458 - Best tires for a Ferrari 458 Italia , wheels are front 20X9 and rear 21X12 ???? Help | FerrariChat

458 Best tires for a Ferrari 458 Italia , wheels are front 20X9 and rear 21X12 ???? Help

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Ariporsche, Apr 7, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ariporsche

Ariporsche Rookie

Dec 4, 2020
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Ariel Marmolejos
    Best tires for a Ferrari 458 Italia , wheels are front 20X9 and rear 21X12 ???? Help

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. PMiranda

PMiranda Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2004
    Austin, TX
  3. Ariporsche

Ariporsche Rookie

Dec 4, 2020
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Ariel Marmolejos
    I have 325/35/21 in the rear pzeros runflats and 245/30/20 in the front car is not stable and I have Vossen wheels

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  4. PMiranda

PMiranda Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2004
    Austin, TX
    So stock fronts are 235's, and stock rears 295. Between the slimmer sidewall, stiffer runflats, and slightly wider section I'm guessing the front end feels more "darty" over bumps? Are there other times it feels unstable? Are you feeling it mostly through the wheel effort getting lighter, jumping around a little when the pavement is uneven, or something else? Are you feeling the car moving around through your seat instead?

The other thing that can hurt you with aftermarket wheels is the offset. Negative offset (or adding spacers) pushes the tires out, which fills the wheelwells more, allows wider wheels/tires without rubbing the inside in turns, and looks sweet but also makes the front end more "responsive" than you might like.

The wider rear tires will be more likely to respond unexpectedly to uneven pavement, giving you some undesired rear steering effect, usually right after the fronts have already done their own dance over that undulation so at speed it will all come at you pretty dynamically!

If you haven't already, get the alignment checked. toe-out will reduce stability and would be quick and easy to fix. They could also tell you if the aftermarket wheels have given you a wider track than stock, but there's no cheap fix for that. If you go to a shop that does setup for racecars and track days they should have some good specific feedback.

Going to a normal summer tire instead of runflats will make the setup more compliant and forgiving, so that's a fine second step.

5. axlesofevil

axlesofevil Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    As far as tire compound, I think Michelin 4S is great value for money. I use them for street and light track duty to great effect.

From what I know Ferrari tuned the traction/stability control pretty tightly around the stock wheel/tire sizes. If you change any of that -- especially the diameter of the tires -- you mess with the computer-controlled systems (caveat, though, I am not a Ferrari engineer and can't speak to how much the system is affected).

Your tire sizes seem to be pretty far off from OEM. Especially the rears. You can use tools like https://tiresize.com/comparison/ to see just how much you've changed. Here are yours:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Your fronts are 2.6% smaller in diameter while your rears are 6.8% larger. What are you trying to achieve with your aftermarket setup? Is it just for aesthetics? If so you may have to just live with the change in behavior. I'm not sure how much tire compound will help, though if you haven't already make sure that the alignment is correct which might help some things.

6. kumar75150

kumar75150 Rookie

Feb 20, 2006
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Kumar
    Michelin Pilot Sport 4S

255/30/20 or 245/30/20 in the front
    325/25/21 in the rear

Are you sure you have 325/35/21? If so, that's the biggest problem.

I know some people want to run an Italian tire on an Italian car but the Michelins are much better than the Pirellis IMO.

7. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Okay, let's "clean" this up a bit.

For the OP, what you want for that setup is 255/35R20 and 325/30R21 if your offset allows in the front.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Sport+4S&frontTire=535YR0PS4SXL&rearTire=23YR1PS4SXL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

If your front offset is overly aggressive for looks, you will have to run the 325 in the rear but a 245 in the front. Both are available as MPS4S.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Sport+4S&frontTire=435YR0PS4SXLN0&rearTire=23YR1PS4SXLND0&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

Best thing would have been an 11.5" wide rear instead of a 12" so that you could have run 315 section shoes with the 255 fronts.

325 is the narrowest you can go in the back, and either the 245 or 255 in the front. Neither will cause ESC issues, but the 255 will definitely drive better than the 245 as it has a much better chance of controlling that wide rear.

458 Spider 0414 likes this.
  8. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    You really have to check your tyres, because that rear size does not exist, nor would that size ever fit the 458 without severe rubbing. You have Pzero in 325/30R21 which is available as a runflat - made for a BMW which usually means that the tyre has built in camber...

Are you sure your fronts are really 30 aspect shoes? That's utterly insane if that's true.

At any rate, no matter whether your fronts are 30 or 35 aspect tyres, those BMW runflat PZero's are a major factor in your cars problems. You have a tyre that is already known for its instability, and then you get it in a version with an even stiffer sidewall, and to add insult to injury it's a tyre which needs a very specific rear end alignment. That's no bueno. And if what you say about the 30 aspect ratio is true, your ESC and ABS is all messed up trying to figure out why the wheels are rotating at incorrect speeds - it was never designed to do what you are asking it to do. Look at it this way. Originally the 458 had front tyres with a diameter of 26.5" and rears with a diameter of 28.1". You have fronts that are 25.8" and rears that are 28.7". That's just nuts.

What on earth kind of shop sold you that crap? They should be utterly ashamed of themselves. Name them so people know to stay the heck away!

Anyhow, get those things off of your car, and I mean NOW! What you are doing is beyond dangerous. Get either of the options I suggested to the OP so that you can enjoy your car and not kill yourself or others in the process.

458 Spider 0414 and Mikael-F360 like this.
  9. Ariporsche

Ariporsche Rookie

Dec 4, 2020
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Ariel Marmolejos
    You are write I made a mistake I have 325/30/21 in the rear and 245/35/20 95w in the front

10. Ariporsche

Ariporsche Rookie

Dec 4, 2020
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Ariel Marmolejos
    Thanks for the info , that’s what I wanted ti here

11. Ariporsche

Ariporsche Rookie

Dec 4, 2020
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Ariel Marmolejos
    Is this a good configuration? They are selling me wheels ???
    21 Front 255/30/R21
    22 Rear 335/25/R22
    I’m not liking the vossen i have on now

12. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Who are "they"?

As long as you don't track your car or do it for better performance, it will work.

Just make sure they know what they are doing with offsets, otherwise those fronts will rub.

I hope this is not the same place that sold you those stupid runflats for the Vossen's? I wouldn't trust a store who did that to put wheels on a minivan.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

13. Ariporsche

Ariporsche Rookie

Dec 4, 2020
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Ariel Marmolejos
    458 Spider 0414 likes this.