458 - "Jerky" OFF-ON Throttle on 2012 458 Spider | Page 2 | FerrariChat

458 "Jerky" OFF-ON Throttle on 2012 458 Spider

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Corradosv, Sep 21, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. johnr265

johnr265 Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2010
    Mid-Atlantic
    I had a 2015 and it definitely had a touchy throttle so I think you can expect it in the next one you buy as well. Those owners that don’t notice it have simply adapted. I did as well but remember not liking. It when I first got the car. This is much less of an issue on the 488.

2. Rdwaggie

Rdwaggie Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 6, 2018
    My 2013 458 spider does the same but I wouldn’t call it jerky, it feels more like the car has two modes: accelerating or braking due the brake engagement when your foot comes off the gas as mentioned above. Question on acceleration though: my car from a stand still is more sluggish than I would have thought when you stomp on the gas. Once moving and the RPMs are up a little it is everything you would expect. Is this just the way the torque curve is designed on these cars or do other people get more responsiveness off the line (driving manual)? From a rolling start (even a slow one just getting RPMs above 2k-2.5k) it is very quick.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. daflk

daflk Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2013
    Hong Kong
    I’ve asked this in a separate thread but no response - is it possible to flash the TCU to improve shift speed? Even Pista uses same gearbox so hardware is capable just software programming

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    @soulseainsc
    #29 soulsea, Sep 22, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
    So everyone has a jerky off issue.

Would explain the sticky buttons. [​IMG]

I'll show myself out ... :)

Robert Collins, daflk and fossilfuel like this.
  5. chenging_r8

chenging_r8 Rookie

Jul 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Wonder if a tune to increase idle to above 1k would help. I find the jerkiness coming from when the rpms dip below 1k

6. oversteer

oversteer Rookie

Jun 28, 2007
    Orlando
    Interesting timing on your post Corradosv as I was just planning to take my car into the dealer because of this issue. I'm new to my 458 since August but have been racing cars for more than 30 years (just did the 14 hour at Daytona this weekend) and something is not right with the engine management. Exactly as you described, the problem is after you trail brake the car into the corner and transition back onto the gas, that gap as you move to pick up the throttle causes a major engine cutout with loud crackle that tries to snap the car out of control. Or, light brake for a corner that doesn't require a downshift and try to ease the car down to the apex by breathing the throttle and it'll crackle and snap and fight you all the way. My thought is that maybe a previous owner flashed the ECU to get more of the exhaust crackles at the expense of drivability? Maybe I take Kabillie's suggestion and talk to Mase Engineering. Either way, I'm 100% sure it not right and there is no way the Challenge cars are racing with this issue.

7. chenging_r8

chenging_r8 Rookie

Jul 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Chris
    now that you mention that, I just installed a DME tune that added the burbles a bit. Can overruns really cause the jerkiness ?

8. Corradosv

Corradosv Karting

Oct 17, 2016
    Monaco MC
    Hi chenging_r8 and oversteer,
    jut to put all in just one post:
    On the cars I have experience on, the issue is sure there well past 1k rpm, I honestly can't say wether I feel it better/worse at low/high rpm's, but sure it is there all the way up to the full rpm.
    As for the interference between pops/burbles and twitchy throttle sure there is some connection, as pops/burbles are induced by leaving fuelling on during overrunning, as opposed to the full cutoff of the stock map (from 2011), plus maybe something else I don't know (e.g. a different advance timing in overrun); the first throttle touch comes right after overrun, so it is strongly influenced by the past combustion history, and the amount of fuel and available O2 in the intake charge. I can say that sure I have an issue with the stock map and, in general, a total cutoff during overrun makes the problem worse, as it shall be compensated by some sort of transitional enrichment in the OFF-ON, which is always difficult to control.
    I have no experience of any stock pre-2011 car, so I can't say whether they were better/worse in this respect, but following the above, as a very oversimplified rule of thumb I would expect that cars cracking in overrun are better in this respect, as they don't have a total fuel cutoff in overrun; or at least I don't think they are worse. But mind you: I have no proof of this, just I feel to exclude that adding pops/burbles was the cause of your issue.

9. njcycleguy

njcycleguy Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 27, 2008
    Northeast
    Abrupt on/off throttle on 458's - pretty normal.

On/off throttle with transmission "catch up" - not normal.

The abrupt on/off throttle feeling was smoothed out when the 488 was introduced.

Try to drive another 458 before you commit.

10. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    The 458 just have really poor and sensitive throttle modulation. Probably the worst of any Ferrari. It was done to add "excitement".

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

11. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley