Wax over PPF | FerrariChat

Wax over PPF

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by cole328, Apr 6, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    Hi All....I am the happy owner of a black '07 f430. When I bought the car two years ago, I had a full detail put on it (Paint was actually in very good shape from my perspective), and then had PPF put on the front end, half of the hood and quarter panels, and the mirrors. Its held up quite well, and no yellowing that I can discern.

The car is garage kept, and while I try to drive it every weekend, living in sunny S FL, it stays remarkably clean. So much so, that I have only had to wash it maybe 3 times in two years. I generally wipe it down after each drive with a reputable product from Chemical Brothers (like a quick mist detailer to remove the light dust).

However, to keep the car shiny, I do wax it every 4-6 months. But, the question it, should I be putting anything on the PPF?, or simply wax the paint, as I have been doing? I had read some prior posts, and some people said leave it alone and others said was OK to apply some wax, as long as there were minimal chemicals in it.

Any advice would be appreciated.

thanks!

2. ShadowLAP

ShadowLAP Formula Junior

May 15, 2017
    SW Suburbs of Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Lawrence P.
    I have had PPF applied to my former 360 Spider, my current 458 Spider and a C7 Corvette. I have followed the philosophy of treating PPF like paint. I wax (ceramic wax) with excellent results. The wax gives my PPF a very deep shine and an consistent gloss to the entire car.

3. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    if money not a concern i wld ceramic over the ppf and wax/sealer over the paint.

4. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    OK super thanks for the quick replies ....thanks!

I recall now that prior advice was to make sure that the wax you will be using does not contain Kerosene or Naphtha in over 5% concentration, or any dyes how on earth would one know that??

5. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    life is short. PPF isn't permanent. dont kill any extra brain cells.

6. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    ha...well said I am a tad ODC at times thanks TT~!

7. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    totally understandable and i have obsessed over small things in the past and usually look back thinking wtf....ive had 80 cars in 20 yrs so trust me i know what you mean

8. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano

As mentioned above, you can treat the PPF just like the clear coat/paint on the rest of the car. As a finishing sealer try CarPro Reload. No affiliation with the product or company but its amazing and perfect for us OCD people :)

9. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I forgot that i have Feynlab ceramic on my PPF— i was thinking they said no wax b/c of wrap.

10. Bill Phillips

Bill Phillips Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2019
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I had PPF installed on my front half, from the door hinges forward plus the mirrors, then treated with a ceramic coating over the entire car. I second the recommendation of CarPro Reload as a touch up.

11. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    If anyone wants to cringe check out ammo’s last video with the black 458. He removed ppf. Painful to watch.

Falcon7x and BMW.SauberF1Team like this.
  12. Bill Phillips

Bill Phillips Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2019
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Sure was. Turned out nice though, that guy’s a magician. In a way it ticked me off - anybody who mistreats a 458 that badly doesn’t deserve to have it refreshed like that.

NuorderSG likes this.