Convertible boot will not fit? | FerrariChat

Convertible boot will not fit?

Discussion in '348/355' started by Carmellini, Apr 5, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Carmellini

Carmellini Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2019
    My convertible boot is in excellent shape, but it has been stored for a few years and has shrunk. Only able to catch a few snaps. I laid it out for a few hours in the sun today, but that did not seem to help.

Any idea? Is it possible that a boot can shrink beyond help? (hope not)

2. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    Heat alone won’t help, it’s the heat that shrinks it in the first place. You need to try to soften it, by moisturizing it. Coating it with oil like Leatherique Rejuvenator Oil will help to soften it up. Might need a few applications.

3. PhilB

PhilB Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2004
    NYC, USA
    Full Name:
    Phil
    Start installing the cover with the rear inner snaps first. Once these are in place it's a bit easier to tug the cover to get the rest of the snaps to line up.

I'm referring to the snaps that are on the inside curve facing the engine cover, there's one on each side in each curve.

I can take some photos tomorrow if you need.

4. Carmellini

Jul 16, 2019
    Just finished a few days treatment with Leatherique. Looks and feels great, Hopefully this will make a difference.

Thanks. Will give that a try.

5. Carmellini

Jul 16, 2019
    The treatment helped: I was able to get all but 3 of the snaps connected and to drive with the boot on. That's 3 more than my last try.

Still cannot get the 2 that PhilB suggested I attach first, the ones just in front of the engine lid. I tried that method, with no luck.
    The third snap I could not connect is this one, at the center console. You can see its almost 2" off. Not sure how to stretch it that far?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Now that I was able to get it attached and of use, should I leave on for a day? 2? a week? LOL. Maybe if I leave it on for a time,
    I'll be able to stretch it easier?

Finally, has anyone heard of a boot shrinking beyond use? Happy to get it to this position, but sure would like to get those last three snaps attached.

6. Julia

Julia F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 22, 2014
    Houston
    Mine was pretty shrunken, but I conditioned it a few times and then put in on when the weather was warm a few days ago. It took both my husband and I working as a team to get the last snap attached (one of the ones facing the engine lid) but now that it's on, we'll probably leave it for the summer unless it's really important to put the top up.

Interesting side note: My car doesn't have a snap where yours has one, in the picture you posted. It has two snaps, one to either side of that center console, instead.