences, but why would someone buy an F8 over an SF90? Or more importantly, why would Ferrari release both cars within a year of each other? The SF90 seems the F8 replacement, why not wait until the end of the F8’s market life to release an SF90 replacement? Is the SF90 considered a replacement for the F8? Both are incredible cars, but from a marketing perspective with the F8 vs SF90 it has me a bit confused.

Insight is appreciated!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    With respect your post is nonsense !

The F8 which will be replaced by LB costs about half the SF90 which is a technology showcase without luggage space

Falcon7x, 350MH83, Gazza21 and 4 others like this.
  3. FerrariCognoscenti

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    I don’t know these things, what is the LB?

4. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    They are not even close in terms of performance and pricing!!!

5. FerrariCognoscenti

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    For pricing a very well specced F8 would be about $75-100k less than the SF90, which in the Ferrari world is peanuts.

6. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    You can't compare dissimilar specs. Spec for spec, the Stradale is about twice the price of the F8.

350MH83 likes this.
  7. Fortis

Fortis Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2019
    Full Name:
    Fortis
  8. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    You might want to change your user name...

You clearly are making assumptions. Why don't you stop by your dealer and config an F8 and an SF90? Let me know how that similar pricing thing works out for ya. I reckon about a 200-250k usd difference at least. 300 if you go AF.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

9. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Ltfor3 likes this.
  10. JJ77

JJ77 Formula Junior

Oct 3, 2020
    Insight is clearly needed...

van22 and Il Co-Pilota like this.
  11. mkraft3003

mkraft3003 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2016
    Tampa, Fl
    Did you mean to post this on April 1? What do you think the base price is for the F8 and the SF90? Last time I checked the price was 270k for an F8 and 512k for the SF90 (pricing may be different now). Performance wise they aren’t even close to each other either.

Joe M, LVP488 and Il Co-Pilota like this.
  12. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Yes, that thing about performance being close, is pretty odd too. Please explain how you came to that conclusion? What is the official Fiorano times - about 3-4 seconds apart? That's MASSIVE!

The SF90 is the new top model. It used to be the V12 two seater, but now there's the SF90.

The replacement for the F8 will be the LB, not the BB which was what we called the SF90 prior to launch. If you are unsure about what LB means, there's a lot of info here. But in short, it's the "Little Brother", which is a V6 hybrid, and what will come after the F8. The SF90 was Big Brother.

Joe M likes this.
  13. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    A well configured SF90 with AF is easily 650+ usd. You will have to go TM and all out to get an F8 to 450. Add CF wheels and some TM options to that SF90 and pricing goes into 700 usd.

If you config an F8 wihout CF wheels, but outer CF options, the electronics, a nice paint etc. you are looking at 400,ish usd. If you do the same to an SF90, i.e nice seats, nice paint, electrics, but no CF wheel and no AF, you are easily in the 600-625k usd.

Jo Sta7 likes this.
  14. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    They aren’t even close in terms of performance or price. But they’re both fantastic.

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  15. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Thecadster, van22 and Glenn Quagmire like this.
  16. Glenn Quagmire

Glenn Quagmire Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 13, 2019
    USA
    As an F8 owner and with an SF90 spider on order, I can say this thread is the very definition of inanity. The technology, pricing and performance are nowhere near similar. This is just silly or someone looking to stir the pot.

17. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Kind of interesting to see that he is logging on, and is probably reading our comments. Yet he is obviously not interested in discussing the matter further. Odd.

18. phanliu

phanliu Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2015
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Noel
    Everyone jumped on him and he got crushed ;).

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  19. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Might be it...

20. hagen111

hagen111 Karting

Feb 25, 2006
    I assume you are American and don't have a passport... ;-)

Some parts of the world tax cars based upon CO2 emissions.

Where I live, for example an 812SF...you will have to pay: Ferrari manufacturer price PLUS 95,000 euro (approx 110,000 USD) CO2/pollution tax on top, PLUS over the combined price 21% VAT. On an 812SF the combined extra taxes can add up to 160,000 euro (200,000 USD) extra taxes.

F8 being v8 turbo, will not be as heavily taxed as V12, but still will hurt!

SF90...being hybrid and therefore super low on CO2 emissions...hardly any 'pollution tax' added and therefore actually pretty nicely priced compared to other Ferraris. It is still one of the most expensive in the line-up, but the difference actually not to severe. Hence, would always opt for SF90.

So fully depends on context and location...

of2worlds and Glenn Quagmire like this.
  21. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Very true, but when such a thing is debated on a forum such as this, we need to think about it from a base price perspective. It is also worth noting that the OP used USD as the figure, not Euro or other currency. This is why I talked about it from that point of view, and not what the price is in my country. Don't want to risk people having a heart attack.:D

If we go by prices on the road on plates where I am, an SF90 starts at 8500000 dkr. or about 1.32 mil usd with ZERO options added. Add the extras and you are looking at 9.5-10 mill dkr. or 1.5 mill usd.

A well specced F8 with lots of CF is about 950k usd by comparison. So while that is not half, there's a pretty big jump from 950k to 1.5 mill.

What is the price difference between a well specced SF90 without AF and a well specced F8 where you are? That is the topic.

Also, while pricing might be dependant on where you are, performance is not, nor is where it sits in the line-up.

22. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Just a quick addition. The OP is US American by the way, so the US pricing we are discussing is correct in this context.

23. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
  24. hagen111

hagen111 Karting

Feb 25, 2006
    I would say a well specced F8 in the Netherlands would buy a well specced SF90 in the US...for the same money ;-)

25. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Yeah and a well specced F8 in Denmark will buy you a well specced SF90 for you and a Porto for the wife...

It was not what it was about. The OP made the claim based on where he was that they were both close in price and performance - that is what this thread is about.

megamarco9 and mkraft3003 like this.