Building a Caterham | FerrariChat

Building a Caterham

Discussion in 'British' started by sainthoo, Jul 21, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sainthoo

sainthoo Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Anyone bought the “kit” option?

I am sending my deposit tomorrow AM. Should get kit in January/February. Excited, but perhaps more nervous. To say I am “inexperienced” wrenching is being kind.

Going for a 420R, pic for interest with my spec (wrong wheels, getting the 13” for track duty- changed at last second).

Image Unavailable, Please Login

MK1044, LightGuy, Boomhauer and 5 others like this.
  2. fastback33

fastback33 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2004
    Awesome!

I love these. I've drooled over various build threads over on pistonheads and they are so simple it seems like you could build one over a weekend almost.

Good luck and keep us updated on the build progress.

Boomhauer likes this.
  3. Jeff328

Jeff328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2006
    WI
    The staff at Road & Track magazine are building one right now. Apparently it is not as easy as it seems. I think Caterham says the average build takes about 120 hours.

BJK likes this.
  4. sainthoo

sainthoo Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Yeah, I heard 100-150 “depending.” Given my total lack of any useful experience, I’ll assume 150+.

Kit should arrive in January/February. Father/son project - praying the wheels don’t come off literally and figuratively. So, if anyone has any advice, please share.

Boomhauer likes this.
  5. definitelysomeday

definitelysomeday Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2009
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom Kavan
    Following. Looking forward to updates.

6. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    with the looong list of old and new cars you've owned, how is that possible? o_O :confused: :)

sainthoo likes this.
  7. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    sainthoo likes this.
  8. sainthoo

sainthoo Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    Full Name:
    Christian
    My son will be a senior, gonna make time. Where did the time go?

I have a 3 car garage that I will vacate (bench/parts in 1 bay, then 2 open bays for build). Looking for storage for the C8 and GT3RS (Panamera is gonna has to live outside).

Caterham will become an heirloom; it and a ‘73 CJ5 that my Dad bought new aren’t ever going anywhere (otherwise I have a major car flipping problem).

BJK likes this.
  9. sainthoo

sainthoo Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Oof- just got word that supply chain issues have pushed factory build date to the 1st week in March.

Ouch.

10. sainthoo

sainthoo Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Well, should be built this week.

Now, have to get shipped here to USA, which with global supply chain and shipping issues means??? I am told to anticipate July, brutal.

11. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Get a quote for air transport. The premium on vessels has closed the gap, and might be worth it to get it months sooner.

Matt

12. sainthoo

sainthoo Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    Full Name:
    Christian
    I’ll try that, thanks!

Smiles likes this.
  13. sainthoo

sainthoo Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Waiting on differential for air vs sea in terms of both cost and time (thanks for that suggestion Smiles!).

Did get this update - chassis is finally assembled to a degree. Still missing some parts....

LightGuy likes this.
  14. sainthoo

sainthoo Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    Full Name:
    Christian
    marklintott likes this.
  15. sainthoo

sainthoo Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Everything is now in the USA. Just need to get it shipped to central VA. 12 month delay.

16. sainthoo

sainthoo Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Okay, it’s in the garage. I am completely out of my depth. Not sure what I was thinking. Posting to shame myself into getting this done. On second thought, I built a lot of Legos as a kid, some were technic too.

LVP488 and BJK like this.
  17. sainthoo

sainthoo Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    Full Name:
    Christian
    LVP488, EarlyCat, TexasF355F1 and 3 others like this.
  18. JL350

JL350 Karting

Jan 20, 2013
    Might I suggest a bit of a planning phase, read through the instructions and think about how you will physically do the assembly so that you know where the car will be built, where bulky and heavy items are stored and then moved to the car during assembly. Things that are delicate like body panels and glass should be kept safe, but if you can store things so they are in order on when you need them, or layed out how they are located on the car it will lessen the frustration of looking for parts. You can do an inventory while unpacking and laying out so you know what you have and what you need…

It is going to take time to assemble the car, and it is made up of lots of little steps, for me it is about doing each step properly to minimise going backwards to fix things, and then just getting the next step done. Stand back and admire the workmanship at the end of the day and enjoy the process and soon enough it is done.

sainthoo likes this.
  19. sainthoo

sainthoo Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Agree on being deliberate as much as possible. Enjoying the process rather then a rushing to the end is the idea (not sure how realistic that is? I want to drive it!).

JL350 likes this.
  20. JL350

JL350 Karting

Jan 20, 2013
    These kits can be a simple affair if the instructions are easy to follow and detailed, it’s best to know this before assembly starts, small items that are missed resulting in parts having to be removed when the bolts have been tightened up can be tedious. Losing parts or damaging them frustrating. People become disillusioned quickly when they feel overwhelmed or don’t see instant progress, so I find it’s about managing that more than anything…

Does the kit give an estimated time to complete assembly? We expect regular updates.

21. sainthoo

sainthoo Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    Full Name:
    Christian
    The kit should be “complete.” But, yes I expect something is not in there.

My biggest fear is getting frustrated/ disillusioned, hence this very public thread to keep me going.

I have seen anything from 100-150 hours. I assume 150-200 for someone like myself (zero experience).

09Scuderia and JL350 like this.
  22. sainthoo

sainthoo Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Okay, finished unpacking.

hour count (guesstimate):
    Day 1- 2 hours getting the crate off the chassis with the chassis still attached to the floor of the crate, miscellaneous unpacking/ arranging
    Today- 4.5 hours getting everything unpacked. Getting chassis off crate floor (see below for description, pics).

The packing and crating seems to have been done by a troop of monkeys- about 75-80% of the screws were either bent or broken…. PITA to get crates disassembled.

I trip to farm to get 2, 8’ boards to lift chassis.
    I trip to hardware store to get a light stand, tape, towels, zip ties, cleaning supplies.

LightGuy likes this.
  23. sainthoo

sainthoo Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    Full Name:
    Christian
    definitelysomeday likes this.