Does the fact that my 1995 F355 GTS (verde/tan) is imported from Europe affect resale value in US? | FerrariChat

Does the fact that my 1995 F355 GTS (verde/tan) is imported from Europe affect resale value in US?

Discussion in '348/355' started by Ben Bliss, Apr 1, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ben Bliss

Ben Bliss Rookie

Jan 2, 2019
    NYC; all over
    Full Name:
    Mr Bliss
    I’m importing an F355 from Europe. It’s 25 years old so there are no FMVSS/EPA/DOT issues. It’s in full compliance, all paperwork and import materials sorted.

Will the fact that it is imported, (speedo in KM, oblong license plate holder, etc.) affect resale price in the US? I wouldn’t hesitate to buy an EU-delivered model in the states, but I’m not an expert. Also the fact that the verde/tan combo is very rare could help...

Thanks for your thoughts.

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #2 Steve Magnusson, Apr 1, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2021
    What state are you in? Pretty sure that it couldn't be resold in CA. Wouldn't be a negative for me, personally, but don't you still:

"Finally, even if you have imported a 25-year-old roadworthy classic beauty from Europe, it has to comply with US safety and crash standards put forward by the EPA and DOT. You should be ready to modify your classic vehicle if necessary to meet the safety and crash requirements."

e.g., side marker lights, door reinforcements, etc..

https://www.shipoverseas.com/blog/classic-car-import-cars-europe-usa/

PS Always like seeing models in verde -- even weird verde (germoglio -- which goes so complementarily well with black trim and black tires IMO) ;)

Ben Bliss likes this.
  3. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    Sounds like a nice car, who cares what the resale is, keep it , drive it , and have fun. If not, buy one here and do the same.

Thank you

Ben Bliss likes this.
  4. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Resale value might not matter 5 years from now as buyers will buy what they can get due to limited availability in the market. Plus. I think the euro version has much better visual features than our U.S version.

Ben Bliss likes this.
  5. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    Resale will be ever so slightly different. Think 3-5k maximum to answer your question.

Call me when you’re done. I’ll take it without a discount. Call me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ben Bliss likes this.
  6. max930

max930 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    With certain buyers, yes. I'm in Canada. Instead of a 25-year rule, ours is 15. Lot's of Japanese market cars here, I avoid them. We also have a lot of former American market cars here. I also avoid them. But I might be in the minority here or dealers wouldn't import them.

7. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Currently, 355 prices in Europe are very similar to prices in North America. Perhaps even 10-20% more in some cases. Add in the importing costs and hassle and you brought in a pricey car.

With limited availability of cars now and in the near future, I don’t see an abundance of sellers willing to take huge losses for their efforts. That should help keep the imported market supported.

Euro 355s tend to have better/rarer specs and color combinations or at least in more abundance than in North America. My advice is to bring in rare, but desirable specs. And you’ll be safer bringing in a manual GTB/S. Cars equipped with pre-airbag steering wheel or carbon sport seats is a big plus.

Verde/tan, might be rare and beautiful to you, but not many are after a verde 355 or a verde Ferrari in general. If you’re lucky, you might find a buyer who REALLY wants verde and you might get close to your ask.

8. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Your euro Super America's etc get dinged quite a bit from that same time period. 355's probably not as much, but still something.

9. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
  10. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    My fear as a buyer is there a way to know the history??
    Is there Carfax etc overseas....

11. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    I think your color combination is a bigger problem than a euro car.

gt1995 likes this.
  12. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Another way of looking at it is some people have been searching for a perfect color F355 for years and will probably never find it.

I like verde but if you can buy it at a discount and do a color change you might end up with your dream car instead of nothing at all. :)

13. aatk

aatk Rookie

Nov 24, 2017
  14. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    About a year too late. Market’s up 50% :).

ScottS likes this.
  15. aatk

aatk Rookie

Nov 24, 2017
    I know.
    Hence my somewhat tongue in cheek comment.

ShineKen likes this.