Ferrari 488 Exhaust Option Sound | FerrariChat

Ferrari 488 Exhaust Option Sound

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Drew Altemara, Apr 5, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Drew Altemara

Drew Altemara Formula 3

Feb 11, 2002
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Full Name:
    Drew Altemara
    Hi folks,

Thinking about purchasing a 488 coupe of spider. Been reading a lot of the 458 vs. 488 posts - interesting. Think I like the 488 a little better but have never driven a 488; have driven a 458 and liked it. I need something newer to do events in as most of my stuff is pretty old.

I know this is going to be a subjective per owner taste, but could some comment about the 488 exhaust option sound wise. Specifically the difference between the sport vs. titanium sound and even stock for that matter.

Thanks,

Drew Altemara

2. Petrolhead#32

Petrolhead#32 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2020
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Petrolhead#32
    It’s all subjective, but I have a friend who added a Capristo exhaust and it sounds pretty awesome compared to stock. All around better and higher tone, plus it comes with the option to close the valves with remote control.

3. Redsled10

Redsled10 Rookie

Dec 9, 2019
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Rick Pauling
    I agree with Petrolhead about being subjective. My 488 has an Akropvic exhaust and high flow intake tubes from Fabspeed. That combo seems to produce/maintain distictively crisp Italian high rev notes without an irritating amount of "off throttle" cackle as you ease off. It does not sound like the 458's I have been around. I get why 458 owners love their exhaust sounds. I bought the 488 for the additional technology and speed. Six of the seven cars I own are turbo'd or supercharged. Worth every penny to me, but definitely not for everyone. Overall, I'd give Ferrari decent grades for sound quality on the 488. That being said, there are several ways to alter that factory sound with aftermarket pieces to suit your tastes.

Petrolhead#32 likes this.
  4. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Drew it sounds like you are maybe talking about the Ferrari exhaust option on the 488 of Sport or Titanium....if so....that’s only exhaust tip purely cosmetic.

If this isn’t what you’re talking about.... I’ll go crawl under my rock...lol

5. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

This ^^^^^. Drew , the easiest way for better exhaust sound without any pipe changes is to have the dealer permanently open the valves. They did it for me at no charge. Best , Kirk.

6. Drew Altemara

Drew Altemara Formula 3

Feb 11, 2002
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Full Name:
    Drew Altemara
    Thanks Mike. That is exactly the question I was asking. I thought the exhaust option was for the full package not just for the tips. Thank you for clarifying that. Sorry if I did not as the question correctly.

Drew

mdrums likes this.
  7. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Yeah, the Titanium option from Ferrari is just the tips not the full exhaust.

The stock 488 exhaust note sucks. Most of the time it sounds like a riding mower.

Unless you totally remove the cats and run a straight pipe, I think not much can help the 488 exhaust note. The 458 is a better car and current resale prices reflect that.

Ray

8. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    458 is a better car? Did Drew ask about the 458? Why is the 458 better?...oh yeah is revs high and sounds cool so its a better car... really? LOL

SVR likes this.
  9. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Yeah, it's better.

Ray

10. superfluous

superfluous Karting

Oct 4, 2020
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Gabe
    Previous owner installed Novitec inconel exhaust and replaced factory cats with catless downpipes. It was pretty crazy, but couldn't pass inspection. I put factory cats back on and it lowered the volume a bit but still loud and a high pitch scream at high RPMs. Tons of 458 owners talk about how bad the 488 sounds, but can't imagine having that same complaints after the Novitec system.

Here's a quick sample: https://streamable.com/y5bt7i

That was prior to replacing the cats, so now it's the same pitch, just a bit quieter.

SVR and Lagunae92 like this.
  11. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    Sounds very solid with hat setup.

12. Petrolhead#32

Petrolhead#32 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2020
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Petrolhead#32
    Hey, don’t you worry about comparing it to the 458. This car sounds AWESOME! And it’s way faster than 458 with lots more torque.

BTW, I’m a big NA 458 fan and don’t plan to sell it. But listening to this makes me keep an open mind...

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Lagunae92 likes this.
  13. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    Previous 458 owner, current 812 and pista. I hope to make my Pista sounds that good.

14. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    So this video is with stock cats?

15. superfluous

superfluous Karting

Oct 4, 2020
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Gabe
    No, but I imagine it would sound similar because it mostly just changed volume, which doesn't really show up in video. If I remember, I'll record a new one with stock cats now.

16. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    I'd honestly be VERY CAREFUL messing with stock cats and definitely not do zero cats due to the turbo's in the 488. They are not designed for that and to do a straight type exhaust you should do different Turbo's designed for that.

The 488, especially the Pista sounds really good with stock cats and just a straight through cat-back exhaust piping. Fabspeed, Novitec and others have nice solutions for this. Plus you will retain the powertrain warranty.

All I did on my 488 with just remove the 2 vacuum lines from the exhaust flaps and the car sound so much better...you can do this at home easy with in 1 hr......but above 3000rpm this flaps open up for straight through exhaust anyway.