"The Lamborghini Miura" by Simon Kidston | Page 7 | FerrariChat

"The Lamborghini Miura" by Simon Kidston

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by Ronald A. Berke, Oct 19, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    I have yet to see so much brouhaha about a book, and I mean it, why in a such a litigative
    manner, with ..."lawyers, guns and money"...as old Warren Z. would say. Of course, no guns here :)

Personally, I would take the private issues and keep them out of this post,
    and not turn it into a shouting match, which I shall presume, does not concern me, or most people on this thread.

Being part of the "unwashed masses", albeit most careful about my grooming, also bought the Miura book, and the register version to boot!
    Expensive, but within my reach, so no complaints here about it being out reach of the "unwashed masses".

Really, f-chat is all about waiting for the $1400 in the mail by now? Really?

Personally, I do not like the idea of an e-version of it, as I like paper.
    Of course if you do, than request it, as by Messrs. Sonnery suggestion that his happiness is reliant on this.

Regards, Alberto

Boomhauer, 375+, joejackson and 2 others like this.
  2. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Agree 100% Alberto.

As I've previously mentioned, personal disagreements between individuals associated with the book should not allowed to enter into this forum.

It is a private matter with the parties directly involved that no one else is interested in or should be asked to get involved with.

3. simpen

simpen Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2016
    With all due respect, but it seems highly contradictive to claim that there was no opportunity to buy it and also mock the huge wait anticipating the book at the same time.

I am part of the unwashed masses, not even close to owning a Miura or any other expensive book, but proud owner of one of the limited copies. I knew the book was coming, as many with an interest in Miuras knew for over a decade. It was also known way in advance to be extremely limited. And I still had time to have doubts about the price, did not buy it immediately but went back to the webshop a few days later after having justified this (for me) big expense. But I'll gladly make the switch from plebeian to speculator if someone wants to buy my copy for $25,000 (don't mind the grubby fingers!).

Boomhauer and Zeltweg like this.
  4. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Of course a paper book is better than an E book but as Rosey pointed out months ago an E book is better than nothing and does not devalue the paper books.

An E book is also practical allowing to have it on the computer when traveling.

To those who complain about my posts sorry but when you put your heart and soul into a job on a topic about which you are passionate, when you work absolutely flat out, use all your skills to produce the best research results, to see it botched like that (I could tell a lot of stories but apparently that is not popular) is very painful as were the endless delays, just understand that. One other thing: unwashed masses is not my expression but someone else's haughty attitude towards most people...

Just to be clear I never expected to have to order a book because it is standard practice for a co author to receive at least a copy. Of course I walked out of the project with a settlement after four years of waiting but still common courtesy would have been to send me one...I was prepared to pay for one but was just suddenly and coldly told that they sold out; the truth is SK must regret badly the mistake of limiting production.

Now the answer, thank you Steve, that there won't be an E book, typically predictable, closes the circle. I will take up the offer of the book owner who offered to have his scanned for me....just like Kidston scanned Miura SV owners manuals.

ChoroQ and gt4me like this.
  5. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    Is the Simon Kidston book on the Miura really sold out? He claims all 762 have been sold. I wanted to do a book review. If any Miura owner who lives in Los Angeles will consent to an interview about the book. Icould still review it from an owner's standpoint. Here's from the Kidston site.

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    1. Image Unavailable, Please Login
    2. Image Unavailable, Please Login
    3. Image Unavailable, Please Login
    4. Image Unavailable, Please Login
    5. Image Unavailable, Please Login
    6. Image Unavailable, Please Login
    7. Image Unavailable, Please Login
    8. Image Unavailable, Please Login
    9. Image Unavailable, Please Login
    The Lamborghini Miura Book

SOLD OUT

The Lamborghini Miura Book runs to 456 pages with over 650 high-quality photographs and is presented in a slipcase, beautifully lined and encased in museum-quality buckram.

All books are packed in a bespoke cardboard box and individually despatched by DHL courier (shipping rates vary by region).

By purchasing The Lamborghini Miura Book, you will be entitled to a unique and numbered copy of the Book.

Note: The Miura Book is now SOLD OUT. The Miura Register remains available.

Description
    The Lamborghini Miura Book – a limited edition of 762 copies

• Limited edition of 762 copies
    • Many previously unseen photographs
    • The result of nearly two decades of research
    • Interviews with all the men behind the Miura
    • Nine appendices
    In 1962 Ferruccio Lamborghini was a successful businessman best known for making tractors. Few had heard of him outside his native Italy. Four years later he was a motor manufacturer and an international celebrity. He had created the world’s most dramatic motor car – the legendary Miura, still a dream car over half a century later.

This is the history of one of the most extraordinary cars of our time, told by the people who designed it, who built it, who lived it. The fruit of more than ten years of work, and based on countless in-depth interviews, The Lamborghini Miura Book unravels the myths and tells the true story for the first time.

From the conception of the car to its demise, every aspect of the Miura’s life is studied, including the one-offs such as the track-bred Jota and the open-top roadster. There’s also a detailed look at the colourful world of Miura owners, and at the Miura’s many roles on the silver screen, plus a fascinating appraisal of the car by leading designers Peter Stevens and Gordon Murray.

Painstakingly researched and elegantly written by Simon Kidston and award-winning motoring historian Jon Pressnell, designed by renowned graphic artist Julian Balme, and supervised by Emanuele Collo and Steve Wakefield, this is the definitive book on the definitive supercar. Lavishly illustrated and printed on the finest paper, it is as much a joy to look at as to read.

Supported by the unparalleled experience and knowledge of Miura experts at Kidston, The Lamborghini Miura Book is the manuscript every motoring enthusiast should have at their fingertips.

Contents include:

• Ferruccio Lamborghini – by those who knew him
    • The men behind the Miura
    • The design story – who styled the Miura?
    • Ubaldo Sgarzi – the man who never said ‘no’
    • How the Miura was built
    • Racing the Miura
    • The Jota – and how it met its end
    • The mystery of the 500th Miura
    • The ‘super-Miura’ SVJs
    • Miura owners – from Rod to royalty
    • A triple World Champion drives the Miura
    • Nine expansive appendices that comprise: the Miura in film (including The Italian Job); Miura toys and models; evolution in production, changes in specification; colours; contemporary road tests; the influence of the Miura; the Miura in the US; performance data and period comparisons; a guide to owning and running a Miura
    Additional information
    Dimensions
    320 x 275 x 125mm

Weight
    5.5 kg

Format
    Hardback

ISBN
    978-1-5272-6117-4

Pages

Language
    English

Publisher
    Kidston Limited

6. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Yes, they all sold out in record time.

Maybe post your question under the "Miura Book" thread under this topic.

And leave off the photos- we all know what it looks like and its contents.

Boomhauer likes this.
  7. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Oh, you moved it, good one.

Good luck with the review.

8. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Hey Steve,

Any word on whether the Register has gone into print yet ?

stevewak and swift53 like this.
  9. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Requested the Jota book. When will it be available?

Regards, Alberto

NürScud and stevewak like this.
  10. stevewak

stevewak Karting

Jul 31, 2006
    UK
    It's in the process of sign-off and being sent to the proofers. Everything basically done, just booking print capacity and ordering paper...

Rosey likes this.
  11. stevewak

stevewak Karting

Jul 31, 2006
    UK
    Hi Alberto, progressing well with this but this time we will probably launch it once the complete package of presentation box, special binding and all the extra features are ready to be photographed and itemised. Everything done in the UK, I hope 4-6 weeks before we do the big reveal... Some new content so extra printing and binding involved. Covid caused some issues last time with supplies of materials, I hope not again.

swift53 likes this.
  12. Halfwit

Halfwit Rookie

Mar 17, 2019
    UK
    Full Name:
    Charlie Lodge
    Two UK book suppliers flogging the book for 4,800 quid,just mind boggling.No way would I pay that much for a book however good it is.

13. bloomberg

bloomberg Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2011
    Some people pay USD 60,000.- for a bitcoin.

Rosey likes this.
  14. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Halfwit, Clearly, you are not in the market, nor a thick enough wallet.
    Face it, some people can buy F-40's some cannot.
    I would like to have my own private jet, but cannot.
    It's a tough world, I know.

Regards Alberto

Boomhauer, Lusso123 and stevewak like this.
  15. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    PS. If you would like a discount you can have it in $...

16. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    #166 Rosey, May 10, 2021
    Last edited: May 10, 2021
    To be honest if you had a Miura and wanted to know everything about it, it's actually a small price to pay (compared to the actual asset) to enhance the ownership experience.

...as well as a nice-to-have with your owners manual, tool kit and sales brochure (which are all equally overpriced !! ) :) :)

Boomhauer, Halfwit, swift53 and 3 others like this.
  17. Halfwit

Halfwit Rookie

Mar 17, 2019
    UK
    Full Name:
    Charlie Lodge
    #167 Halfwit, May 10, 2021
    Last edited: May 10, 2021
    They were going for 400 quid.Just spent that on a Palawan book at 400 quid my kind of price and good quality too and I am happy

swift53 likes this.
  18. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Well Ferrari 250 GTO's were going for $12,000 too once, I don't quite see your point.

It's the old adage of supply and demand.

Lusso123 and Zeltweg like this.
  19. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    And here, we suppose that supply is in a far shorter amount than demand. The market has spoken quite loud and clear.

Regards, Alberto

20. ChoroQ

ChoroQ Karting

Jan 20, 2014
    Europe
    Full Name:
    A.C.
    It's not the right comparison.
    I can buy that book at that price, but I don't want it for that price.
    To me, it's about the value you give to something, not the market value (often influenced by hype at first)
    Is the Miura book a wonderful and complete one? Yes
    Does it worth the over pumped price? 2 letters, first is N and second is O.
    Just my 2 cents.

21. bloomberg

bloomberg Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2011
    Price is what you pay, and value (or the lack of it) is what you get.

Boomhauer, swift53 and Lusso123 like this.
  22. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Mr. A.C.,

cogito ergo sum.
    Then, you have the perfect answer, don't buy it even if you can, then you will be really happy.

If I had a Miura, I would buy it no matter what.
    You could have bought it at another price, if you had been on the ball, so to speak.

Life is all about options and choices, one 70+ mill. GTO or, 700 Pontiac GTO.
    Life is so easy...

Kind regards, Alberto

Boomhauer, simpen, stevewak and 2 others like this.
  23. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Any chance we will we see the Register by the end of June ?

stevewak likes this.
  24. stevewak

stevewak Karting

Jul 31, 2006
    UK
    In a word, yes! It's at the printers who are just fine-tuning it, but this has meant we have managed to squeeze in some amazing photos we only received this week. Assuming travel plans do not get disrupted again we hope to have some at Pebble. There will be a news update on this soon, with pictures of a prototype Register as well as the finished Jota edition which is being hand bound now.

Boomhauer, Zeltweg, bloomberg and 3 others like this.
  25. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Thanks for the update buddy.

stevewak likes this.