360 or 430 what’s best for you my situation | FerrariChat

360 or 430 what’s best for you my situation

Discussion in '360/430' started by V8haha, Apr 5, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. V8haha

V8haha Rookie

Mar 13, 2021
    Summit county
    Full Name:
    Ian Thorley
    Hello

long story short i have some incredible parents, their getting older I’m getting older and I’ve always wanted to buy them a car.

I’ll be buying them either a F360 or F430 this summer and last thing i want to do is leave them with a large repair bill. Their fully capable of affording the maintenance but i want to give them something turnkey they enjoy not something that gives them anxiety.

I read that the F430 is a more reliable car and less expensive to fix when things go wrong. I’m leaning towards an F1 430 spider or coupe. The manual will be out of budget.

i have read that i need to be worried about cracked headers cracked tail lights clutch replacements which sound like their only 5-7k to have replaced?

How about with the spider anything commonly fail on the auto tops? Looks like a very complex system.

they have owned lots of sports cars and track them often. I realize a California might be a good option but the glass over the engine is a must something they always loved.

Please let me know what you think is a better choice and why. Also when it’s time to purchase and suggestions on where to take my business and maybe where not to go?

Thanks

2. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    Maybe I'd buy someone a BMW. Maybe a MB or Porsche. A Ferrari? That's the last car I'd give as a gift. A Ferrari is not a common car or one that would be enjoyed by someone who isn't already fully taken into the brand. Ferrari's are finicky. They are easy to break. How many Ferrari owners would let their spouses drive their car? How many would turn over the keys to their aged parents?

Then there's the issue of just getting in and out of a low slung mid-engine car. Are you sure your parents are up to the task?

A 360 or 430, F1 or stick are sensitive beasts. If you do decide to actually give a Ferrari to your parents, you should get one that's CPO with a warranty. A California/Portofino/Roma might be a better choice than a 360 or 430.

Husker and kes7u like this.
  3. BlacktopRacing

BlacktopRacing Formula Junior

Sep 18, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Dale
    Unless one or both of your parents are pure sportscar driving enthusiasts, don't get them either one. They're not grand touring cars. The best way to describe them in the easiest terms is... they're street legal racecars.

catdog, one4torque and EastMemphis like this.
  4. Twosherpaz

Twosherpaz Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, CA
    Full Name:
    Private
    430 is a little safer in terms of traction control. Go that route. If they want to track this, the coupe is the better option. Given the age of the car, many other cars will be faster on the track. I might therefore suggest the spider, if your parents like the topless cars. Any tracking would be just for show.

Previous responses seem oblivious to your statement that they have tracked often. These are serious car people! What a wonderful gift for them!

Ferraris are the ultimate in sports cars. No other brand fully captures this essence.

jag-oo-r likes this.
  5. MaurizioAM

MaurizioAM Karting

Sep 5, 2018
    Plano Texas
    Full Name:
    Maurizio
    Neither. Try looking at GT models as they are meant to be driven. They seem to have some of the best maintenance history as well in terms of reliability.

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

6. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    California all the way, or the Maserati version.

7. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    430 with two year new power. Convertible. Six speed. Now that’s good boy. If they drive it they win. If they don’t you win when you inherit it.

Just sayin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jag-oo-r likes this.
  8. jag-oo-r

jag-oo-r Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    Of the comments so-far, I feel like TwoSherpaz is the only one who read the entire first-post. These parents of yours track their cars often; "this ain't your grandfather's Buick". They're obviously enthusiasts of sports cars in general, and know how they should be used. In addition to that, you say the engine-under-glass is a "must" as they've always loved that. So you're clearly on the correct cars. You're buying them their next "toy" or "dream", not their daily.

So as to the differences between them:
    Belt / chain. this tells MOST of the story from a maintenance perspective. The 360 is on "dreaded" cam-belt schedule, where the F430 is a chain motor. No maintenance is required there. While that's the most dramatic difference in maintenance, other systems in the cars follow the same path of old tech vs new tech, with the new tech winning-out in every comparison.
    An annual on a F430 if you go to the dealer is ~$1200. Cheaper if you find an indy you trust, or DIY, which is very easy on this car.
    The F430 won't be the fastest thing at the track, because it's more than a decade old now. But it IS very REWARDING at the track. it is still a drivers' car, without the sterilization that begins to creep-in with the newer, albeit faster cars. The 360 is similar, but much less HP, yet-older technology, just .... "less" of everything. And it's a TWO-Decade old car.

The 360 owners LOVE that the body lines are a little "softer". They're probably right that this is more traditional "Ferrari" styling. After the F430, the lines become VERY sharp and dramatic; a clear departure from the Ferrari of our dreams. Yet the F430 retains that classical shape, and allows the driver to look over the soft shoulders. It's a good blend, to my eye.

Though I think they'd love either, I'd say get them the F430 and take video at the unveiling, so we can all enjoy this moment with you.

9. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

@jag-oo-r - Pretty much nailed it.

I've got a coupe. I had to do the headers, tail lights, battery, F1 pump, possibly some other little things. Regardless, to me, once sorted they are solid. Basically, if you buy cheap, you'll probably spend the difference on these items. Buying expensive doesn't necessarily keep you from spending on fixing these things.

Regarding spider vs coupe. I think you answered your own question. The spider can lead to more maintenance (more moving parts), more anxiety (that it will fail), and less space to the motor. Don't get me wrong, it'd be a way cooler experience if they ride with it down all the time, but more to worry about.

Bottom line, the F430 coupe is the more reliable, lower maintenance vehicle. It's a no brainer for me if budget allows; unless the 360 is your mom or dad's lifelong dream.

jag-oo-r likes this.
  10. Zcobra1

Zcobra1 Formula 3

Oct 9, 2012
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Bert
    My answer is not going to be popular......owning a 360 and just getting a C8 Vette coupe, find a decent deal on a C8 for them......
    Warranty, decent to track, room for travel trips, and right now still new and fresh, you can not go wrong.
    Audi R8 ?

EastMemphis likes this.
  11. BlacktopRacing

BlacktopRacing Formula Junior

Sep 18, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Dale
    There is a difference between tracking cars often and cars meant to be tracked. Any car can be tracked. However, if your parents are OK with a stiff suspension, lack of luxury amenities (not even cruise control), and inconvenience when it comes to simple things, then get them the F430, just because it's newer and more of what makes mid-engined Ferraris special.

12. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

A lusso or a Cali

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Dewinator

Dewinator F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2017
    WA
    I'd say the 360 and F430 are both poor choices as one of the options that might scratch a given itch but either may be an excellent option if it's the only car that will really scratch the itch right.

14. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    If I gave an out of warranty ferrari to someone..., whom I don’t want to encounter repair bills... I would have to include a briefcase w 15-25k for possible but likely yr 1-2 issues on a 15-20 yr old f car with unknown history.. and that might be properly driven

The cars that get obsessively polished driven little and photographed often have the low repair bills.... until a real driving enthusiast purchases the car and puts it thru the paces..,

Also the cars that have been driven properly w a no limit main repair budget eventually get reliable again... after 3 yrs Of toiling my 01 gated 360 is knock-on- wood reliable thus year..... like a Toyota.

Find that car.

It might be helpful if you indicate how your parents would use this car??
    Cars and coffee.... or hit the track hpde 6 time year?

big difference in the answer

jag-oo-r and EastMemphis like this.
  15. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    Depends on the depth of your pockets.

Budget(well maybe in the first world): Buy the best sorted 360 f1 you can afford (or possibly MT). Belt changes aren’t that bad. If the f1 Baulks convert it to MT. Still be less than 430.

Moderate: f1 430

Upper: 458? May be exactly what they need.

Non ferrari:
    How bout an Audi R8- can find a stick and it would be more reliable.

F1’s are getting older even 430 so be prepared for some repairs.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

16. brookliner7

brookliner7 Formula Junior

May 5, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Hans
    I think that’s a wonderful thought, they raised a son that would do such a nice thing for them, it sounds like they would really appreciate it, and you really thought about it. As far as that goes, the F430 would be a better option in terms of maintenance over the 360, if it has not had the headers replaced you can negotiate that into the price, the clutch wear can be measured with a scan tool that will also help to negotiate price. Having a coupe avoids any of the potential hardship and heartache with the spider.

jag-oo-r and one4torque like this.
  17. V8haha

V8haha Rookie

Mar 13, 2021
    Summit county
    Full Name:
    Ian Thorley
    Thank you every one for your response it’s very helpful!
    F360 or F430 is definitely the car.

I’m thinking F430 F1 is the choice. Wish the gated 6 was in my budget but that’s not happening.

I think spider will be top of my list but they would enjoy either.

is it realistic to think that i can find a sorted nice example for 90-100?

Any common issues with the actual V8? Anything to look out for or is it pretty robust?

headers
    Tail lights
    Clutch
    Clutch actuator
    Sticky buttons
    Door latches
    Window regulators

this is what my list of things to look out for looks like after my small amount of research.

Anything else or wisdom you can provide please let me know.

also is their a very well known dealership you would recommend working with?

18. Twosherpaz

Twosherpaz Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, CA
    Full Name:
    Private
    Looks like $110-$130 on CarGurus

one4torque likes this.
  19. catdog

catdog Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2010
    had a manual gates Audi R8 V8 and found it quite boring to drive and sterile even though it checked all the boxes theoretically. It just never felt special and despite the V8 reviving to 8k rpm and having a great ride handling and traction it never tugged at my heart strings. Audi just don't know how to build an emotional sports car. I would not recommend R8... heck even my PDK 991 turbo is more exciting and fun to drive than the R8

20. craze

craze Formula 3

Mar 5, 2021
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I must admit i also drove a v8 audi r8, was extremely disappointed, had no power at all or fun, the v10 version i never drove

DiabloTerr likes this.
  21. Beach Boy

Beach Boy Rookie

Apr 1, 2021
    How about something more modern, more economical to run and track, reliable, but still in “the family” and still having the “wow” factor?

Alfa Romeo 4C coupe.

You get the rear mid engine under glass (albeit an ugly plastic cover over an ugly engine). But it’s pretty bulletproof, peppy, fun on road and track, and has a sexy carbon fiber tub. Some are still under warranty, if you feel the need to.

To quote Clarkson, you can’t be a proper petrol head until you’ve owned an Alfa.
    (Not trying to tell Ferrari owners that they aren’t ;)).

Husker likes this.
  22. Alpintourer

Alpintourer F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 20, 2013
    The Low Country
    Full Name:
    Dave Steven
    Trolling!

one4torque likes this.
  23. Beach Boy

Beach Boy Rookie

Apr 1, 2021
    If that was for me, thanks for the warm welcome :) but I can assure you that’s not the case.
    I’m here to learn before my first Ferrari purchase.
    I guess you know the guys who posted recommendations of other cars such as the R8, but you don’t know me. Fair.

I’ve driven both of the options the OP presented only briefly on track, and cannot offer useful suggestions in that respect. Wouldn’t turn my nose up at either. ;)

24. Alpintourer

Alpintourer F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 20, 2013
    The Low Country
    Full Name:
    Dave Steven
    No; for the original poster V8haha

Newbie, Low # of Posts, Very Broad Subjective Question, Obvious Lack of Research on the Site.

Beach Boy and FerRrari like this.