'09 GranTurismo S | FerrariChat

'09 GranTurismo S

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Jdubbya, Jan 19, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Toward the end of last year I grabbed an '09 GT S from another member here. Thought I'd start a new thread specific to these unique (in the US anyway) one year cars.

It's been cool to cold here since I got it so I haven't had much of a chance to really push the car much. The little bit of spirited driving I have done though it's been a blast. Was doing some running around yesterday as it turned out to be a nice sunny day. On the way home I go under a big overpass, it's the closest thing to a tunnel in my local area, and I ripped it a bit in first gear. Good lord this thing sounds amazing!!

I know there are at least a couple other owners on here, just wondering if there are any good tips, tricks, or ideas for driving these and keeping them up.

For instance, I've heard for some reason it's not healthy on the clutch to back it up a hill. No idea other than I guess it could be slipping a bit. Mine seems to take a minute to warm up and the clutch seems a tad slow on taking off out of my driveway. But by the time I'm up to the county road leaving my 'hood it seems to do fine.

Happy to be in the club. I drove it to work today and ran into a young lady in the parking garage who is into cars (has a nice BMW wagon and a few other rides) and blipped the throttle once so she could hear it. It's LOUD inside a concrete parking garage basement. :D:eek:

paulchua, jjmalez, wax and 3 others like this.
  2. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Enjoy it, please post photos (and why not an overpass video,:)). I loved the one I drove a few years ago with a Maserati France rep and do want one but it won't happen this year.
    You will find knowledgeable owners here who will provide good advice for your specific model year.

3. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    wax and Nembo1777 like this.
  4. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Very nice, I like the stripe because it is distinctive yet discrete, often they tend to be over the top and loud.

I am sure experienced owners will chime in but there were also threads about these in the past so if you search in this section you will find useful info. Have fun with it:)!

wax likes this.
  5. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Funny story. I gave one of my guys at work a ride home last Friday. It was cold out but it was dry so did a couple runs opening it up a bit. He liked it. Dropped him at home then headed to my home. Stopped at a light about 1/2 mile from him and the darned light wouldn't turn. Late at night, I almost ran the red light but couldn't see if anything was coming from the left side. It finally changed and I took off and drove home.

Today he asks me if I got stuck at the light and I looked at him funny. He let his dog outside and was standing out there when I took off once it finally changed and he could hear me from there. I laughed and told him what happened. Yeah, guess it's kinda loud!! :D

flat_plane_eddie, wax and Nembo1777 like this.
  6. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    This was delivery day, just a cell phone video, it does NOT do it justice!!

7. Drock28

Drock28 Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Tony
    hi there. I'm a relative new GT owner too.. picked up a 2008 GT 4.2L late 2019. absolutely love the car.

your 2009 GT-S, I believe is the actual single clutch F1 gearbox. which indeed is quite rare. As opposed to my car is ZF auto transmission.

although the F1 gearbox, im sure offers a more aggressive experience, I find the auto transmission on this car is absolutely fantastic..

if you were not aware, the only major thing I would note, which affected all GT's from 2008 as far as 2013 range.. is the timing variator issue. this is a very known issue.
    this was a design flaw, so its not that it will affect only some cars in that range, they were all built with the same flaw.
    given your car is a 2009, I would suggest to find out if the job was done. its possible a previous owner got it done, as Maserati was covering it as a warranty/recall.

when I picked up my car it was not done. so I had it done in Oct 2020.
    it is a big job. if you push, Maserati should still cover it, if it was not previously done.

Texas Forever likes this.
  8. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Nice, yes mine is the F1 car. It's pretty amazing so far. Only bad thing is parking can be a bit of a pain, it likes to either go or not go, not putt around a parking lot!! Mine had the variators done two owners ago. It's a beautiful day here, just finished up some stuff around the house and getting ready to go head out for a drive!! Enjoy!

9. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    So I filled up just after leaving home Sunday. Headed out for a drive then was going to stop at the store on the way home. Over two hours and a 1/4 tank of gas later I made it home. :) With a big 'ole **** eatin grin on my face. What a fun car. In sport mode, with the throttle mashed and up in RPM's.....this thing just sounds wicked the shifts are so fast. I'm going to try filming some drives later on. It's the best sounding car I've ever owned and one of the best in modern times in my opinion.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  10. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Great cars, I have a 12' QP - these are amazing cars. I think you'll be well pleased. The key is to be open to DIY, they break of course, however, I've found them relatively easy to work on and fix.