488 - 458 to F8 to 488 | FerrariChat

488 458 to F8 to 488

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by OSUferrari, Apr 8, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. OSUferrari

OSUferrari Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2015
    Denver CO
    Full Name:
    John
    Which Ferrari to buy?

I realize I may be the only person on the planet that has done this.........but I went from 458 to F8 to 488. My F8 delivered April 2020 and I sold it last fall and just purchased a 2017 – 488 GTS. This is my first spider and have to say, not sure I will ever buy a coupe again. Sound is important to me ........so that is one of the main reasons I sold my F8 (Great car in so many ways but sound will never be one of its assets). I know the 488 does not sound as good as 458, but since it is a spider (and I have the values pinned open), it has been surprising better than expected. Hard to imagine, but after a few weeks with this spider, I am liking it way more than my F8 (maybe F8 spider would have changed my mind – who knows). My car has the dash inserts painted to match the car, so when driving, the colors of the dash blend so well with the fenders and mirrors........just seems to mesh so well.

BTW – I still have my 458 (did not trade it when I purchased the F8) and have no plans to sell it – ever. But, if I could convert it to a spider tomorrow, I would :)

2. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Pics?

AD211 likes this.
  3. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Gorgeous color what is it?

4. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    interesting. What do you think of 812 GTS in lieu of 488 spider while keeping the 458?

5. OSUferrari

Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2015
    Denver CO
    Full Name:
    John
    Blue Corsa. Same as my F8. I get far more comments on it versus my 458 (RC)

6. OSUferrari

Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2015
    Denver CO
    Full Name:
    John
    I have thought about 812 (and F12) but for me, the appeal of mid engine is too strong. Some day I am sure I will own one or the other.

7. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    The interior pieces painted was it aftermarket or Ferrari ?

8. OSUferrari

Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2015
    Denver CO
    Full Name:
    John
    Ferrari. Have no idea how much they paid for that but sure it was a lot. It Is listed on the plate. Never seen it before.

MANDALAY and mdrums like this.
  9. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    I have not seen painted pieces like that either...I guess that is part of the Taylor Made program? Too cool though. Painted interior pieces on Porsches can be common and I had that on a few 911 (997-991) cars and loved it.

I got lucky and the window sticker for my 488 came with the car...I bought my 2019 used. Can a Ferrari dealer get a re-print of the window sticker? That would show the cost of the painted pieces for sure.

10. spyder625

spyder625 Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2017
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Mike
    great looking car for sure... love the BLUE

11. Hunter911

Hunter911 Karting

Mar 8, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    The painted interior package is a regular option ($7,290 in Canada) – I had it on my approved Nero Daytona F8 build for several months but right when my car entered production Ferrari changed their mind – they said I couldn’t have the carbon steering wheel + all other parts painted. They said I must have the steering wheel painted (not carbon) or else I had to do this through TM, obviously for a lot more money. I ended up just doing most of the interior in carbon, but I like the painted look (with some colors).

Great looking 488! I wonder if an exhaust would’ve solved your dissatisfaction with your F8?

12. OSUferrari

Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2015
    Denver CO
    Full Name:
    John
    I have the original sticker but it is buried in the "Other Options" line........which is over $51k (!)

mdrums likes this.
  13. OSUferrari

Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2015
    Denver CO
    Full Name:
    John
    Possibly but did not want to risk voiding the warranty on a $350k car. Just was not worth it to me. But in 3-4 years, may buy a used F8 Spider and redo exhaust (although Colorado just passed a new law that CATS cannot be modified at all or it won't pass emissions - still trying to get all the details). May be stuck with stock exhaust forever here...........more reason to keep the 458!

mdrums and Hunter911 like this.
  14. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Yep totally agree, I do not want to void the warranty either. Thats why I only unplugged the vacuum lines to the flaps on mine. Here in Florida it is wide open as to what you can do to a car though. I am happy with my 488. I do love the look of the F8 though but they sound horrible.