C8 CORVETTE | Page 53 | FerrariChat

C8 CORVETTE

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by BJK, Jan 18, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Believe it or not, a lot of mechanics don't understand the realities of a mid-engine car. They are so used to working with front engine that they don't realize the weight has shifted. Some don't understand or appreciate the lift points.

I know of a Volvo dealership that lost a DMC this way. It had a Volvo engine -- but in the back. Oops.

In my shop it was required to test the balance of the car just an inch off the ground before lifting it. We also required 2 mechanics to tighten the wheels to spec.

of2worlds likes this.
  2. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Most cars have marked points where the lift must go? Are they not following procedure? Im also thinking a vette is something many Chevy dealerships are not up to, although to be fair the service quality at my chev dealer is way way better than the local mercedes..
    Agreed on the 2 mechanics to tighten the bolts. I always check mine, and its not pretty. Thats before we even get into Tq spec. I also always check my oil level after a service.

Since I track a lot, I always check wheel nut TQs before pulling the car off the trailer, even though Im the one who did the wheels, and even though I always check each nut twice, its a ritual.

3. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Didn't GM install bright lifting arrow decals on the bottom of all C8's after the first incident?

4. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I am not 100% sure of this but I can guess from experience.

When you work as a mechanic in a US car dealership, you are a cog in the system. The cars move in, the cars move out. You get an SUV, you get a Corvette. You get into a rhythm. You are given so much time to do each job by the book. That's when someone sends you something different or unusual and you make a mistake. Almost no US dealerships can afford to have a dedicated C8 mechanic but I'm sure they have some training. But if you don't work on them often, stuff happens.

And remember when this happens it gets a lot of social media attention. A lot of cars have lift issues across the country every day.

I remember the Northridge quake in LA. The County of LA went into lockdown. It was our shop policy that every car come off the lift at night -- if possible. Sometimes you can't because there are no wheels or suspension or even engine but at least you can lower it. But did we that night?. I was trying to remember for the 3 days I was not allowed to return if we had any cars on the lift and what I might find when I finally get in. Luckily, we didn't and had almost no damage at all. WHEW!

anunakki and Pawilly like this.
  5. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
  6. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Exactly. It should not happen -- but occasionally it does with mid and rear engine cars

7. darkkaangel

darkkaangel Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2007
    North Texas
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    There is no cost to join and its a pretty good forum, I am on there.

pearsonhaus and DIGMAN52 like this.
  8. luvair

luvair Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    Correct, there is no cost to join. To me, it's a better forum for C-8's.

pearsonhaus and DIGMAN52 like this.
  9. GTS Bruce

GTS Bruce Pisses in your Cheerios

Oct 10, 2012
    Orchard Park NY
    Full Name:
    Bruce Roche
    Midenginecorvetteforum is much better. BS,sniping,and politics are not allowed.

DIGMAN52 likes this.
  10. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #1310 TheMayor, Mar 27, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2021
    Apparently GM has told all the dealers to stop taking any new 2021 orders OUTSIDE of their allocation. If you don't have a "yet to be sold" allocation for a MY 2021, you can't place an order for the rest of this model year. AND, you can't take an order for 2022 yet.

What I suspect is they don't want to roll over a lot of 2021 MY orders into 2022 like they did 2020's to 21's. The reason I suspect is there's going to be a price increase in 2022 and they are worried people will be upset if they want to buy (and probably put down a deposit) for a 21 at today's price but are told they aren't getting one and oh, by the way, the 2022 is higher in price.

Some people were upset that their 2020 got moved to 21 and there were price increases on accessories as well as color choices changing.

GM must feel they have sold out MY 2021 orders. No new orders can be taken until July when they will be MY 2022 cars probably starting to be made in September.

Boomhauer and jm2 like this.
  11. luvair

luvair Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    Makes sense, plus with all the parts / chips shortage.

Fwiw, dealer told me, the ZO6 will be order-able in August 2021. It’s 3” wider (for tires) than the current model. That’s wide considering the size of the new Corvette.

I’m toying finding a used HTC that is unique for a mass production Corvette.

sainthoo likes this.
  12. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
  13. luvair

luvair Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    From what I read, it was a dealer that didn’t train the employee about the C-8 lift points.

I didn’t know, the C-7 was about 50 50 weight distribution, C-8 is 40 60 and 200 pounds heavier.

14. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    #1314 BJK, Apr 5, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2021
    Boomhauer and jm2 like this.
  15. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
  16. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    #1316 BJK, Apr 6, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
    VAF84, boxerman, Nicolas21 and 2 others like this.
  17. GTS Bruce

GTS Bruce Pisses in your Cheerios

Oct 10, 2012
    Orchard Park NY
    Full Name:
    Bruce Roche
    Definitely a standout.Ridiculous doors that lambo no longer uses. Rear air intakes, not body color matched scars,and useless aero decorations. Only thing missing is a screaming chicken on the hood and some underbody neon lights. Then how about some chrome strips and a sprint car wing mounted on top.

18. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    Boomhauer, Pawilly and k wright like this.
  19. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    There are English subtitles:

20. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
  21. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Was having outdoor dinner in palm beach so got to watch the parade of cars from the table.
    No1 in my book was a grey F8, compartively small and all purposeful.
    No2 was the C8, still very much the exotic, maybe a a bit big but carried the part perfectly and sounded great pulling away from the stoplight.
    No3 was the hurucan, a bit too in your face and outre, tryign too hard and exagertaed noise..

C8s are now a dime a dozen, but 80% seem to be driven by older women in south florida, an easy to use lux Gt that looks the exotic part. Gm hit the ball out the park on this one.

Hopefully the z06 can really dance for those who seek the other parts of the exotic experience.

VAF84 and DIGMAN52 like this.
  22. luvair

luvair Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    Actually, I'm seriously seeking a 3LT HTC after driving a friend's coupe yesterday. My friend who is a collector and racer - said if his 488 is a 10 of 10, his Corvette is at least an 8 of 10, and most importantly, he doesn't need to worry about it. Surely a bunch on the roads/cars and coffee, like Porsches.

Still, dealers are gauging with pricing until BG catches up a bit more in building 400 a day. Spoke with one "private" seller who said he flips C-8's with his dealer just to make money. Registers them in MT, and then resells them as a private sale.

VAF84 and DIGMAN52 like this.
  23. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    #1323 boxerman, Apr 11, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2021

I think that fair coment 10/10 vs 8/10.

in reality most dont drive either car to 70% of their capabilities on road so the differences are down to feel. In that sense the corvette is bigger and more of a Gt, plus easier to keep although prob less exciting than the ferrai.. Its also 1/4 the cost.

Money no object the F8 is simply more desireable for the enthusiast driver on any number of fronts, but so far were talking only about essential base vettes. When the z06 and zr1 come out the discussion may evolve further, or maybe they'll just be too heavy.

In any event to be seriously comparing a vette in the same breath to a ferrari or good porche, when was the last time that happened other than on cost, 1964? Yes I know the c6 and c7 put down some good numbers but they were crude and lacked any finesse, at best they were bang for the buck. the c8 is truly in exotic territory and an actual contender..
    Imo its shortcomings are bulk and weight, well see how the z06 approaches this.

Style wise the C8 front end leaves little on the table, its agressive and excllent, from the side it does the stealth fighter look (which is quintessentialy american) very well. In that sense it harkens back to the jet fighter themes from the golden era of usa cars in the 50s and 60s with a valid 21st century interpretation. The rear though, Ive seen better on a camaro and the cool tailights dont change this.

I like to think of the c8 as an aventador that works.

VAF84 likes this.
  24. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    The reason why I bought my HTC was because I wanted something pretty quick and fun to drive that I didn't have to worry about. And, that's exactly what I got. It does not have the engine of the 458 but its not a PITA to take anywhere either.

What I didn't know is that it was loaded with cameras that really make owning an exotic a lot easier. Parking, backing up, and lane changes are drama free.

I think until demand catches up with supply used prices are doing to be high. Right now if you tried even at the big dealers to order a car, you're probably looking at close to a year. For a car made in high volume in the USA, that's almost unheard of. Chevy told dealers to stop taking orders on 2021 already and wait until July to start taking 2022. Have you ever heard of a US car company telling dealers not to take orders before?

Also remember if you want a used HTC, only about 15% of them will be made that way and they started a good nine months after the Coupes. So they are still pretty rare. Ferrari's are closer to 50% spiders. But Ferrari's don't all come with a targa like the C8 so its a pretty expensive option for a lot of owners to check. Its a really good pop top though. I use it every day.

I got a call about 2 campaigns on my car so I have to take it into the dealer. This will be my first test of Chevy service. I have a minor problem with the Info screen I want them to fix as well. Let's see how it goes.... dealer service could be the knock against the C8 but I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt until I experience it myself.

Wikdstrate, thecarreaper and jm2 like this.
  25. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    Just a correction, FYI. Bowling Green is running at full capacity (2 shifts) and producing 186 cars per day.

TheMayor likes this.