What ditools are those that work on your own cars using to set PIS, Bleed Actuator, Read Clutch etc. | FerrariChat

What ditools are those that work on your own cars using to set PIS, Bleed Actuator, Read Clutch etc.

Discussion in '360/430' started by carguy007, Apr 6, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. carguy007

carguy007 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2013
    Curious what everyone is using. I want to buy a diag tool and was thinking the Launch 431 but it's very confusing which one to get and in some cases sounds like you will be locked out of your tool beyond using as a basic code reader unless you pay annual subscriptions. I am fine with paying the $800 but do not want to be antying up every year.

I also was pointed in the direction of ThinkDiag below, which apparently uses the same Launch software. It is a cheaper entry price provided it even works with Ferrari as they state, but they apparently charge you for specifc services individually (around 40 bucks).

I do not imagine I will need the special functions often such as read clutch, actuator bleed etc but would like a tool that works and that others have used. Curious to hear the feedback around this:

https://www.amazon.com/Thinkdiag-Automotive-Bidirectional-Diagnostic-Suspension/dp/B085VDTL63

2. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    My understanding of the Launch X431 Mini Pros, which is the one that I have, is that after two years you can’t get additional updates, but it will still work. You can pay for additional updates after the initial two years is over. I’ve only had mine for 6 months, so I’ll worry about renewing when the time comes.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

jag-oo-r likes this.
  3. AandSC

AandSC Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 12, 2016
    Jax, FL
    Full Name:
    Allen
    ^^^^ This. I’ve got the X431 Mini Pro and have found it to do everything needed. Highly recommended.

4. carguy007

carguy007 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2013
    Do I need to constantly pay for updates or just pay the 800 and I am done?

5. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
  6. carguy007

carguy007 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2013
    They apparently charge and nickle and dime you for all kinds of stuff. When I read the negative reviews it seemed the truth came out. Let me do some more research and check out the link.

7. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    I paid $640 USD on Amazon.

When you get the device, you initialize it thru your WI-FI connection. After that, it tells you that there are upgrades available when you turn it on. You will continue to get those upgrades, for all the cars in the device, for two years. After those two years, you’ll have to pay for the upgrades. The device has everything in it that I would ever use on it right now, so I’m thinking I won’t need to pay for anything after the two years is up. We’ll see.

There’s F1 and Ediff bleeding, antilock brake valve bleeding, clutch wear check, clutch relearn, PIS setting, along with a few others I’m still learning about.

If you do any work on your car yourself, it’s invaluable. Keep in mind it will do all these things and more on probably every car you have. There’s key programming for several cars too.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

AandSC likes this.
  8. carguy007

carguy007 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2013

Did you get it a while ago - how did you get it for $640? I can not find it cheaper than $779.

9. carguy007

carguy007 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2013
    I agree and want to try it. I have inquired if it will work with Ferrari and have not heard anything back. I see Maserati listed, but not Ferrari. I also wanted clarification if I buy the top of the line package if I can use all functions or will be charged for what they call "special features".

10. AandSC

AandSC Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 12, 2016
    Jax, FL
    Full Name:
    Allen
    It appears the price has gone up, but there’s a seller on eBay offering two for $674 each. Maybe get another person that needs one and go in together? This is the seller I bought mine from. No issues.

11. jag-oo-r

jag-oo-r Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    I paid $749-ish for mine last year. I found it a few buck heaper on Ebay, but I feel safer with Amazon these days, so I paid the little extra.
    I think Flea uses the thinkdiag? You might want to ping him.

12. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    There is one on amazon for 119 minus 20 coupon all software for a year ( not sure what happens after that) and free returns

this is what is said

)The bluetooth obd2 scan tool provides 1-year warranty and 1 YEAR free online update are offered to you,all the Car Software and Reset Software in it are FREE for 1 year. ➤The scan tool with the benefits of portability: wireless operation, interactive graphing of live data etc.➤Full OBD II functions for full system scans ➤Palm-sized, portable and powerful. Attn: Pls wait 1 hour after you activate it, then it will show the software with no expense.

13. lkstaack

lkstaack Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2020
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Lars
    I purchased mine last month for $660. I had it saved in my Amazon wish list and have the "Honey" plugin loaded onto Chrome. Honey notified me that the X431 was on a 2-hour "lightning deal" for $117 off, so I took it.

14. carguy007

carguy007 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2013
    That's helpful thanks.

15. carguy007

carguy007 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2013
    well played

16. lkstaack

lkstaack Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2020
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Lars
    I've got the X431, but can't find out how to use it to check if emissions monitors are ready. Do you know how to do this?

17. carguy007

carguy007 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2013

Yeah I really want to try it but am not sure it will work for the Ferrari 430. I looked on their site and shows it is supported but oddly just 2005 and 2006 and my car is a 2007. Hopefully they get back to me soon.

I may just order on Amazon and be the guinea pig for us all:). I am sure I can return it if it does not work.

18. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    #19 flash32, Apr 7, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
    Exactly ..at 99 dollars it worth the shot and it is so easy to return .. I would do it if I was you for sure .. almost no way to lose and you will have it by Saturday

From my research on various forums ..the software is the same as mini but hardware is not. So there are some functions the hardware/firmware will not communicate with .. but I am thinking what you need it for it will work
    Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

19. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
  20. carguy007

carguy007 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2013
    Said F - it and ordered. We shall see will keep the community informed. All I want to do is bleed actuator and check clutch. I think I can do this too as you stated. Going to start taking the car apart tonight to gain access to actuator:)

flash32 likes this.
  21. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Looking forward to hearing your "review"

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

22. carguy007

carguy007 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2013
    I just got confirmation from the company luckily that it will work for our cars. We shall see. Should have it today.

23. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    If it works you can thank me ..if it doesn't I apologize in advance for your inconvenience :)

24. carguy007

carguy007 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2013
    Dominick the tool work great. There are some areas that I need to figure out like how to read clutch, but overall it is really cool. I have already done the self learn test.

I ran a full health check off the the car and it scanned all modules had some codes I was not even aware of.

Are you fairly familar with Launch x431 - Can you check cam timing or activate a cam timing variator solenoid with it?

I owe you a couple beers if you are ever in San Francisco please take me up on the offer:)

ditpixs likes this.