Restoration vid with a vertrosina | FerrariChat

Restoration vid with a vertrosina

Discussion in '308/328' started by Portofino, Apr 4, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Portofino

Portofino Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2011
    Yorkshire UK / Switzerland/ Liguria ( Italy )
    Full Name:
    Portofino
    Near the end , suggest watch it all .

SJP 5 and Rosey like this.
  2. JC Andruet

JC Andruet Karting

Jan 16, 2013

I saw this in the background of one of Iain's images he'd posted on Instagram recently, and hoped he'd do a video feature on it. Makes for grim (and somewhat scary) viewing.

A Vetroresina was sold for what I considered to be "very cheaply" on a UK auction site in July of last year, one wonders if this was the same car :

https://collectingcars.com/for-sale/1976-ferrari-308-gtb-vetroresina

Images 8, 9 & 10 along with image 26, 27 and 28 in the gallery.

I doubt it's looking quite such a bargain now :eek:

3. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    The car on Iains video looked so good on first impressions and under the skin proved to be riddled with rust.
    Perfect example of buyer beware when buying a used Ferrari.
    One of Iains best videos so far.

4. JC1720

JC1720 Karting

Jan 21, 2016
    UK
    Thanks for posting, but I haven’t been able to sleep since watching!

Rosey likes this.
  5. Arvid

Arvid Formula Junior

May 28, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Arvid Andersson
    Love Iain's videos. I have been missing this level of knowledge and details in YT videos. He is one of a kind.

The vetroresina pictures are scary for sure. There is no sign of rustproofing other than a coat of base color - if that.

6. Portofino

Portofino Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2011
    Yorkshire UK / Switzerland/ Liguria ( Italy )
    Full Name:
    Portofino
    Fortunately I bought mine from S Italy.I think it’s a winter salt + dampness thing .
    I have and do regularly waxoil the underneath frames etc .So far so good .Also do under the scuttle .
    Use something like “ seek and seal “ around the front screen seals .
    Even with the best weather planning they do get wet ,2019 I did a whole day up the French autoroute s in 9issing sumner rain / spray .Later that Autumn on a cold ( but dry morning run ) the fuel guage glass started to develop condensation inside Arghhh !
    It’s dry now , but nether the less water made it in overtaking lorries with the spray etc for 6 hrs in France.
    That’s when I used seek n seal .
    You can visually see those Fwds frame sections if you remove the fwds underneath inspection panel ( where the rack + brake balancer lives ) , the spare tyre and front grill .Also pop up the lights and looks in between. You can eyeball the lower rad mounts from both sides with the grill off too .

Wax them all .

Store it in dry garage .

As the vid suggest it’s not Ferrari it’s the whole 60s 70s Italian car steel thing inc Lambos .

Anyhow the appeals of a N European Vetroresina or the premium imho has evaporated.

7. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    I think the price of 308 fibreglass cars have softened in general.

Over here in Australia I have seen late model 328's match 308 fibreglass cars in price almost dollar for dollar.

8. JC Andruet

JC Andruet Karting

Jan 16, 2013
    For those of you on Instagram, the car that I mentioned above that was sold at auction in the UK in July last year, has now appeared here :

https://www.instagram.com/cavallino61/

and is undergoing a restoration.