Why Ferrari’s ’90s-Era 512 TR Is a Fashion Statement That’s Back in Vogue | FerrariChat

Why Ferrari’s ’90s-Era 512 TR Is a Fashion Statement That’s Back in Vogue

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by sherrillt, Apr 5, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sherrillt

sherrillt Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 1, 2009
    Northern Virginia
  2. awatkins

awatkins Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2005
    SFO Peninsula
    Full Name:
    Alan Watkins
    How is that odd?

3. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Never say never... but here I go:

There will NEVER be another mid engine 12 cyl produced by Ferrari unless it is a limited production ‘halo’ car.

Natkingcolebasket69 and EZORED like this.
  4. sherrillt

sherrillt Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 1, 2009
    Northern Virginia
    #4 sherrillt, Apr 5, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2021
    Typical buyer associates the shape and car as a Testarossa, which are more commonly for sale, yet they are hyping the 512TR. I would guess if you ask 80-90% of buyers (that lack enthusiast level knowledge) do you want a Testarossa or 512TR they would overwhelming say a Testarossa followed by “What’s a 512TR?” (I know this from years of owner experience)

The article is highlighting a very niche car (512TR vs Testarossa family as a whole) and a model that isn’t commonly known in general public circles. Look at the name of even this sub forum...no 512TR mentioned. I think the majority in the Fcar enthusiast community acknowledge a 512TR is NOT a Testarossa (same family not same car) and would agree: 512=512bbi/TR=Testarossa/M=512M.....so where’s the 512TR?

ross likes this.
  5. awatkins

awatkins Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2005
    SFO Peninsula
    Full Name:
    Alan Watkins

6. awatkins

awatkins Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2005
    SFO Peninsula
    Full Name:
    Alan Watkins
    #6 awatkins, Apr 5, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2021
    They are hyping "the 512TR" because a specific 512TR is the inspiration for the article, in particular one about to be auctioned with an estimate of over a quarter million dollars which is unusually high for that model. More cynically, the article reads to me like a thinly disguised ad for that particular car.

Furthermore if you divide the text of the article into four categories, three for the specific models and one for the "Testarossa family of cars" it's about equally divided. So the article isn't really "on" the 512TR, it's just used in the title and introductory text.

Also, the title doesn't really make sense, since if a 512TR is a fashion statement then so is any car that looks like it, i.e. the Testarossa.

Also, a car's having sold poorly does not make it a "niche car". The definition of that usage is "denoting products, services, or interests that appeal to a small, specialized section of the population." The only reason a 512TR actually sells to a smaller population is because it's more expensive without being obviously different. To say that the 512TR "appeals to" a different smaller audience would require market research that I doubt exists, thus to say that it does is guesswork.

Most cars that are that similar as they evolve retain the basic name. Ferrari the company is an outlier in this case for abruptly renaming based on evolutionary changes. Perhaps they regretted not having given it a displacement-based numeric name like most of the rest.

Ultimately, all three cars are basically the same thing, with evolutionary changes made to the second two variants. I don't think it makes any practical sense to insist that the latter two not be called "Testarossas"; they are members of a family of cars that are unusually closely related for having different names. They look so similar that it is pedantic to insist that the population at large not let them all share the name of the variant that is by far the majority of the group.

Language is defined by how the majority of speaker use it, not by manufacturer marketing departments.

7. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    PS: Rumor has that Corvette is dropping their mid-engine design and is going back to the front engine layout.

Mid engine cars will always be rare and a mid engine 12, even more rare. The market is beginning to understand just how special these cars are.

Gary Sandberg and turbo-joe like this.
  8. Gary Sandberg

Gary Sandberg Formula Junior

I find it so ironic how much beating the TR takes vs the 512TR and 512M. For example, I know the lineage of Corvettes or Mustangs doesn't take that kind of punishment.

Parnelli likes this.
  9. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I personally LOVE the '86 TR, but I still haven't found anyone to tell me how to keep the wheels on!

sherrillt likes this.
  10. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    The original TR was/is a tank of a thing to drive. After 88 1/2 when they ditched the center lug and went with the 5 bolt wheel and finally mounted a true performance tire did the TR finally start to become a true performer.
    Sure they are all fast, but the newer cars with the more modern rubber really made a huge differance.

The 512TR might aswell be from another planet. Ferrari dumped the removable rear subframe and made the frame a solid member front to back. That alone made a massive differance in the feel of the car.

The updated interior really made it feel less..well..cheesey. Dumping the CIS injection for a true proper engine management system was the real wow factor in terms of power output and overall performance car driving

Even better wheels and tire combinations made a huge improvement in the ride and road holding. Steering feel is much less cement truck like, much more like unassisted sports car feel, oddly it seems a bit easier to maneuver around parking lots, despite the larger wheels and tires.

All and all..its quite understandable why the 512TR is placed above the older stuff by a large margin..because it is indeed that much better.

11. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
  12. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    you may put on a testarossa other wheels then the 16 " and you have a complete different car - by driving and by looking

MOSS, peteficarra and Gary Sandberg like this.
  13. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    I don't think there is a chance in Hell that corvette is ditching the mid engine layout! Even out here in Paradise Valley/Scottsdale, Az. which is a exotic car parking lot, and C-8 are seen on every corner. The rich guys are still talking about them and the performance to cost ratio's. Saying they just might get one. There is a reason that they are rich, because they know value when they see it and then you throw in comfort, reliability, low cost of ownership and performance! No Way! I'm guessing that you can drive the hell out of it and sell in 2 years and loose maybe $20 grand on it. Go buy a new Ferrari and that is less than you will loose in one month! My advice is buy a Testaross/512tr and a new corvette and have the best of both worlds!!! No I don't own a Chevy dealership! LOL!

14. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
  15. versamil

versamil Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2013
    Gaston, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Brian Healy
    I just drove up from Phoenix Arizona, to Oregon yesterday with a 1991 Testarossa in tow behind me with the rear half of the car exposed on a car trailer. Nothing says it's an iconic car more than a new Ford Mustang passing me, that all four windows come down and FIVE thumbs emerge from the car. This car EXCITES people. The entire trip was nothing but waves and thumbs up, from at least twenty five different cars.

16. R&D

R&D Karting

Mar 16, 2015
    USA
    Full Name:
    Kris
    msdesignltd and vincenzo like this.
  17. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Lol... missed that!

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  18. RQtetto

RQtetto Karting

Aug 15, 2012
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Robert Quisenberry
    Our cars are definitely crowd pleasers! I get the same reaction when I drive mine around. People and happy and excited to see something so rare. Many of them have their phones up, filming.

flash32 likes this.
  19. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    drove mine all weekend. lots of attention.
    exactly the same spec as the car in the article....will be curious what it achieves at auction.....

20. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
  21. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    88.5 and up (5 lugs). Single bolt custom wheels are just to high as a general rule. Mine has the 512 factory wheels and looks so close to a 512.

22. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    I have on my competiton single nut 19" wheels
    front 225/40-19 and rear 295/35-19

23. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    picture?