308 cam question for boost | FerrariChat

308 cam question for boost

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Alex N, Apr 1, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Alex N

Alex N Karting

Mar 29, 2021
    Full Name:
    Vincent Napoliello
    Lobe separation angle tends to be pretty narrow on Ferraris naturally aspirated combinations ,when going to boost how much do people open up lobe separation so that the boost doesn’t go out the exhaust during overlap.

2. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Research the 208 turbo. Those cam specs shoukd get you in the ball park. Are you intending to keep the CIS injection?

3. Alex N

Alex N Karting

Mar 29, 2021
    Full Name:
    Vincent Napoliello
    I don’t think so.

4. Jerad Millermon

Oct 3, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jerad M.
    I dont know on a Ferrari but theory should be the same. I have been racing 1/4mile for 30 years. For a Roots blower and strickly full out race we use cams with 114+ ls. but were trying to build as much boost as possible for a very short time. If you plan on running on the street or endurance then running 110-112 is going to be more street friendly. Your going to need some of that overlap to cool the exhaust. I built a 308 once 20 years ago and if memory serves me correctly Im going to say the 308 was right at 108 degrees LS.

Alex N likes this.
  5. Alex N

Alex N Karting

Mar 29, 2021
    Full Name:
    Vincent Napoliello
    I want to supercharge one but they are very inefficient under boost , they use way more fuel than they should and it is due to the tight lobe separation . It’s hard to find an advertised number but I bet you the LS could be 104 , they probably have an overlap profile similar to an NHRA pro stocker being a high revving naturally aspirated unit

6. Jerad Millermon

Oct 3, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jerad M.
    Either way your going to have to buy a degree wheel and dial indicator to measure lobe lift and find out what your motor is. Cams, belts, pulleys all have a tolerance. I bet you may see +/- 1 or 2 degree's between the same motors. A better question is going to be what is your piston to valve clearance going to look like when moving the cams to a 110-112 ls. Time to steal the kids playdoh and clay the pistons. If they even make playdoh anymore, hmmm wonder if there is a playdoh app for the phone, lol

7. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    What type of forced induction?

8. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    #8 Ferrari Tech, Apr 9, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
    I have cam specs for 308s, which 308 are you looking for?
    308 Euro specs have an LSA of 109 & with US specs it is 107.

9. Alex N

Alex N Karting

Mar 29, 2021
    Full Name:
    Vincent Napoliello
    P6 LSA?

10. Alex N

Alex N Karting

Mar 29, 2021
    Full Name:
    Vincent Napoliello
    They are P6 cams

11. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    Let me see what I can find.

12. Foxie

Foxie Karting

Oct 9, 2011
    Wexford, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Sean Murray
    I am fitting a new set of Catcam cams.

I thought the playdoh method a lot of work, so I made up a jig to measure piston-to-valve clearance.
    I cut a plate to fit across the cam bucket, and weld on a 8mm nut centrally and in line with the bucket bore.
    By turning the engine to any desired degree setting and winding it down until it contacts the bucket, and then measure how many turns are required to contact the piston, if at all, the clearance can be established. As the thread spacing is 1.25mm the total number of turns + 1/6 turns will give the figure required.

Attached Files:

13. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    P6 cam specs:
    Int. open, 48 close, 62. Centerline, 97. 9.25mm lift
    Ex. open, 64 close, 44. Centerline, 100. 9.25mm lift
    LSA, 98.5
    Overlap is 92

If I were doing a turbo 308 I would consult a cam company and have cams made for it. I use Dynomation 6 engine simulation and it helps quite a bit in "seeing" what the difference can be with a given change.
    On doing my 2.0 Type 4 for my Rail Buggy, I found the best header configuration was actually the step headers I had fabbed already out of what I had hanging around. Sometimes a blind squirrel finds a nut.

14. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams

So how do you find what position the cam is in at its closest point of piston? The critical time is at the end of the exhaust stroke/start of intake. That changes with cam timing adjustments.

Also, the playdoh method will let you see how well the valve fits the cut out in the piston. I have had to make more adjustments for that then I have for total lift impact.

15. Alex N

Alex N Karting

Mar 29, 2021
    Full Name:
    Vincent Napoliello
    Looks like the P6 cam is not very good for boosted applications that lobe separation is way too tight, I would even sacrifice a little bit of Lift to be able to achieve the separation angle and maybe increase duration on the exhaust side a little bit

16. windsock

windsock Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 29, 2006
  17. Foxie

Foxie Karting

Oct 9, 2011
    Wexford, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Sean Murray
    Catcams specify setting up their cams based on lift at TDC. So the crankshaft is set at TDC, and the clearances measured. As the exhaust will be more open approaching TDC, and the inlet will be more open after TDC, additional measurements at ,say 5 and 10 degs before and after TDC should give the clearance curve.

From scaling up Catcams valve lift curves, the clearances can also be calculated using piston /crankshaft degree position.

Alex N and Ferrari Tech like this.