Purchase experience with Ferrari of Newport Beach (split from Ferrari of San Antonio thread) . | Page 7 | FerrariChat

Purchase experience with Ferrari of Newport Beach (split from Ferrari of San Antonio thread) .

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Ray Smith, Sep 27, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Ray can easily dismiss this accusation with a copy of his DD-214.
    If he no longer has a copy, he can go to this link to obtain one:
    Obtain a copy of DD-214 (va.gov)

2. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM

Let's see if he will be true to his words. I find it comical how he talked **it to Kirk.

Cigarzman likes this.
  3. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    Guys, I think Darth was just being cheeky because Mr. Smith talks/talked SO much about his “Armyness” the first year in here on FChat.

I’m no fan of the guy, but I do believe he did what he did and is who he says. We were just having some fun poking him :D

4. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    My Scud was originally purchased from Ferrari of Newport Beach and serviced in their Costa Mesa facility its entire life prior to my ownership. It was difficult for me to get previous service records and they also cited privacy issues. I was able to get some though.

I thought it was dumb at the time as all they need to do is block out previous owner’s info on the invoice, but I guess this is normal policy for them. I had them perform a leakdown test and the manager at Costa Mesa assured me I was buying a good solid car after speaking with him for an hour. This was 7-8 years ago.

This is standard procedure with them. No need to feel singled out and salty. And no, no dealership will roll back a car just for a 130 mi purposely. The risk/reward for doing so on an F430 doesn’t add up.

Everyone in Socal knows Ferrari of Newport Beach is “up there.” They have no time for nonsense.

RonH likes this.
  5. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I own/have owned a number of Ferraris and regardless of the dealership I’ve always found it difficult to attain records from anyone aside from the owner directly. Ferrari Long Island, Ferrari Tampa, Miller, Ferrari of Seattle, Ferrari of Beverly Hills and Ferrari of Houston have all rebutted my requests for service docs without prior owners written consent. It’s not unusual, it’s not malicious, and it’s not a coverup to hide miles. It’s for owner privacy and in some areas it’s the law. Many people, even with their names redacted, simply do not want their service info (inc maintenance, repairs, etc) shared with anyone. That is their right and it’s essentially agreed upon when they contract for service with the dealership (and pay for that service). The right to that info is the dealer’s and customer’s alone.

arizonaitalian and ShineKen like this.
  6. Evan430

Evan430 Rookie

Mar 12, 2021
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Evan D
    The F1 tranny records mileage along with the OD...take it to another dealer and have them pull the mileage off the transmission. It will read how many miles are on each gear.

7. V4NG0

V4NG0 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    Charles Edward Cheese
    I bought my TR from a Ferrari dealer and they provided all of the previous records without hassle. They didn’t just hand them over though; I had to request them. They only blocked out the owner’s name and contact info. Others put up a fight, as primarily they don’t want to be held accountable for work performed, and secondarily they don’t want staff tied up with admin work (redacting and distributing records). Privacy concerns are a red herring.

8. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Kind of cruel considering the heat he is taking (I mean doesn’t the name Ray Smith sound made up anyway?). My neighbor swears he saw the guy kick a dog the other day who told him nobody does a 100 mile rollback.

I would have banned him from every part of the site except this thread.

Thecadster likes this.
  9. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry

10. Circle K

Circle K Karting

Dec 21, 2017
    Full Name:
    KC
    And if you can proof the dealership was in involved in the rollback, you can also sue for punitive damages, 3x the cost of the F430

11. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    Ray is rapidly catching up to dmark1 in bans.

Thecadster likes this.
  12. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
  13. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Busy kicking people off his lawn......

14. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    So when one is accused with no evidence, it's up to the accused to prove the accuser is wrong? Not quite the American way.

15. PMiranda

PMiranda Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Just took delivery of a 2013 458 and everything was exactly as expected: cover, charger, toolkit, inflator, etc. all in the frunk with a gift basket on top :)

16. jmX

jmX Rookie

Jul 8, 2020
    Southern California
    Was it grigio silverstone, nero interior, with 69XXmi? If so...take care of her!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

ShineKen likes this.
  17. PMiranda

PMiranda Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Haha, yeah! Did you forget your CD's in the changer? I was going to mail them to the dealer tomorrow :)
    Went for the first quick drive yesterday and saw a silver 430 going the other way. The sport bikes that passed me enjoyed that I found N and threw them some revs before stopping for a snapshot:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Do you remember the mapping of ABCD to the exhaust functions?

18. jmX

jmX Rookie

Jul 8, 2020
    Southern California
    Love seeing the pic of the car in Austin. That's my hometown. That on the 360 lookout? If so I had some fun high school dates at that lookout. :D

The CDs I think are probably the previous owners - don't recall if I ever put any disks in. Either way no need to send them back. The glovebox should have had the 30 pin iPod to lightning adapter which is all I used. The way I usually had the wire was snaked through the crevice above the AC controls and then down to the cup holder area where I'd put the phone.

Instructions for the exhaust valve controller are here: http://www.forzacomponenti.com/documents/current_models/Model_B4(B4A)_Exhaust_Controller_Installation_Instructions_29nov19.pdf
    I think A is "Factory mode" (ie, how the car is stock) and B is open all the time. The other buttons don't offer any additional functionality. You can switch it to be open by default, but I was trying to be nice to my neighbors so I left it defaulting to factory functionality. The controller is under the left engine cover near the passenger compartment glass window. Easy to get to if you ever want to change it.

Also I have a custom 8" sub box from scuderia audio that I never installed - upholstered specifically for that car (black leather w/silver stitching). It'll be put up for sale on here one day, msg me if you're interested. I never could bring myself to do the sub install as the engine sounded so good and I didn't want to cut into any wiring.

19. PMiranda

PMiranda Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Small world, eh? The adaptor worked fine, thanks, now I have two :) Maybe if I take it out of town I'll actually want to hear something but the engine. I think I do have to get a bit out of town to open her up. Too much traffic these days!

20. mixxalot@yahoo.com

[email protected] Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2006
    Carmichael, CA
    Full Name:
    JD
    Yikes sorry to hear this. I will definitely avoid this Ferrari of Newport dealer.

21. PMiranda

PMiranda Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Um, read more of the thread. They’re fine. Hearing one side of a bad experience should be taken with a grain of salt

GatorFL, 020147 and RonH like this.
  22. Mickyd329

Mickyd329 Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2019
    Orange County Socal
    Full Name:
    Mike
    How long have you had your Pista? Just curious as it looks like the one I recently sold to a dealer in Newport Beach.

23. 020147

020147 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2006
    Midwest
    My lord I actually forgot about one really dastardly thing Newport did to me. They overcharged me for my car! One day I go to get my mail and find I have a letter from them. Through no prompting of my own, they reimbursed me for the difference, $18.00. In a fit of rage I never cashed it. Obviously this frees me up to complain about how awful the dealer treated me on web forums instead. :)

But in all seriousness I’m going to frame it, as I’m almost positive that it’s the only time a Ferrari dealer will owe me money. Newport were consummate professionals through and through! I would buy again without hesitation sight unseen just like my last purchase.

Sinnerman and GatorFL like this.
  24. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    I unfortunately did not have such great experience with Newport and its service. Chris from sales just turned me off completely. If it were not for the fact that I needed to make the purchase of FF within a week for my wife's birthday, I would not buy it from George at Newport. Comparing to Chris, George was so much easier to tolerate. Note that George left Newport and started his own used car business now. Moving forward, Newport service department also paled in comparison to Beverly Hills where I serviced my 458. Darko in the service department allowed my FF to come back to me with the new alignment setting that would exacerbate the tire tissue that I have changed to a new set of new tires for. When being challenged, Darko admitted he was not careful enough. I busted him for giving me the random alignment sheet as the sequent data sheet he gave me was showing even worse setting than the first one. I need to put my foot down to have the alignment fee refund because I just didn't think they deserved my business and I wanted to make a point. He should feel very fortunate that I didn't escalate it.

So for me, Newport was not up to the standard I am used to, both sales and service. Scott from Beverly Hill on the other hands has been top notch from day 1, so I didn't mind keep buying the extended warranty for both cars from Beverly Hills, even though I never got to use them.

25. jmX

jmX Rookie

Jul 8, 2020
    Southern California
    White stripes black wheels? Lambo of NB? PPF from PFS in OC?