Wax over PPF | FerrariChat

Wax over PPF

Discussion in '360/430' started by cole328, Apr 6, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    hi gents I am also going to post this in the detail section, but thought I might get a quicker reply from my local comrades.

I am the happy owner of a black '07 f430. When I bought the car two years ago, I had a full detail put on it (Paint was actually in very good shape from my perspective), and then had PPF put on the front end, half of the hood and quarter panels, and the mirrors. Its held up quite well, and no yellowing that I can discern.

The car is garage kept, and while I try to drive it every weekend, living in sunny S FL, it stays remarkably clean. So much so, that I have only had to wash it maybe 3 times in two years. I generally wipe it down after each drive with a reputable product from Chemical Brothers (like a quick mist detailer to remove the light dust).

However, to keep the car shiny, I do wax it every 4-6 months. But, the question it, should I be putting anything on the PPF?, or simply wax the paint, as I have been doing? I had read some prior posts, and some people said leave it alone and others said was OK to apply some wax, as long as there were minimal chemicals in it.

Any advice would be appreciated.

thanks!

2. Dewinator

Dewinator F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2017
    WA
    You have to wax or apply a special ppf equivalent over the film or it will yellow in the sun.

3. Daryl Zernick

Daryl Zernick Karting

Jul 7, 2020
    South Bend, IN
    Full Name:
    Daryl A. Zernick
    I'm actually getting the front of mine PPF'd and ceramic coating over the entire car AFTER the PPF is installed. I am told this method has worked well for several other exotics, producing a better than factory look. We will see. The products being used are: 10 year warranty Llumar Platinum PPF and CQuartz Finest ceramic coating.

If I were you, I'd contact the manufacturer of your PPF, tell them the product you installed, and ask them for their advice on what exactly to use if you should be using anything.

DOWORKFCAR likes this.
  4. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    I just used Chemical Guys Butter Wet Wax on my 2009 Grigio Titanio, F430. It came out great. The PPF and the paint is almost mirror-like.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

5. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    I love the chemical guys' products I'll check that out mine is black, so always looking for something to give it that ultra deep shine

6. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    I used a variable circular polishing machine to apply and polish the wax.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

7. DrivnXcitment

DrivnXcitment Karting

Apr 29, 2006
    St. Augustine, FL
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    DO NOT use a polishing machine, orbital buffer, random buffer, etc on PPF film. It will scratch it over time and prematurely wear it. I know this from experience. Hand wax your PPF and it will last longer and look better. The wax helps prevent the yellowing as well. I use my portacable buffer for everything except the PPF, and then hand wax the film now. You'll be glad you did.

8. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    thanks much (thumbs up)

9. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I would recommend a sealant (or better yet ceramic) as opposed to wax. The latter only lasts a week or two; sealant will last 2-3 months on average but up to 6. Ceramic lasts YEARS.

ifeelfree0, whatheheck and clean512 like this.