Dipstick tube removal tip (to remove the oil pan) | FerrariChat

Dipstick tube removal tip (to remove the oil pan)

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by RGigante, Apr 29, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RGigante

RGigante F1 Rookie
    Owner Project Master

Nov 1, 2006
    Portugal
    #1 RGigante, Apr 29, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    When I've decided to replace the gearshaft seals on my 328 I had no idea it would be so hard to remove the dipstick tube. I've managed to access it from underneath, with the car on jack stands. I just needed to take the breather tube from the alternator out of the way to get to the bottom of the dipstick.

The real problem is that the dipstick is attached to a union that in turn attaches to the sump. The dipstick is frequently stuck to the union, so when you try to remove the dipstick you end up loosening the union and not the dipstick! This is what happened to me. The addicional problem is that the engine mount doesn't allow you to put a wrench on the union to keep it from rotating. There's just no space left .... even the 27mm wrench for the dipstick is a bit hard to rotate, but possible.

So this is what I did, after a couple of hours fighting it: I got a 10mm Allen key that perfectly fitted the space left between the engine mount and the union, keeping the face of the union paralel to the engine mount. I had to tighten the 27mm nut a bit first, and it came right out! I hope that this can help others with the same problem.

Don't forget that you have to remove the tube that fits inside the union. That's what prevents the sump removal! In my case there were signs that someone has tried to force the sump out without removing the tube.

And since one picture is worth a thousand words ... here's three !
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Stimorolgum

Stimorolgum Rookie

Jan 16, 2021
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Thank you for sharing.

I have the uppen nut and tube off, but the tube going into the sump only comes up a few centimeters.
    It has probably been damaged and wont slide through.
    Need to find a deep socket and a way to loosen the lower nut.

What a stupid design o_O

3. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    It's a pretty easy job if you have the right tools. A couple cheap wrenches, cut & ground to fit will do the trick. Removing the motor mount will make it even easier.

4. Stimorolgum

Stimorolgum Rookie

Jan 16, 2021
    Full Name:
    Martin
    I found the breaker bar working perfectly, got the movement up and down to clear.

Here is a picture of the damaged tube that wouldn't slide through.