trading my gt3 for an Italia | FerrariChat

trading my gt3 for an Italia

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by palmpalm, Apr 14, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

991.2 GT3 vs 2014 458 Italia

Poll closed Apr 15, 2021.
  1. Keep GT3

9 vote(s)
    23.1%
  2. Trade for Italia

30 vote(s)
    76.9%
  1. palmpalm

palmpalm Rookie

Jun 29, 2010
    I have a 991.2 GT3 that I love, I've always wanted a mid-engine na Ferrari, I have the opportunity for a good trade of my Porsche for a 2014 Italia . What do you all think?

2. PMiranda

PMiranda Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Asking these people I think you can predict the answer unless your intended use is track all day long :)

3. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    No comparison Ferrari all the way.

4. JesseRohr

JesseRohr Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 27, 2020
    Birmingham AL
    Full Name:
    Jesse Rohr
    I recently traded a 991.2 GT3RS for a 488 GTB and I'm happy I made the move. They both complimented my 812 SF well but the RS was too radical for daily driver duty as much as I loved it.

The Porsche is a better quality car if I am honest though. The Ferrari is a little more fragile if that makes sense.

Wikdstrate and Spider68 like this.
  5. xBox

xBox Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2018
    The Emerald Isle
    I made a similar change from 991.2 GT3 to 812 SF and F8. Couldn't be happier.

Depends how you use the GT3 and plan to use the 458. 458 will bring a touch more luxury, but the GT3 has the ability to connect with its driver like no other.

So, track and driving for pure fun, GT3, more relaxed duties 458, IMO.

johnr265 and Petrolhead#32 like this.
  6. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Manual. Keep. PDK. Trade.

Need4Spd, Adamas, Spezia and 2 others like this.
  7. Petrolhead#32

Petrolhead#32 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2020
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Petrolhead#32
    Agree with many of the responses. I'm the lucky owner of both, 2018 GT3 MT, and 2013 458 Spider. I love them both the same as they were my kids... ;)

It's all about use cases. I use the 458 as more of my DD and the GT3 for the track. If you don't go to the track, I'd suggest the 458 because the Ferrari ownership experience is just unlike anything. The car is one of the best Ferraris ever and while the Porsche is built like a tank, the 458 is just another level. But... if you want to track it, I'd take the GT3 over the 458.

That's how I'd think about it myself. You can only win, even if you end up keeping it.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
  9. Spezia

Spezia Karting

Dec 15, 2019
    Full Name:
    John Weires
    Definitely a good answer.

10. JanStuart

JanStuart Karting

Mar 20, 2019
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jan Sirota
    I did exactly that with my 2018 GT3. The 2015 Italia was a place holder until I got my F8, which came a month ago. The GT3 drives better, is more reliable and has more features than the 458. At the same time, I loved the 458 and missed it for about 2 weeks after delivery of the F8. My first rally changed my mind (after doing the obligatory 660 miles before putting it into Race). Recommendation: even though Ferrari is different and the 458 showed me why, skip the 458 and order an F8 if you can. If not, keep the GT3.

11. JanStuart

JanStuart Karting

Mar 20, 2019
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jan Sirota
  12. JanStuart

JanStuart Karting

Mar 20, 2019
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jan Sirota
    unless you track the car. then PDK is the only way to go

Petrolhead#32 and IloveGT like this.
  13. axlesofevil

axlesofevil Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    I've never driven a GT3, but I imagine it's a more reliable and predictable track toy. My 458 is certainly fast on the track but you have to be paying attention. The GT3 is probably also slightly more practical with slightly more room in the cabin.

You will get a LOT more attention driving a 458 than a GT3. Sometimes that's fun sometimes it's a pain in the butt.

14. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    I agree. Parking in a public garage or street is no longer a discreet thing.

15. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    I say go 458 but I am bias because that is what I have. I take mine to the track and its a blast. Unless you are insanely good its more than enough car for the track and improving lap times is more about improving your driving skill. The 458 also has ascetics that lack in later mid-engine Ferraris so every drive is exciting and you can really feel the uniqueness and expressiveness that lacks in your run-of-the-mill turbo charged nanny state cars.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  16. Petrolhead#32

Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2020
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Petrolhead#32
    One more comment / thought:

What's the condition of the 458? If it's in great condition, <20k miles, then I'd consider. But a not good shape 458 over a nice and new 991.2... Mmmm, you may end up regretting it. The 458 requires a lot more 'love', let's just say.

I'm lucky I bought my 2013 458 Spider from a guy that kept great care of it. No issues in 7 months and 6k miles of ownership. But... I have done quite a few things to it and those cost me some good $$$ because it's never cheap to work on a Ferrari, compared to the Porsche.

My GT3: No issues in almost a year ownership, tracked it 4x, everything just works! I love that type of reliability and security.

17. Petrolhead#32

Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2020
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Petrolhead#32
    Mmm... I'd suggest the 458 rather than F8 and I'll tell you why:

1) The GT3 is an amazing NA engine revving to 9k and it sounds incredible. The 458 is that way too, but it's different. So the upgrade there will be noticeable, and you'll miss that sound experience with the F8.
    2) Price wise, he can still keep it <$200k.

I think I'd consider going from the 458 to the F8, but the jump from GT3 to 458 is ideal, IMHO.

willcrook likes this.
  18. Petrolhead#32

Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2020
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Petrolhead#32
    I actually find the 458 to be more practical and more of a DD. The GT3, specially my MT, is most definitely rougher ride and more noisy.

Everything else, agree 100%

19. Petrolhead#32

Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2020
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Petrolhead#32
    Wouldn't you say PDK is actually more ideal for the track? I'd say IF you track the GT3, PDK is the way to go, right?

JanStuart likes this.
  20. Petrolhead#32

Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2020
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Petrolhead#32
    I misunderstood your point, read too fast. Reading it again, I think you meant that if you track the car, you want PDK. Sorry...

JanStuart likes this.
  21. john Owen

john Owen Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2018
    Full Name:
    John Owen
    I had a 991.2GT3 PDK alongside my 458 Italia for about a year.. I then traded the GT3 for a new 991.2GT3 RS WP to run with my 458. I then traded my 458 for a 488GTB which is currently sharing the garage with my RS.
    I love all four cars but a Porsche GT car complements a Ferrari V8 perfectedly whichever combination you have. Porsche GT is very different to a V8 Ferrari which makes choosing between them impossible.. All truly great cars.

22. palmpalm

palmpalm Rookie

Jun 29, 2010
    Thanks for all the input. I think I'm going to keep the GT3 for now (it is a manual) and perhaps buy a Ferrari when I can afford both.

Gh21631, italiafan, mikesufka and 4 others like this.
  23. axlesofevil

axlesofevil Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    I've said this a dozen times and I'll probably say it a dozen more. Supercars are all about how they make you feel. You can talk until you're blue in the face about the stats and what they're like on paper, but nothing is as important as the feeling they give you when you see them in the garage or thrash them around a track.

I'm sure you'd be happy with either. If you love your GT3, keep it. If you desire a 458, get that. If you can afford both, even better! :D

24. Petrolhead#32

Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2020
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Petrolhead#32
    Wow, if it's an MT, then you have one of the best sports cars in the world and, in my opinion, it'll become a classic one day. I think you're making the right call.

Spezia likes this.