Any Launch X-431 Users Here? | FerrariChat

Any Launch X-431 Users Here?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Blacksport350, Aug 24, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Blacksport350

Blacksport350 Rookie

Aug 22, 2020
    Full Name:
    Carl Jerritts
    I tried this over in the F430 section with little luck. I'm looking for others with the Launch X-431 diagnostic tools that I can ask some questions of but only if you have a version that allows you to access the special procedures.

Thanks!

2. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    I have the Launch Tech USA X-431 Torque. It includes special functions fr the 430 such as bleeding/flushing the F1 fluid and replacing the ATF fluid with genuine hydraulic fluid.

I have used it to monitor real-time data and compare to gauge readings. It's pretty cool.

I will answer any question you have.

Ray

3. Blacksport350

Blacksport350 Rookie

Aug 22, 2020
    Full Name:
    Carl Jerritts
    Thanks Ray!

Can you look under your updates menu and tell me what version your Ferrari software is and also Aston Martin? Also, did you buy the $800 2 year subscription to activate 2-way communications?

I was told by the Launch guys to get the Matco Max Flex that they make for them (it's also an X-431) and found Ferrari 10.90 and Aston 10.31. They should be at least 11 and 10.44 to be current and effective for 2-way and special functions.

4. tstuli

tstuli Formula Junior

Jun 12, 2018
    NC
    Not sure version 11.00 exists?

Latest for ferrari right now is 10.90
    Aston is 10.44

You can see all the release notes at qcar.x431.com

My x431 pros mini has both these versions

Sent from my SM-A515W using Tapatalk

5. Blacksport350

Blacksport350 Rookie

Aug 22, 2020
    Full Name:
    Carl Jerritts
    Thanks for looking. I’m assuming you check the version in the unit and not just the release notes as mine was bought Friday and is different? Is your Pro S Mini unlocked so you can access the special functions and where did you buy it if so?

it seems that the cheaper Pro S Mini might actually have full versions of the software that some of us US version X-431 buyers get short changed on.

6. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith

Do you work for the Chinese clone makers?

My X-431 Torque (from Launch Tech USA in Ontario, California) has Ferrari version 10.90 and Aston Martin version 10.44 (in the "update" section). There is no $800 fee for two way communication. It is built-in.

And Matco is an authorized distributor for Launch Tech USA. Check their web site. They came to my house to demo the new Throttle but it does no more for Ferrari than the Torque does. But the demo on my F430 convinced me to buy the X-431. I had no problems registering the product and downloading upgrades, unlike the people who bought the Chinese clones on Amazon for $800.

Ray

7. tstuli

tstuli Formula Junior

Jun 12, 2018
    NC
    #7 tstuli, Aug 25, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
    Yeah its the actual versions on the device

I didn't unlock anything. It came with a registration card I had to enter when I activated it. It comes with 2 years updates.

All the special functions are there for ferrari. I have no way of confirming what's there for aston.

I bought it from Amazon from launch. Paid about $550- there was a flash sale. This model isn't sold by launch USA as far as I know.

The registration seems to be tied to the dongle itself and not the tablet. EG I was able to download the x431 app from their website and install it on my phone and use it there instead. It shows the date that the dongle was activated originally still, etc.

Sent from my SM-A515W using Tapatalk

8. Blacksport350

Blacksport350 Rookie

Aug 22, 2020
    Full Name:
    Carl Jerritts
    LOL, no I do not work for clone makers and my name is very easy to Google and one that many on here know.

My story goes like this...I called Launch USA 2 weeks ago to verify WHICH US versions of the X-431 would have the correct software. I was passed off to two top level tech guys at Launch USA. I was told that some of their units could have gateway issues when connecting to cars so to be sure and get a demo first. The recommended I buy a Matco Flex instead of the Torque or Turbo. Their reason was that the required subscription for special functions would be cheaper. As an example, it is $20 to activate the Matco Flex for Ferrari for any 30 day period. After the subscription expires, it is simply a code reader. Again, they told me on the Launch branded units from Launch USA that I would need a 2-year subscription to unlock these same functions so the Matco would be the better choice for advanced occasional use. I had my Matco guy come by for a demo, he had the Max 3.0. It worked perfectly for special features on my Aston Martin. I called Launch back as instructed after the demo and they said "buy the Matco Flex, it will 100% work and be perfect for your needs). So I bought it from my Matco guy and activated it. It worked as a scan tool until I added my card number for the $20 30-day Ferrari and Aston subscriptions and then it worked for 2-way communication BUT HAD OLD ASTON SOFTWARE (10.31) and NO SPECIAL FUNCTIONS (likely due to the age of the software version). I called Launch USA back yesterday AM and got another high level tech (not the same ones as last week) and he said I was screwed and was not very nice. He suggested I needed a full subscription ($800-1,600) for the Matco which I verified through a friend is not correct as his full subscription Matco Flex also only had old version support. After giving him that info, the tech back pedaled and said to be the $4,500 Matco Max 3.0 and that the Launch Torque would probably not work. That was the end of the conversation. All 3 of their techs stood firm on the point that the Launch version need a subscription but maybe they don't know their own products which is becoming apparent.

I now have a $1,300 Matco that I can't return and won't do what I need. So it's back to the drawing board and to buy another X-431. I just want to be sure I'm not buying another paperweight.

So you have the $1,500 Torque with no annual subscriptions, have Aston 10.44, and can engage special transmission functions when connected to your Ferrari? If so, may I ask were you bought it from as maybe that's who I need to be calling.

Again, thanks for the help! I'm just a mechanically advanced enthusiast who wants to be able to plug into everything in my garage from a V12 Aston to a V12 Ferrari.

9. Blacksport350

Blacksport350 Rookie

Aug 22, 2020
    Full Name:
    Carl Jerritts
    Thank you very much for the info. That is very helpful.

10. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    You do realize that with the Real McCoy it automatically notifies you when a software or firmware upgrade is available, right? As a matter of fact, when I turned mine on to check software versions for you it notified me there were 15 updates available which I downloaded and installed. It's reassuring to know that if I get the latest model Rolls Royce I can calibrate the toilet paper dispenser so it can provide the next sheet in under 60ms..

Here is where I purchased my X-431 Torque:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CTZK684/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They shipped it fast and within an hour of receiving it I was checking my PIS and clutch driven disk used. The tech support is US-based and very responsive.

I had just finished installing StefVan's advanced DRL system with smart controller and in verifying the special functions I executed the F1 re-learn cycle. It was very entertaining to watch the system go through the gears.

You can read the horror stories of people who bought the Chinese clones and were unable to register and download necessary software/firmware upgrades.

As to being well known, you have 13 messages.

I'm kind of supervised that someone who managed to acquire a V-12 Aston and a V-12 Ferrari did not perform the due diligence necessary to acquire the appropriate scan tool.

Ray

11. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

ask. although I don't currently have one, I've used it extensively. and I am a chinese speaker.

Blacksport350 likes this.
  12. Blacksport350

Blacksport350 Rookie

Aug 22, 2020
    Full Name:
    Carl Jerritts
    Ray,

I very much appreciate your help with this and agreed regarding avoiding the out of market units.

You have taken some shots at me. Apparently you did not read the essay I wrote for you above. I did more due diligence than most would ever do including speaking to the two sell proclaimed head guys at Launch USA (Alex and Jeff). I they were the ones who told my to buy the Matco MaxFlex over the Torque or Throttle claiming better INTERFACE support for what I needed. They also told me to get a demo of a Matco Max 3.0 which I did. Worked great and had the latest software. I talked to them again and based on my feedback, they were "100%" that the Flex was the unit I should have so I bought it and found out they short change you on the versions for some reason. They did not know their own product line well enough. I will note that my Matco tool guy also investigated independently before I bought and was given the same misinformation. Again, the Launch USA guys are apparently not infallibly knowledgeable on their product.

You may have also missed the post I put in the 430 section on the same topic where I introduced myself as a lurker who just signed up. I am a newbie and just joined 3 days back to specifically get this info and it paid off. I am not a forum guy and rarely have reason to be.

I still invite you to Google my name to make sure "I don't work for the clone makers". When you see my business, you might instantly figure out that many of my customers (and friends) might own very substantial car collections, are here, and know me. One of them was kind enough to post in the Rocky Mountain section about X-431 for me.

Again, I'm not here to pick a fight as you have been helpful.

Thanks again, I will order the Launch you have and cross my fingers.

13. Blacksport350

Blacksport350 Rookie

Aug 22, 2020
    Full Name:
    Carl Jerritts
    Thanks for the offer. It looks like I'm taken care of with the other two posters above.

14. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    I'm not here to sword fight either.

As far as "taking shots at you", I was responding to your comment that US buyers of a US product were getting "short changed". After doing my due diligence I discovered that the Chinese had basically cloned the Launch Tech USA IP and had grossly substandard support and their servers get easily overwhelmed by customers trying to register their device and attempting to download updates. If you read the user comments for the $800 versions of the Torque on Amazon you'll confirm that those buyers got ripped off. A review of the Torque on Youtube specifically warns against the Chinese clones because the sellers are disreputable and unable to deliver what they advertise. That is how they can sell a $1,600 product for $800. And still make a $600 profit. They do no R&D, just pay spies to steal the IP.

I don't understand the claims by Matco. The list of authorized distributors can be found here:

https://www.launchtechusa.com/distributors

I bought mine, via Amazon, from American-Mechanic here in California. If you like, I'll post photos of the case and entire package including the plethora of adapters included for vehicles which do not use a standard OBD-II diagnostic port. It uses WiFi so you can go to Ferrari Chat, communicate with a technician, or check the weather. The range of the Bluetooth is impressive: I can sit in my kitchen and diagnose the car in the garage.

I had MAC tools come to my house to demo the Throttle (which is about $1,000 more than the Torque, but offers no advantages for Ferrari owners). I did not listen to their sales pitch, I said "show me how to check my PIS and clutch remaining". They did and that sold me after looking at the menu for my car and determining it will bleed/flush the F1system as well as perform the F1 self-learn cycle.

I think you have a strong case for misrepresentation on the part of Matco and are entitled to a refund/return of their under performing product. You could then buy the genuine Torque, or the Throttle.

I have no fiduciary relationship with Launch Tech USA. And if it didn't do what they claimed it was supposed to I would have driven the 25 miles to Ontario and shoved it up somebody's tuchus.

Ray

15. Blacksport350

Blacksport350 Rookie

Aug 22, 2020
    Full Name:
    Carl Jerritts
    Sorry for the slow reply but I wanted to see where things were going before I updated.

Ray...Please check your Ferrari version and let me know if you see an update and what version it is. With luck, you will see an update.

The Matco distributors in Denver ran it up the flagpole at Matco who got on the Launch Tech USA guys who ultimately went to their parent company in China and got them on it. They should have unification of software release versions on ALL US based 431 tablets and even between US, Europe, and Asia. Having to guess which has what is impractical as they didn't even have a good handle on that.

The result? As of this morning, my MaxFlex had Aston Martin 10.44 available for a download and Ferrari 10.95. So in theory, the problem is solved.

BUT, I'm sure I saw a Ferrari 11.00 on the Matco Maximus 3.0 so a 10.95 release is not all the way but includes some bug fixes.

16. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    The Ferrari software is now 10.95.

17. Blacksport350

Blacksport350 Rookie

Aug 22, 2020
    Full Name:
    Carl Jerritts

18. Sj_engr

Sj_engr Formula 3

Sep 15, 2020
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    dc
    I just unboxed mine and tried it out. It was nice to run the F1 self learn procedure and then find the clutch spent is only ~10%

Besides the F1 bleed & fluid swap functions, anything else jump out as things I should eventually try?

BTW I did hook up the Ctek to keep the voltage stable but should I have warmed up the F1 prior to running self-learn? Or best cold?

19. Blacksport350

Blacksport350 Rookie

Aug 22, 2020
    Full Name:
    Carl Jerritts
    You should have a ton of diagnostic data streams that you can select and see in real time for lots of the different modules as you are sitting or driving the car. Good for diagnostics or just if you are curious.

For me, it's a an F1 actuator and clutch bleeding tool.

When I've done the self learn, it has been at normal operating temperature as it makes sense but I'm not sure what the official guideline is for that.

20. carguy007

carguy007 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2013
  21. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    That works for what you want to do on the 430.

22. Flyingbrick242

Flyingbrick242 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2017
    Northern AZ.
    I've been using the launch x431 for some time now...works well on my 430 unfortunately the subscription has expired they are asking $599.00 for renewal. [ouch]
    Question: Has anyone renewed their SW subscripion...? If yes how much did it cost.?
    Really only interested in the F cars.
    Current version-10.85 what is the current SW version and what are the improvements.?
    Their are many of us using this diag tool...is Launch working with us.?
    Thanks in Advance.

23. carguy007

carguy007 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2013

So now the subscription is up can you use the tool with out any updates on the 430 or is it rendered useless?

24. Flyingbrick242

Flyingbrick242 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2017
    Northern AZ.
    Your question applies to any product that has sw upgrade ability...PC/smart phone/current production vehicles..Without the upgrade it continues to function just has it did before minus the latest features.
    Not all SW upgrades are beneficial sometimes there are hidden bugs that were not forseen..that is why you have the option to back date to previous version.
    Hope this clarifies your concern.

25. nessus-gte

nessus-gte Karting

Aug 31, 2014
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Charles
    Kaspar, the cheapest 1 year renewal I have been able to find is a $380 renewal card from KingBolen. I think we both bought ours from them. I haven't needed any new features, so I haven't renewed yet. If you find a better option, I hope you'll let me know. :)

Flyingbrick242 likes this.