Precision engineering with a scaffold pole | FerrariChat

Precision engineering with a scaffold pole

Discussion in '308/328' started by GT4andMore, Apr 11, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GT4andMore

GT4andMore Karting

Oct 23, 2020
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Thought that as my Euro, RHD, GT4 is up on stands while I am rebuilding my wheels I would refurbish the throttle mechanism and change the cable. Looked like a nice afternoon job and a good bit of preventative maintenance but it turned into a two month nightmare.

First problem was one of the bolts holding the alloy casting to the chassis was seized solid in the casting. It must have been an original with a very shallow head which soon rounded off. Having almost set the car on fire when trying to apply some gentle heat I had to resort to cutting off the casting with an angle grinder and cold chisel.

Removing the throttle cable was even worse as it seems the outer plastic sheath had melted or fused to the wall of the narrow steel tube that runs down the back of the engine. After many failed attempts to dislodge it I had to use to a scaffold pole twisting and levering the cable sheath out from under the car, slowly unwinding the steel outer coil of the old cable. With the steel removed I was able to ream out the debris from the top of the tube with a long drill and finally pull through a bicycle chain which I could spin slowly with a drill in order to completely clean out the tube.

Final clean and paint of all the chassis areas, a bag of new pins, bearings and cables from Ferrari Parts and everything went back beautifully this afternoon.

Not quite the maintenance with soft white gloves that I had expected when I purchased a Ferrari.

Now back to those wheels.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

GordonC and 308 milano like this.
  2. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    Wow, nice work rescuing that! There are always some surprises to be found when we tackle maintenance projects on 40+ year old cars, hopefully not too many!

Let us know how the wheel work goes.

Cheers,
    Gordon

3. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Check your engine to chassis ground strap. The one on my Land Rover had come disconnected and when I started the engine it used the parking brake cable as a path to chassis ground and fused it to the sheath. Just an FYI.

4. miked

miked Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Most Ferrari maintenance is done with a checkbook, glad to see that you are willing to tackle these type of projects, there will be more to come

I am currently resurrecting my old ur-Quattro that has been sitting in my garage for 20 years after it wouldn't pass emissions. It is the most complex car that I have ever worked on. To get to part "A" you have to remove part "B" which has 4 bolts one of which is blocked by part"C". To remove part "C" you have to remove part "D" and on it goes. It makes working on my GT4 as easy as working on a 1950's farm tractor.

5. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    Glad to see someone else’s car gives them as good a fight as mine

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

6. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk