bonnet & trunk open lamps on dashboard always on | Page 2 | FerrariChat

bonnet & trunk open lamps on dashboard always on

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by franschman, Jan 16, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Thanks for the feedback on the non-M. I'll add this to my notes for the non-M

That general alarm diagram shows one of my earlier concerns, that the boot and bonnet connection go to the same pin on the aftermarket alarm. This is essentially a short and would put both instrument panel lights on if only one switch was activated or faulty.

The only brown-white wires I could find in the M version wiring diagrams were related to the driver's door lock actuator (lock or unlock? command) and the low oil pressure light.

That alarm wiring looks insane.

2. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Do you know if the purple wire is putting out a small voltage?

Maybe you need to insert some diodes in the circuit to make the dash warning lights ignore the alarm system.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. franschman

franschman Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2017
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Bart
    Qavion, your assistance on this forum is greatly appreciated (I read every one of your contributions whether relevant for me or not, it's always interesting) and a extra motivation for me to bring my car back to pristine condition. Thank you!

I had thought of diodes as well but haven't tested that yet. What wondered me is why the alarm functioned at all, the way it was wired. It should have gone off immediately as it registered an open trunk and bonnet? Or would it ignore open doors/trunks/etc if you arm it?

Now only try to find the brown wire from the trunk switch, and identify the brown/white. It will be a few days before I have some time again to dig into it again.

4. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    I assume it will only go off if it has been armed and doors have been locked? i.e. forced entry

I'm not sure about the diodes either. The alarm system may not be supplying voltage at all, but relying on the voltage coming from the instrument panel (which powers the warning lights). The voltage potential will change when an earth is presented by one of the switches.

I just can't see a solution to this if there is a single wire going into the alarm and there are two switches. The average car may just put on a single light for the trunk and bonnet (i.e. it can't distinguish between them like the Ferrari can)

5. franschman

Dec 18, 2017
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Bart
    But with ignition off, doors locked, there is no power on the instrument panel (?). So I guess the alarm has it's own power. Just hope it's enough to jump the voltage loss over the diode. I'll give it a try!

But I still have the issue of trying to find the trunk switch wire, and identify this earthed brown/white.

6. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Good point. Normally, lamps are powered by key power.

Yeah, I thought about that, too.

The trunk switch wire probably changes colour at the splice between the trunk lamp and the "trunk open" microswitch.

Where is the brown/white wire and what was connected when you were checking it? The 456M trunk wire is brown/white (where it goes into the instrument panel).
    You'd just have to figure out why it's 1.5 ohms. Could the ohmmeter be measuring something in the alarm ECU? Maybe there is already a diode in the circuit and it's partially shorted :p

7. franschman

Dec 18, 2017
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Bart
    I'd hoped that the brown/white wire is the actual wire going to the switch, but for as far as I have seen now, it is not.

8. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    On the 456 (non-M), are there two switches in the trunk?

I was trying to make sense of the wiring on the M cars and I noticed there were two "switches", 6G and 5G in the trunk.

Is there another sensor/switch for the light only on the 456?

I guess if one controls the light only, it would explain why your light is on all the time.

The 456M has a grey-black wire for the light and a brown-green wire for the instrument indications (which changes to brown/white before it reaches the instrument panel)

See plug 8E/3E for the changepoint:

9. franschman

Dec 18, 2017
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Bart
    Apparently my car is 'soluzione superata'; I have only one switch (#53) which is of the push-in-to-break-contact type.

I would have thought the trunk light is controlled by one of the ecu's under the dash; with the lid open, the light will go out after a certain time. Then it is not so unlogical to have the switch wired along the left side of the car while the lamp is wired along the right hand side.

I'll just have to try follow the wire.

10. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Interesting. Is that normal or is it being caused by the aftermarket alarm? Does opening the trunk also turn on the interior lights on the standard 456? I'm just wondering if the delay is being handled by the inner lights time delay module. I see the 456 (non-M) has the same interior light time delay module as the F355.

Maybe you could check to see if the trunk light or switch is hooked up to the module?

(particularly to the L and P terminals)

or just pull the time delay module and see if you still get a delay and 1.5 ohms to earth.

By the way, did you say you say there was no continuity between the trunk switch and the trunk lamp?

11. franschman

Dec 18, 2017
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Bart
    Not that I have found. Hence my thought that the light must be switched via some other switch.

My daily Lancia Kappa coupe, same age as the 456, has that feature. Trunk light will go out after an hour or so if you leave the lid open. Very handy. The kappa and 456 share surprisingly many features, including the WSM layout, except that in the case of the kappa, the WSM is surprisingly comprehensive. It's only that nobody ever takes notice, as the WSM is never needed. These cars never break down!

I will check the time relay as you suggest.

12. franschman

Dec 18, 2017
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Bart
    While waiting for the seat pot meter shafts I had another go on the electrics. A long and frustrating day it was.

I managed to disconnect some of the cables to the complicated aftermarket alarm system to the effect that the bonnet and trunk warning lamps now work as intended. However, the trunk light that was permanently on is now permanently off and the trunk lid doesn't open anymore :-(

Back to the diagrams, page L56. Aft of the 3 connectors (1-6E, 2-7E and 3-8E), of which I only found 2, everything seems original and untouched. So I concentrate on what is forward of that.

How do you open the connector with the yellow cap on it? I can't get it apart.
    Just for reference of wire colors (@Quavion), the red connector sits on the trunk release button.

I'm not there yet...

Attached Files:

13. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Good to hear. That alarm system was high on my "suspect" list.

Thanks! I'll add a little graphic of the plug to my diagram.

Note that I draw my plug graphics showing the pin side of the plug (unlike Ferrari). i.e. not the wire side. In cases where the wires are not visible, this is more useful.

Not sure. Does the yellow part slide to one side?

Are you getting key power on the red-green wire on 1-6E (if there is a red-green wire)? Sorry, it will take me a while to refresh my memory on this problem.

14. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
  15. franschman

Dec 18, 2017
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Bart
    Hello Quavion, thanks again for your assistance.
    To be able to measure on the wires I need to open this connector. But it is hard to reach, I can only touch it with one hand, and I have not been able to open it. There must be an easy trick, like 'push here'. I will try again tonight, but if someone can give directions that would be much appreciated.

16. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    I'm really surprised that there are no connectors between 1-6 E and the lamp. Basically the wire runs from the front of the centre console to the lamp.

The wire colours look quite different on the 456 (compared to the M). Sorry, I forgot you said the power wire to the lamp was either brown-green or red-black. So you'd be looking for those colours on the 1-6E plug?

The white plug behind 1-6E in your photo looks like the 456M's plug 3-8E.

17. franschman

Dec 18, 2017
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Bart
    Indeed.
    But I really need to open that connector but don't know how. (It's a bit like the connectors at the door hinges; impossible to open unless you know how and then it's super easy)

18. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    That yellow tab would seem to be the key. You just have to figure out which way to move it. What I don't understand is why there seems to be two release clips on the same side of the connector.

Perhaps someone on the Tech Forum can help you.

19. franschman

Dec 18, 2017
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Bart
    To open the connector, PULL the yellow tap out! (told you it was easy...)

I can start measuring the wires now.

I also found another clue in the puzzle, which is that the instrument lights don't work, while the 15A fuse is fine and has 12V on it. This is the same fuse as the trunk release, so problems may well be related. Which fuse is the trunk light?