Maserati Khamsin | Page 382 | FerrariChat

Maserati Khamsin

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Maeter, Feb 24, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005
    With a basically identical set of facts---having also just rebuilt the leaking clutch slave---we came to the same conclusion.
    As everything is working perfectly, my very trusted Citroen hydraulics guy has advised against exploratory rack surgery at this time!

2. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005
    If this gold-dust revelation doesn't get a single 'like' or + comment I respectfully resign from sharing the next 3 'ridiculous' discoveries of the week, as we tear 1218 apart to her constituent parts;).
    She will be ready for uninterrupted inter-continental travel next week!
    No disrespect intended.

Regards.

010, series1 and ralt72 like this.
  3. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Well done, your observations are not falling on deaf ears and are recorded here permanently, part of the resource this thread is with search engine use.

4. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    This Veglia temperature sending unit was used by several cars. I recently purchased a couple of replacement units from Mr Fiat to be used for the water and oil temperature gauges of an Iso Grifo. I now wonder if these after market sending units are accurate. Thanks for the heads up as I will test the sending units before I install them.
    BTW: The oil pressure sending units I recently purchased from MIE was also very inaccurate and displays a much high pressure.
    Ivan

5. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Dear all please ignore the post by the unpleasant and misguided William. Yes my company started only because the French tax department demanded I open it after good car sales in 2015 was wound down (my decision upon the tax department's suggestion) when sales stopped in subsequent years but my writing activities continue as you know. I am a writer first and foremost. The very unpleasant tone of William is only and strictly his fault after he insulted France and French racing drivers repeatedly last year, particularly when Pierre Gasly won the Italian GP. I put him on ignore after that. Now that France had a historical moto GP 1-2 yesterday with Quartararo and Zarco he has a flare up and felt like being unpleasant yet again. It is rather odd that someone who lives in France with a French wife should have such profound resentment for France. Now moderator can these two posts please be cancelled so normality can return?

Here what triggered his action see posts 11 and 12:

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/motogp-2021.639619/#post-147828580

Everyone, this is not worth commenting on, thank you, let's keep the thread on topic.

I will post on the McGraths Khamsins later, just been busy.

boralogist and MK1044 like this.
  6. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Well I guess the post was deleted good.

So time for me to mention another of those FIVE Khamsins I discovered at McGraths April 2019 I guess? It only took me two years;-)!

To proceed by rising chassis number we start with 335 sold new by MTC cars in London, 30 June 76, one of a small handful of Khamsins to have spent some time in Hong Kong when owned by Alban Pearson and the only one that has had the dubious honor of being given a...tow hook! It was used to tow a small caravan which with its huge torque it did as if it wasn't there. The funny thing is the tow hook was removed for an ebay auction in the Uk then put back on! The car was laos once displayed in a Hong Kong show with the two bar, imagine the reactions...

After its time in HK it was laid up in 1993 and unused for years in the Uk before being sold at a Bonhams auction in 2012. It was later recommissioned at McGraths which is when I saw it (photos attached). It had some period Blaupunkt high tech stereo adjustment buttons, not my specialty. It was then entered for an RM Sotheby's Auction, sold very cheap for 66125£GB Pounds.

If a photo in an indoor parking lot show up as last photo that is not this car, I tried to delete it but it seems I can't, never mind, that is another car see wipers.

Next episode 337 and a case of confused identity with 341. Enjoy the end of your Easter weekend:)

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

AMLC and 010 like this.
  7. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Boralogist is experiencing similar symptoms but neither of us feels this is normal. I would like to hear from other Khamsin owners as to how long your car maintains pressure on the clutch and steering after the engine has been turned off.

Ivan

71Satisfaction likes this.
  8. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    rga and Nembo1777 like this.
  9. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    #9534 AMLC, Apr 8, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
    Also found this advert in Autos International July/August 1990 issue, of #1288.

Earlier there was information about that car (manual transmission, black with red leather) in post #2276 on this thread (page 92).

Image Unavailable, Please Login

rga likes this.
  10. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Yes you are right as usual most likely the mystery car in Switzerland because black with red interior is very rare, though the first K I ever drove (in Colorado 1997) was AM120US1234 (whose owner I salute if he reads this) in those colors. So one less to identify and the puzzle comes closer to completion.

11. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Thanks for that never seen a photo of that one, here is the data I have thanks to Andy H.

K 431

Heywood data

MYX 175 X

Silver black manual

Bartol Brown

Not original color was white for a number of years. Was previously registred 1 BHK.

Cozza says made in May 1980. Was silver with blue. Imported through Motorpark West Midlands for Mister Perry Daneford of Blackpool.

12. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    Well actually I have my doubts now about the black-red Swiss car in Zofingen 2010, because, now that we have this photo of #1288, we can compare some things and the mirrors are completely different.
    And I don’t know if black is the original colour on the Swiss car.
    But on the other hand they did a lot to give that Swiss car a certain look, the wheels for instance, so that could explain the change of mirror(s).
    Anyhow it’s nice to have at least that photo in the advert now of which we can be sure that it’s #1288.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  13. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    Photos of #431 in white were already posted by Roger, see page 369. There is also one advert that I posted on that page, of a silver car, probably also #431 when it was silver before it was repainted white.
    But what I like about the latest post (#9533) of #431 is that you can see the other side of the car, including the mirror.

14. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    Marc, some time ago I think you mentioned that you had spoken to a Khamsin owner in Lebanon.

What I still wanted to ask (but kept forgetting :)) is if that means that you know the VIN of the car on the photo below?

Nembo1777 likes this.
  15. series1

series1 Karting

Apr 10, 2007
    Leamington Spa
    Full Name:
    Mark Butler
    #9540 series1, Apr 10, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
    Progress report... finally managed to get that bolt out!

I tried the slide hammer on its own to no avail, ended up waiting until the engine was out and used a combination of my son on the slide hammer and me with a drift on the back. Half of the thing is rusted, hence the resistance I think.

16. series1

series1 Karting

Apr 10, 2007
    Leamington Spa
    Full Name:
    Mark Butler
    AMLC, MK1044 and Nembo1777 like this.
  17. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    That is the worst I have ever seen. No wonder it did not want to come out. These were used by Jaguar and new ones are available. Good luck with the rest of the car!
    Ivan

series1 likes this.
  18. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Two have been in Lebanon, both black, one is still there, more on this tomorrow hopefully.

19. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    So the two Lebanese cars, both black; the first is 1302, one of the very last US cars, that of Abdo S.

He bought new from Grossmann in Nyack, NY when he was a student(!) one of the very last was for over 20 years in Connecticut in a home garage on stands (the multiple speeding tickets and licence suspension story can be searched in this thread) and put in motion every year as the owner lived in the UK and then Saudi before being brought to Beirut in 2007 where it got a bumper conversion....with parts bought over 20 years earlier. It was sold in 2008 off Ebay to Antwerp Belgium to a collector. A very well preserved, low miles car. Small world I will be trying one of his other cars (please don't ask) for an article in the next few weeks.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    The second Beirut Lebanon car is 1150, his one is there now and staying. It was for years in Montreal Canada.

This one is an automatic black red like its Cedar country sibling but according to Mar in Toronto who had another Khamsin for a few years it was silver new.

In Montreal it was overseen by Daniel N. for its owner Rami H. who lives in Beirut. Finally in recent years it was given a bare metal black respray and a Euro bumper conversion as well as complete reupholstery in light tan leather in Montreal before being relocated to Beirut. The auto box has been revised there more recently.

I met both of them at Retromobile last year and Rami wants to ship 1150 to Europe for KHAMSIN CINQUANTA June 16-19 2022 (in 14 months). That is not the only Khamsin that will cross at least part of the Mediterranean to come, there is another, black too, believe it or not:)

Here photos of 1150 in Montreal with US bumpers and then with Euro bumpers looking great in Beirut. Note US sidelights deleted, no Euro sidelights or outer rear view mirrors on yet.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

rga, boralogist and AMLC like this.
  21. alfieri107

alfieri107 Karting

Dec 4, 2011
    Hi, I remember having driven a similar one (black, interior red turning orange),in ca. 1999, a US car with European conversion, it was in bad condition mechanically, for sale by a gentleman in Bergdietikon AG, Switzerland (who pretended to be private, but he was in fact a dealer). The car was once with GTC's Guikas or a friend of his. I wonder where it ended up. I don't think it's the one in the GTC ad, as it wasn't in "bel état d'origine" at all.

AMLC and Nembo1777 like this.
  22. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #9547 Nembo1777, Apr 11, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
    Thanks for your memories, KL in Berg Dietikon, a suburb of Zurich, has been a dealer since at least the early eighties when I visited him in his chalet, as you say back then he was working from home, he had a Can Am car, a Miura, Bizzarrinis, including a 1900GT Europa I drove decades later for an article and a light blue Khamsin with Trident chrome ornament added to the hood bonnet (!).
    Jacques Pozzo di Borgo did advertise a black red K back then in the western USA but I never found out its chassis number.

It could possibly be 1008, ex Joe Martin in California, born silver, red, automatic, turned into five speed, black, interior being redone.

He died suddenly in early, mid 2000's, his daughter's then at a loss as to how to market it contacted me, then entrusted the sale to California dealer Randy Simon, only to cheat him and sell it from under him, he then bought it back, let them know what he thought of their manners and resold it, I have no news of this car since summer 2009.

Here the two photos Randy Simon sent me then. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

alfieri107, AMLC and boralogist like this.
  23. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    1.) I don't have mine back up and running yet, but when I test drove it in August, I tested the residual pressure by operating the headlight doors with the engine/ignition off. I was satisfied the system was good after 7 cycles up/down. I didn't perform the same test by operating the steering, brakes or clutch.

2.) I do recall from driving my friend's Khamsin 1180, that clutch pressure never lasted long.. I.e. - Every time I went to start his Kh I'd instinctively press the clutch in before turning the ignition key.. and I don't recall it ever retaining residual pressure for the clutch. Steering I don't recall. But I did note the compressor doesn't run excessively.

Could there be a "prioritization" - that residual pressure is "shunted" for critical functions, like the brakes? That could be a reasonable assumption, and fit your condition, especially with recently rebuilt spheres. I can ask Dave Burnham if he knows, I expect to see him this week.

Ciao,
    - Art

24. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Brakes are prioritized, yes.

25. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Hi Art,
    A couple of days ago I asked Dave Burnham and he was surprised my car could hold steering pressure for 15 minutes. He says most Citroen only hold pressure for 5 minutes. There must be some check valve that isolates the brakes from the rest of the system as these hold pressure for a very long time. I, like you, press the clutch when starting the engine and dislike to find a hard clutch. One must be very careful when parking a Khamsin on an incline, especially if it will be in that position overnight.

Ivan

71Satisfaction likes this.