2010 California with transmission problems | FerrariChat

2010 California with transmission problems

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Michael Thesman, Apr 24, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Michael Thesman

Apr 24, 2014
    I have a 2010 California having problems with the transmission. Is this a common issue with the California? Any idea of what it will cost to replace the transmission? I live in Los Angeles, does anyone have a Ferrari authorized service they can recommend?

2. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    What kind of problem with the transmission?

SV

3. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Only "ferrari authorized" would be the two dealers in LA and OC (I think AG is no longer or soon to be no longer a ferrari dealer). As for recommended Indy shops, go to the Socal forum and you will find several recommendations.

Where have you had the car serviced? That might be a good place to start!

4. Michael Thesman

Apr 24, 2014
    While driving on the freeway the car loss all power the engine run fine put the car would not go when you pressed on the gas pedal. Then 30 min later the car worked fine. Now having issues where car is running fine then in stop and go traffic when you press on the gas it won't move then in a few second will start to move then will drive normally. Problem is off and on the Beverly Hill service department
    says its the gear box and cost of repair is $29k but they are going to start with trying to rewire the F1 senor cost is $2250

5. Michael Thesman

Apr 24, 2014
    $29k is the cost for installing a new gearbox. I was told you can get a factor rebuilt gearbox for $18 to $19k.

6. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Since the wording of your message implies your car is out of warranty I would press the dealer to get an accurate diagnosis before laying out money for a replacement gearbox.

The issue of having to replace the entire DCT gearbox has been raised many times. I asked my own dealer about it and my service manager says they are trained to rebuild the DCT in-house so they can replace parts instead of the entire unit. Like my dealer, FBH supports 458 race cars so they also know how to service the DCTs in-house.

I would not spend money replacing the DCT unless the exact problem is identified and determined to require a complete DCT replacement. At the end of the day, DCTs are transmissions containing both mechanical and electrical parts. In the beginning, the dealers weren't trained to service them probably because Getrag thought the DCTs would last the life of the car. Well, they were wrong so now dealers are getting trained to service them.

They are not black magic. Faulty parts can be replaced and re-installed. That's why the factory rebuilds them and send the rebuilt units back out as replacements. If it wasn't practical or economical to rebuild DCTs the factory won't be giving customers rebuilt units. If the dealer races 458s they have to rebuild their DCTs quite often and do it very well. 458s use the same DCT as the California.

7. Michael Thesman

Apr 24, 2014
    Thanks for your help I am dealing with Bill the service manager at Ferrari of Beverly Hills. My car is out of warranty and currently the are taking the DCT apart to rewire the F1 sensor cost is $2250. Bill told me this works to fix the problem half the time. He also said that the error codes came up that the problem is with the DCT. Thanks again for your in site.

8. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    FBH are true professionals. They are the best in the biz in the USA, and probably in the world.

Many times the problems with the DCT in the early stages come up when the box gets warm. But then it will usually get worse and the malfunction will happen even when cold.

It is generally not an issue with the gears or the clutch pack.

Hope the re-wiring does the job!

9. seateddime

seateddime Karting

Apr 9, 2008
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I had to return my Cali which was out of warranty. The DCT was grinding at low speeds and after being returned to Ferrari 2 times they could not fix it. Drove the car 5 times, 3 it was being flatbedded back away. You cant touch a 2010 Cali w/o a warranty. This is no man's everyday car.

I did not buy the car from Ferrari but another reputable and high end dealer so hopefully they will treat me right.

Just the fear of an issue was enough to scare me away from this car. Who need the headaches?

10. Balsamina

Balsamina Formula Junior

May 19, 2010
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    S
    Sorry to learn about your poor experience. What did Ferrari do to try to fix it? When you say "return" are you saying your independent dealer is buying the car back from you, or are you saying that Ferrari has acknowledged they can't fix the DCT and you are awaiting their (Ferrari's) response as to what they will do next?

11. seateddime

seateddime Karting

Apr 9, 2008
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I have done a ton of business with an authorized dealer for another manufacturer. I may be able to trade it if something cool comes in otherwise I think they will buy it back. I managed to put 200 miles on the car of which 70 was testing out the car before sending it back the 3rd time.

An oil leak followed by grinding transmission and no warranty is not a very comfortable car to drive daily. When I purchased it I was told the car just came back from service and was perfect. It seems best to cut this loose before more time passes.

12. Balsamina

Balsamina Formula Junior

May 19, 2010
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    S
    I think returning the car if you can is the wisest choice. There are plenty of other Calif available. No need to start with a troubled car. Sounds like you have a good relationship with the dealer, so maybe they could find another one for you. Good luck.

13. cyl911

cyl911 Rookie

Jun 19, 2019
    CA
    Full Name:
    Yilin Che
    所以 what's going on right now

14. benkc

benkc Rookie

Jul 3, 2005
    Tucson
    Full Name:
    Ronald A. Bernstein,
    just flatbedded my ‘13 California to dealer.
    “INTERNAL GEARBOX ISSUES SCAN FAULTS P0193A, P503, P2746, P792, U194S,
    AND U1994 RELATED TO GEARBOX SPEED
    SENSOR. NO drivability issues.”

They will not replace sensor and recommend $54 K new gearbox. HUH ?!

15. calder1

calder1 F1 Rookie
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 26, 2006
    Redondo Beach
    Full Name:
    Craig
    #15 calder1, Apr 7, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
    Surprised they wouldn't change the sensor. We are just finishing replacing the sensor in one.

tomc likes this.
  16. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Are they not authorized to replace the transmission?
    Used to be that your only recourse was replacement, but now I think they can be cracked open and the sensors replaced.

I would reach out to Steve Fordham, Service Director @ Boardwalk Ferrari here in DFW, he is @SAFE4NOW on F-chat. He can likely give you some god advice on your options...T

17. Pro Bono

Pro Bono Rookie

Aug 30, 2020
    This is the sort of nightmare story that puts so many people - including me - off taking the final plunge and buying a Ferrari. $54k must be approaching half the value of the damn car!

Please come back and let us know the outcome. There are so many threads like this that are just left dangling, with everyone wondering what happened.

18. Bill Phillips

Bill Phillips Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2019
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill
    There are definitely reliable shops that can repair these transmissions, Boardwalk Ferrari in Dallas being a good example.

19. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    That's why I tell people, imagine a pile of cash equal to the money you spend on your F-car going up in flames. Seriously. These cars can throw up some seriously huge bills. If that's outside your comfort level, then it's best to pass...T

alex likes this.
  20. artsd

artsd Formula Junior
    Owner

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    Art
    This x 100. I was looking at a 2010 Cali a few months ago. Reached out to a well known Ferrari technician I know and he was not a fan of pre-2013 Cali. I've heard of transmission problems even 2013+ so buyer beware. It would be a real shame to have a car worth $100k need a $30+k repair. If money is no object then I guess it doesn't matter. But if money really was no object, just buy a new one or one still under warranty with factory extendable warranty. Pay the annual $4500 warranty fee and don't worry.

21. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    We are considering the Power Warranty. The DCT and roof issues on the Cali can be tremendously expensive. However, if you're lucky, it's one sweet ride! Easy to drive and very flexible. A convertible when you want some fun and reliable transportation when you need it: a great touring car!

tomc likes this.
  22. artsd

artsd Formula Junior
    Owner

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    Art
    Agreed! I have an acquaintance who owns a 458, 488 Pista, and a Cali-T. He loves the Cali-T. I think he has over 50k miles on it.

23. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    This is my mechanics recommendation to me as well....but he said to stick to “T” or newer.