Purchase options on used F12 | FerrariChat

Purchase options on used F12

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by allDATisMAN04, Apr 3, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. allDATisMAN04

allDATisMAN04 Rookie

Apr 1, 2021
    Full Name:
    Jeff Ayres
    Hello everyone,

My name is Jeff and I have been a long time Ferrari fan and FerrariChat lurker. I have finally arrived to a point where I can get my dream car, the F12.

There are three cars I’m interested in and I would like to know some thought this community would have. They are all around the same price range, five or take a few thousand dollars. One is a 2017 with 8k miles but has been reported in an accident. It was reported as rear bumper damage from being hit while parked. It’s the spec I would love but I’m wary of having an accident/story car but the newer car makes me wonder.

The other two are nice specs, one is similar to the 2017 while the other is totally different. It’s grey with blue and yellow interior(sorry I don’t know the names). It has mods like exhaust and wheels on it which would be mods I would do.

Let me know what you guys think and thanks I’m advance for your help and any insights you have.

Car 1-2017 https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/822070045/overview?aff=share_other

Car 2 https://www.mikewardmaserati.com/inventory/used-2014-ferrari-f12-berlinetta-rwd-2d-coupe-zff74ufa9e0199553

Car 3 https://www.houseofcarsarizona.com/inventory/used-2014-ferrari-f12berlinetta-coupe-2d-rwd-coupe-zff74ufaxe0199853

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. BruceC

BruceC Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2018
    Tucson, AZ
    I'm also shopping for an F12 (don't worry, I won't scoop any of your picks). For what it's worth, #3 has been sitting at that lot for quite some time. It was the closest F12 to where I live at the time and I was thinking about having a look, but the body kit was a big turn-off for me the more I looked and I decided not to waste my time.

At a glance and without delving into the various options, I think #2 has a lot of visual appeal with the tastefully blacked-out wheels and other black accents and red calipers & interior. I also remember reading somewhere that white with red interior was a premium choice for spiders. Don't know if that carries over to Berlinettas, but I personally like the combo.

It appears that #1 is priced correctly for a car with a "story." If the specs line up better than your other picks, it might be a good choice if you plan to keep it and put miles on it, however, my personal belief is that resale will always be more challenging on a car that doesn't have a clean carfax.

I spotted an F12 in a rare color about a month ago that really lit up the board for me and finally got me off my keester to sell my 430 Spider (which is getting picked up tomorrow). Unfortunately, a Ferrari dealer spotted it, swooped in, and now has it priced $30k higher than the market correct price the previous dealer was asking. I'm still salivating over that particular F12, but don't think I can stomach a $30k premium so I'll probably keep looking. :(

3. allDATisMAN04

allDATisMAN04 Rookie

Apr 1, 2021
    Full Name:
    Jeff Ayres
    Thanks for replying Bruce, nice to meet you and good luck with finding your car. In regards to car #3 I’m in agreement. I don’t mind the body kit too much but is not the spec I am looking for but it’s in the same city I live so the convenience would be nice.
    In regards to car two, I just got a report back from the dealership it is at. I’m waiting on pictures of the reported damage but some sounds like normal wear and tear.
    Car #1 and it’s story are not really that big of a problem, as I’m not really planning on selling the car. It’s a dream car and I couldn’t see myself selling it once I had it but I do understand the resell aspect and how much more difficult it would be to sell or the amount I would be able to sell the car for. And besides, I have reached out to the dealer about the car but they have not replied.

Attached Files:

4. BruceC

BruceC Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2018
    Tucson, AZ
    Sounds like we're almost neighbors. Let us know how you make out. Maybe we'll have a chance to compare F12s in the not too distant future if all goes well.

5. Gullwing

Gullwing Karting

Aug 30, 2016
    Personally I’d never touch a Ferrari with a third party body kit. Ferraris are meant to be elegant not decorated with junk. Just my view.

ScottJon likes this.
  6. JimDowd1

JimDowd1 Rookie

Jan 23, 2021
    Pacific Palisades, CA
    Full Name:
    James Dowd
    That’s an enviable dilemma. I’d vote for #1, particularly if you plan to enjoy it instead of looking at it as an investment. If the spec is your idea of perfect, then the story-related discount is just a bonus. In the interest of transparency, I recently made a similar call on an F12 myself and am excited to take delivery this week.

7. BusterX

BusterX Karting

Aug 24, 2016
    An accident car and two ugly body kits? There have to be better options out there.

F12_vrooom and ScottJon like this.
  8. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    The first spec by far is the best.

350MH83 likes this.
  9. colonels

colonels Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2011
    Accident cars will always have a discount and a slower resale. However if you buy it with the discount in place you should OK.

Most important for me would be to research the repairs. Most sellers don't have this info but if you can find that it was repaired by factory authorized Ferrari bodyshop and you can verify what was damaged and not (like frame) then I don't see a problem.

There's a thread about an F12 that was hit in the rear in a hotel parking area. Damage looked very minor but the repair costs were close to 100k. No frame damage. He detailed every step of repair with pictures. I wouldn't have a problem with that car so long as I got a good discount. I'd guess 20% off fair market value.

10. F12_vrooom

F12_vrooom Rookie

Dec 8, 2020
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Brandt U
    Would this also be your first F-car or just first F12? If your first f-car, I would suggest a certified car. It will be more than these options but likely a lot more piece of mind...and one issue away from being same total cost as a certified. If not certified, at least a good inspection from trusted source. Of these 3 options, I’m not a fan of white cars nor of red interiors, but the body kit is my least favorite

I think it’s good advice to call the repair shop on car 1. If you get documentation and plan to keep it a while, that mitigates the risk with the right price.