Probably a dumb question | FerrariChat

Probably a dumb question

Discussion in '348/355' started by judd10, Apr 6, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. judd10

judd10 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 30, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Driving behind a few new Lambos and other sports cars, I've noticed that even some of these newer models sound like they are backfiring and sputtering when slowing down. To me, the loud exhaust and backfire/misfire noises sound terrible. I have always associated that with older, carbureted cars or aftermarket exhausts. I clearly have no clue. Does anyone know what's causing that? Do others like or dislike that sound? I'm very happy that my 355 has never sounded like it's backfiring!

2. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Computer programming is causing it. They literally designed the flatulence into the fuel mapping to sound "cool." My 991 had this "feature" (one of the reasons I sold it). It's completely made-up. I've been driving carbureted cars my whole life and none of them do that.

3. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    People tune modern cars to do that they call it ‘pops and bangs’. Sounds so artificial and not well running for sure.

judd10 and George Vosburgh like this.
  4. 76Steel

76Steel Formula 3

Sep 8, 2007
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Properly set up Carburated cars won’t sputter. I am also not a huge fan of this as well as the built-in rev matching cars have now. Yes, I perhaps sound like not a race car driver, but so be it in my eyes. Leaves room for improvement.

judd10 likes this.
  5. KevZep

KevZep Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2020
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Kevin Bennett
    Cam timing, high valve lift, long cam duration with lots of overlap, and un-burnt fuel igniting in the exhaust headers.
    Its a typical by product of many race engines, not specific to carbs, I feel some manufacturers program it into the fuel map so people feel like they're driving a race car.
    There is some benefit as the un-burnt fuel does help to cool things down on overrun among other things........
    So whilst its a simple by product of a proper race engine, some buffoons want to have this happen in their road cars for the "cool factor".

judd10 likes this.
  6. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I'm also curious why some 355 even spit out fire? I've reved mine quite a few times at night, there's definitely no fire that comes out the back.
    I suppose if you had a leaky injector, maybe that would happen.

7. FourthAlfa

FourthAlfa Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 15, 2015
    Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Andrew Love
    In a modern engine it is definitely done for the "cool factor", and doesn't increase performance. Carbureted engines had a bit of that, I would call it more of a "burble" on run down, rather than popping and banging. The popping and banging that happens is usually done in an turbocharged race engine (think WRC) and some very racey turbocharged road cars (F40), where fuel is intentionally dumped and ignited in the exhaust during rev-down in order to keep the turbo speed high to avoid a lag during the next acceleration. Often called bang-bang or anti-lag. I don't think even the wildest amount of valve overlap in a naturally aspirated engine would legitimately cause a "bang" of that magnitude, unless done solely for effect. It seems to me that some of the newer vehicles are almost trying to mimic this anti-turbolag "coolness", even if the engine is not turbocharged....
    An F355 does occasionally pop when shifting at the redline, and I would be lying if I said that wasn't cool :)

judd10 likes this.
  8. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    Mine spat out fire on redline up shifts with cat less Y Pipe. Not so much with OEM Y Pipe.

9. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Looking forward to premature catalytic converter failure, anyone?

Qavion likes this.
  10. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I will say, our cars have an awesome rumble when cruising around 3,000 RPM or so, in gear If you just slightly tap the gas. One of my favorite things about it

11. FourthAlfa

FourthAlfa Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 15, 2015
    Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Andrew Love
    I think it really is the best sounding engines of all time, not only for the high rpm shriek, but the idle sounds amazing (almost like a 2 stroke engine), and in the dense urban area when going slow (3200rpm is 2nd gear for example) the hollow horn / oboe type noise echoing off the buildings is just fantastic. And to the point of the thread the legitimate "pop" on a high rpm shift is icing on the cake.

judd10 and MAD828 like this.
  12. Donkeykong87

Donkeykong87 Karting

Aug 31, 2020
    Peoria, IL
    Full Name:
    Johnny Smith
    I’ve also driven carbureted cars my whole life, and EVERY one of them has done that on hard deceleration, especially in the cold.

13. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

My '77 308 only popped in the cold on hard deceleration.

14. Donkeykong87

Donkeykong87 Karting

Aug 31, 2020
    Peoria, IL
    Full Name:
    Johnny Smith
    My ‘68 Javelin, 65 ‘Fastback, ‘70 Chevelle, ‘68 Fastback, both Factory Five Cobras, ‘66 Corvette and ‘85 C10 all did it. Perhaps not all the time, but definitely when decelerating in the cold and definitely if I was just coasting down a hill.

15. KevZep

KevZep Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2020
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Kevin Bennett
    I forgot to mention in my post, its even easier to make it happen in a newer engine as almost all new engines have variable camshaft timing, so this can be adjusted by the ECU to maximize and have a nice flat torque curve all the way through the rev range. You can also program it to have massive amounts of overlap for extra scavenging effect and so on and so forth.
    This with a few extra squirts of fuel can ignite and produce nice big ass flames out your exhaust system, especially with no cats........
    My completely stock Euro 348 flames out the exhaust and has some nice cackles with the straight pipe, no cat exhaust.....

16. FourthAlfa

FourthAlfa Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 15, 2015
    Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Andrew Love
    my Alfa GTV with weber carbs "burbles" on decel (sounds great by the way). If it goes "bang" that is a sign that it is too lean (as others mentioned - happens when the engine is cold)

Targatime likes this.
  17. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    My 360 does it a little when cold on overrun (decelerating) with my foot off the go pedal.
    My '83 Mondial (not carburettor) used to do it all the time but a low deep popping. I though it did sound cool.
    New cars as mentioned have it programmed in and do it way too often and to me sound false.

Bikes still do it I think.

18. spaghetti_jet

spaghetti_jet Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2005
    Europa
    Full Name:
    Bob
    the recipe for blue flames for my 355 was straight through pipes and an el-cheapo unbranded exhaust box. I had blue flames out of the tail-pipes from about 6,500 RPM to red line.

Anyway, I took all that stuff off and currently run a totally stock factory exhaust system (due to draconian noise regs where I now live).

No flames, not as glorious sound but on the plus side, it doesn’t stink.