Lug nuts | FerrariChat

Lug nuts

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Art H, Apr 10, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Art H

Art H Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 15, 2014
    does anybody have a lead on excellent or new condition lug nuts for the Indy style wheel for a70 Ghibli ? Thanks!

2. Froggie

Froggie Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2017
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Serge
    Studs and lug nuts on the Masers of that period are a tricky issue.

Depending on the model (Indy, Ghibli, Merak, Bora, Khamsin) and on the type of wheel (Borrani bi-metal or Campagnolo magnesium) you have different stud lengths and shapes.
    See on Maseratinet, e.g. for early Indy: http://www.maseratinet.com//p-11895-wheel-stud-threaded-stud.aspx

Wrt OEM brass lug nuts, I think (but not sure) that the conical angle of the lug nut is not the conventional 60° of today's wheels but something like 55°.
    So they cannot be replaced with cheap today's steel lug nuts.
    Correct repros are proposed by Maseratinet: http://www.maseratinet.com//p-11945-wheel-lug-nut-set-of-4.aspx

3. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Nuts? Studs?

Aren’t they clearly bolts?

Matt

4. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    Repeating this from an old memory that admittedly isn’t what it once was, that being said: look into period Porsche 930/911 variants. You should be able to find used ones cheap enough to see if its a fit.

5. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    I think he is looking for the chrome lug nuts that were used on most Indy, Ghibli, late Boras and all the Merak, QP3 and Kyalami. This is a different wheel but the lug nut should be the same.

Ivan

Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005
  7. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
  8. emsiegel13

emsiegel13 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2007
    Grayslake, Illinis
    Full Name:
    Elliot M. Siegel
    No disrespect, but titanium has a problem with galling and should be used properly to avoid problems with the material itself and to what it is being used with.

9. boralogist

Jun 21, 2005
    These lugs are generally made with Grade 5 Titanium which is one of the most popular alloys in the titanium industry and makes up almost half of the titanium used in the world. Commonly referred to as Ti-6AL-4V (or Ti 6-4), this designation refers to its chemical composition of almost 90% titanium, 6% aluminum, 4% vanadium, 0.25% (max) iron and 0.2% (max) oxygen. It has excellent strength, low modulus of elasticity, high corrosion resistance, good weldability and it is heat treatable. The addition of aluminum and vanadium increases the hardness of the material in the alloy matrix, improving its physical and mechanical properties.

There is a rule of thumb that a hardness difference of 50 Brinell is required for effective prevention of galling:
    Brinell hardness of low-carbon steel is approximately 120 MPa. Brinell hardness of high-carbon steel is approximately 200 MPa, while the Brinell hardness of Ti-6AL-4V is 334.

Thus galling in these applications would not be a concern.

Furthermore, titanium lug nuts are 29% stronger and nearly 50% lighter than steel which results in a decreased rotational wheel mass, quicker acceleration and handling benefits in high performance applications.
    Additionally the lower thermal expansion of titanium results in more consistent tension under heating.

10. Art H

Art H Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 15, 2014
    Thanks for everybody’s replies. The bolts I am looking for are exactly the one that Ivan is showing in his picture.In the meantime I will check those recommended websites thanks!

11. Art H

Art H Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 15, 2014
    Ivan do you think those titanium bolts will fit on a Ghibli as well as the bora? Thanks Art

12. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    If the threads fit the Bora they should also fit your Ghibli. Visit you local parts stores and see what they have on the shelf, that will get you through Amelia. I have used off the shelf chrome lug nuts on Ghiblis. I would then re-chrome an original set. You have spent a lot of time and money restoring that car to put the wrong lug nuts. Most people will not know the difference but you will.

Ivan

13. boralogist

Jun 21, 2005
  14. Art H

Art H Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 15, 2014
    I agree thanks Ivan will do, thanks Barologist!

15. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I remember shortly after I picked my Bora in 87 up an idiot tire monkey used an impact wrench on my late style lugnuts and ruined their prefect appearance because they're chrome plated brass! :mad:
    A few years later my best friend who also owner a Bora had a neighbor who was also a Maserati fan and owned a Bora then a Merak. After he sold them his son had a hankering for a Bora again and bought a white 75 with a blue interior. He didn't like the hubcaps so he converted to the later style wheels and used stainless steel Porsche lugnuts which like the ones in the link above were very close in appearance to the originals. I wonder if they're still available in SS?

16. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
  17. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    I always wonder why Maserati used brass instead of steel lug nuts. Isn't brass softer? I do know that it is very easy to strip the threads of a brass lug nut.

Ivan

18. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    A tradition they carried on till at least 1996. My GOC which has the super light Technomagnesio magnesium wheels came with bronze lug nuts for the 2nd year race series. I have no idea why.

19. Froggie

Froggie Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2017
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Serge
    Maybe because copper-based brass/bronze would not be as much subject to seizing on steel studs?
    Or would more easily creep at microscopic level for locally damaged or imperfect threads to adapt without seizing under torqueing?

20. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    None of the vendors I became acquainted with while using the car at the tracks could understand it. They all used steel.

The Maserati that existed at the time the GOC was being run had no current racing experience. They farmed the modification of the Ghibli IIs into track cars out to a subcontractor who did similar work on Alfas at the time. Which is why Cozza knew so little about these cars. But Ferrari was already involved with Maserati by then.
    So for the second year of that series a lot of Ferrari equipment from the 355 Challenge cars ended up on the GOCs via a kit/upgrade that was installed by the owners of the cars with hobbled gobbledy results. I'm not clear who did the design work for that? It was Adolfo Orsi's pet project at the time. Perhaps he knows who did the second year design changes. A season that was short lived. No money.

21. Art H

Art H Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 15, 2014
    I want to thank everybody for their advice. I think I solved the problem I found a very similar set of Lugnuts I want to thank everybody for their advice. I think I solved the problem I found a very similar set of Lugnuts As a temporary solution. I also found a Chromer that I’ve used before that will do me a favor and have them done within the next 1 to 2 weeks. You’re absolutely right Ivan, After all this time and money invested I have to get it perfect LOL! Art