Need help to remove side quarter glass panel | FerrariChat

Need help to remove side quarter glass panel

Discussion in '308/328' started by dinoart, Apr 4, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dinoart

dinoart Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2004
    Westminster CA
    Full Name:
    David
    I have a 85 QV GTS. While cleaning the the rear glass from the inside I broke off the connector to the passenger heating elements of the glass defroster. I was able to super glue it back despite very tight space but it fell off after a few months. I want to remove the side glass panel this time to do a good job. According to parts manual the glass is held together by a rubber gasket. Has anyone done this? Looked up in YouTube but nothing on 308. Thank you in advance.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    For some strange reason, I've done this a few times on different 308's. Most recently to fix the dilapidated foam in the targa bar headliner, and those windows come out to access the rivets. Good new is they come out fairly easy. You open the louver panel. Removal is better. Push outward on glass at the forward side. Keep steady pressure as you massage back the overhanging rubber to allow the glass to slip out. Using some heavily soaped water strategically placed makes it easier. Now go slow so as not to launch the glass and or drop it. Be patient, and it's not too bad.

If your car has the fabric panel covering, take care again not to catch a thread if you remove the heavy rubber trim. Go slow.

Now the bad news. Not-so-fun to reinstall. Work in the reverse order which worked for removal, but the muscle required is appreciably more. I recall starting with the smaller (rear) edge and massage the rubber slipping it in going forward. Again, some strategic soap lube helps. Careful not to lose control of the window to keep it safe. Be prepared to move / tilt the rubber trim outward (only slightly) to help engage the glass.

imho: I don't use any pry tools. The glass and that rubber trim can be damaged.

It's one of those jobs that the first time is kind of tedious, and after a couple times, still a bit of a pain, but you'll know what to expect.

Hope this helps. Hopefully more f-chatters will chime in with support.

How we love them so!

3. Miklas

Miklas Karting

Dec 10, 2018
    Luxembourg
    When I did it on my GTS I removed the glass with suction cups so that the whole glass with the rubber molding came out as one piece. When reinstalling I used the trick with a string wrapped in the rubber gutter to carefully move the rubber lip over the metal all around the molding.

JC Andruet likes this.
  4. JC Andruet

JC Andruet Karting

Jan 16, 2013
    That's the way it should be done really (and probably a lot easier with two people ...)

5. dinoart

dinoart Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2004
    Westminster CA
    Full Name:
    David
    Thank you all. Sounds like rough water ahead. I will combine all techniques mentioned above may be with a heat gun to soften the rubber.

6. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    You probably don't need a heat gun. Just firm, slow pressure.

waymar likes this.
  7. JC Andruet

JC Andruet Karting

Jan 16, 2013

And whatever you do, don't use the palm of your hand to pat the glass out. I did just that back in 1988 and the glass I was trying to remove from the car, shattered. I got a small cut on the palm of my hand, and thought nothing of it. It healed just fine, though strangely it left a scar...

Some ten years later I slipped on a flight of carpeted stairs in the house. To save myself, I put the same hand out (my right) , and when I landed, I felt a really nasty sharp, stabbing pain in the palm of my hand.

24 hours later the same spot on my palm was getting increasingly uncomfortable, and whilst rubbing a finger over the exact area, I felt something hard under the skin.

I don't visit doctors unless it's really necessary, so I figured some "self surgery" was called for. Out came a new scalpel blade, and I made a small incision where the pain was worst. Nothing was immdediately obvious, but after some further prodding a bit deeper, I felt the tip of the scalpel blade snag on something hard ...

Some further digging with the scalpel blade, and out popped ... you guessed it, a piece of toughened glass from that very same quarterlight I'd broken whilst patting it out of it's rubber all those years ago :D

TurtleFarmer, rocket50 and dinoart like this.
  8. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Didn't have any issue with mine, really. But of course, always take caution. If it's not moving in one area, shift to another.

dinoart likes this.
  9. dinoart

dinoart Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2004
    Westminster CA
    Full Name:
    David
    JC What a story and thank you for telling it! I have to admit I couldn't get that piece of glass out. It was so tight with the rubber gasket I thought I was going to tear the rubber off. I ended up used a piece of flex seal tape, super glue that connector back to the same spot in that super tight area. Originally it was soldered at the factory. I tried to resolder the first time it fell off but failed miserably. The defroster is now working again.

Talking about battle scar I also has a round burn scar on top of my right knee cap. While trying to pull the steering wheel off my Fiat Dino spider with a puller it wouldn't budge. I used a heat gun and heated up the shaft of the steering column. After a couple minutes of heat the steering wheel came off and landed on my knee cap. I got Fiat branded!

10. JC Andruet

JC Andruet Karting

Jan 16, 2013
    Good to hear your defroster's working again.
    The branding to your kneecap sounds painful and less than ideal ... :eek:

11. TommyA

TommyA Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2002
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tommy A
    I have the glass and trim removed long time ago and it's time to put it back. The upper and lower panels that attach to the side window have a channel. Does the glass seal go in there ???? Any help will be appreciated.. I picture will be even better if possible. Thanks

12. waymar

waymar Formula 3

Sep 2, 2008
    Northeast, PA - USA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Martin
    On my ‘82 308 there is a ‘lip’ the window molding goes on both sides of the lip, just like the glass panel, holding the window for falling out or in. Hope this helps.....

dinoart and TommyA like this.