Ferrari Opus vs. Ferrari in Camera | FerrariChat

Ferrari Opus vs. Ferrari in Camera

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by davew, Apr 3, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. davew

davew Karting
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 26, 2006
    South Boston, VA
    Full Name:
    Dave White
    Which book would be the best to add to a collection - Ferrari Opus or one of the last remaining issues of Ferrari in Camera? Each seems to be available for approx. L2000. Which book will be the more rare, relevant piece of Ferrari history in the Future?

2. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Ferrari in Camera is already a collectible classic, and I would think you can find a copy for less than GBP2,000. As for Ferrari Opus, I've never seen a copy, so I don't have a valid opinion. It will doubtless become collectible as well, but it doesn't have the Nye-Goddard collaboration going for it.

3. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    #3 jtremlett, Apr 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have seen the Ferrari Opus. It is nice and I would like a copy but I wouldn't pay £2000 and Ferrari in Camera is the better book and for less money. It is a shame that maybe 90% of the copies of Ferrari Opus won't ever be read, they'll just sit on a (reinforced) coffee table somewhere.

Jonathan
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. trashidelek!

trashidelek! Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2004
    One has to wonder what kind of market exists for new books priced in the thousands of dollars. It is one thing to pay such sums for rare early yearbooks, etc. But this is something entirely different. Sort of like the market for vintage Ferraris as opposed to that for new cars.

I would happily pay perhaps $500 for a less lavish, but still very nice, book such as this. But thousands for almost any brand new book? Please...

5. Dino2400

Dino2400 Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 21, 2009
    I have to agree with you. There is not one reason why you should buy this book for this kind of money. Ferrari in Camera however is in one word superb!

6. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    There is a thread on collecting this book in this site. You will get a lot there on this subject. 2,000 BP is considerably to high unless the book has some pretty impressive autographs. My suggestion would be to go after the In Camera book first. The Opera three volume set is much more available even thru Amazon and other dealers such as ABE Books and T E Warth. just obne man's opinion tongascrew

7. trashidelek!

trashidelek! Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2004
    This Ferrari Opus seems, at least to me, to be just slightly better that the Libro d'Oro della Ferrari, published in Italy years ago. It was a series of tiny Ferrari related pictures etched onto gold leaf and bound into a small book. There was even a dainty set of white gloves included with which to handle the book... Expensive? Absolutely, but also completely stupid. Perhaps I am a little harsh, but this book also seems to be aimed at the "prestige" at any cost, more money than brains set.

8. davew

davew Karting
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 26, 2006
    South Boston, VA
    Full Name:
    Dave White
    Thanks for the advice. The price of 2000GBP for the Ferrari in Camera book was taken from their website and is for the leatherbound edition.

Thanks again,

Dave

9. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
  10. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    I know this thread is 10 years old but 10 years on you'll still find Ferrari in Camera is still the more desirable of the two books.

Since then Taschen has thrown their hat in the ring with their Ferrari tomb which I don't actually own (or really lust after).

In terms of desirability I think it's the least collectable of the three.... yet the most expensive.

11. -CD-

-CD- F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2005
    near the Nürburgring
    Full Name:
    Christian
    And Ferrari in Camera is so easy to handle while the OPUS is pain in the ass and the Taschen is
    not much better... :D

Lusso123 and bloomberg like this.
  12. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Very true... unless you have the Opus app. :) :)