seat potentiometer repair | FerrariChat

seat potentiometer repair

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by franschman, Apr 5, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. franschman

franschman Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2017
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Bart
    I had some issues with the seats in my 456 and sure enough the culprits were the seat pot meters.
    I found these, both in one seat, to be at an end position rather than somewhere in between as was to be expected considering the position of the seat.
    Interestingly, the shafts with the tiny white lips that hold on the ball on the gear wheel were not broken (as described in other threads on here), and actually everything looked to be fine, it is just that the torque required to rotate the pot meter exceeds the torque at which the coupling slips which is rather minimal.

Any suggestions to increase the slip torque?
    I've read people just glueing shaft and wheel together, but then the slip functionality is obviously gone.
    I can buy replacement shafts (https://www.ebay.nl/itm/Ferrari-355-seat-position-potentiometer-drive-repair-kit/143665671697??&mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=1346-53482-19255-0&campid=5336838664&toolid=10001&customid=kn4mlzrux1000k3x007hz), but since nothing is actually broken I feel a bit reluctant.

Bart

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. franschman

Dec 18, 2017
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Bart
    Edit; I've checked all 4 potentio meters in both seats and found 2 with broken legs, 1 slipping without being broken and one operating as intended.
    I've ordered 4 new from the gentleman on ebay.

Qavion likes this.
  3. Davidspop

Davidspop Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Lance Malcolm
    I'd be interested to see what results you have.. I have a challenge with my seats that they sometimes don't return to prior position like they should.. I think it may be the potentiometers...but I have not dug them out of the seats to check them.

4. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Be sure to use the provided tool for assembly. The legs are quite fragile and a lot of the grip comes from the metal ring.

I tested some of the prototype "claws" from the eBay guy, Nigel, on 4 or 5 old broken pots that my local Ferrari tech was saving and indeed there were was one pot which was extremely difficult to turn. There are lubricants for pots, but I don't know if they would work in this case because of the spring force on the slider and the small contact point.

Don't be shocked by the new claws' rough appearance :p

Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. franschman

Dec 18, 2017
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Bart
    I just hope they come quickly. These disassebled seats take up so much space in my garage...

6. Davidspop

Davidspop Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Lance Malcolm
    I look forward to seeing pictures of your completed 456.... from your posts you are doing a very deep rejuvenation!

7. franschman

Dec 18, 2017
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Bart
    You might say so!
    I can't wait to post pics of the finished product but prefer to wait with posting until it is actually finished, or at least road worthy.

Davidspop likes this.
  8. Jaredsalinsky

Jaredsalinsky Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 8, 2023
    tampa FL
    Full Name:
    Jared salinsky
    Hey bud just following up on this thread. Did you ever finish dealing with your seats? And do you have any pictures of the potentiometers both in the car before you took them out and after you fix them? Thanks