Starting to learn about the 599 GTB Fiorano | FerrariChat

Starting to learn about the 599 GTB Fiorano

Discussion in '612/599' started by Bleu Omdurman, Apr 10, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bleu Omdurman

Bleu Omdurman Karting

Dec 3, 2006
    Bellevue, WA
    Full Name:
    Trevor
    I am likely to buy a 599 this summer. While I love my current Ferrari, I have had it a long time and don't find myself as "excited" to go play with it. So I am starting to learn and I would love the help of the wise 599 souls on this board.

Where I am coming from:
    1) I love my current Ferrari (Challenge Stradale) but it is no longer meeting my needs
    2) I want a GT car to enjoy on long drives with friends, the club, and on rallies with my beautiful co-pilot.
    3) I have some preference for cars that hold value but I am not looking for an investment. This car will be driven about 2-4k miles a year.
    4) I have never owned a V12 Ferrari

What I care about:
    1) My passenger's comfort
    2) My driving pleasure
    3) Common maintenance issues
    4) Options available
    5) Aftermarket changes that are commonly preferred
    a) For example, on the CS in a rainy area, the stock tires are pretty much garbage. they would also be 17 year old technology at this point so most people would point you to a newer tire that does better in the wet.
    b) another example might be something related to a passport install, or other some such thing. I am looking for anything to watch out for or to value that might be specific to the 599.

So, what do I need to know about the 599 to make the most informed purchase?

Thank you in advance for your thoughtful posts and direction to key resources!!!

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    You've found them: read read read the many what to look for when buying a 599 threads already here - then read some more !

LVP488 likes this.
  3. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Reading will help you select the best example; besides, if you can arrange some driving time it will also be beneficial: the 599 is a truly fantastic car, but it's very different from a 360 CS... If you find one for sale at a Ferrari dealer, go and ask for a drive ;)

4. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

All I would say is, once you go to the V12 you will never go back!

Hawkeye, Potenza430, Skidkid and 2 others like this.
  5. kahrl

kahrl Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 19, 2009
    Hudson, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Bob Kahrl
    I traded in my 2-seater for a 2+2,. in my case a 612. You mentioned that you wanted passenger comfort and that you wanted to share the experience with "friends." You can actually fit friends in the back of a 612. A 612 is essentially a 599 with a big wheelbase. Indeed, I have heard that the 612 is the biggest production Ferrari ever built. The benefit to your passenger is that the l-o-o-ng wheelbase is a great benefit for comfort. Drive one and experience the power and smoothness. However, if you think about going this direction, please insist upon an OTO. These later ones have the super-quick double-clutch system missing from the earlier versions, and some other updates that make the car mechanically indistinguishable from a 599. Plus they are better looking than the 599.. There have been 2+2's following the 612, but they are plug-ugly in comparison. I agree with George's thought, supra, that once you have had the V12 experience, you won't go back. (this may ultimately require all of us V12 addicts to get stuck in the past).

Bleu Omdurman likes this.
  6. Bleu Omdurman

Bleu Omdurman Karting

Dec 3, 2006
    Bellevue, WA
    Full Name:
    Trevor
    Hi kahrl,

Actually, I was just referring to a passenger. One in particular in fact. ;)

Fortunately, leg room is not a concern of hers.

Caphill likes this.
  7. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Super comfortable, my wife fell asleep on a 1.5 hr drive. Get on it and it is a fire breathing monster. Handling is very good. Reliability is good on the 599 but, like the CS, you need to get it sorted first. The transmission is MUCH better than the CS. Not that many "upgrades" to do. GTO grill, a few exhaust mods out there. wheels and tires, that's about it.

I could add that I had a 360 Spider for 12 years, never thought I would sell it. Got the 599 and never looked back. Don't miss the 360 at all.

Zaza, 599_GTO and George Vosburgh like this.
  8. steve moody

steve moody Karting

Apr 27, 2019
    Cape Coral, Florida 33914
    Full Name:
    steve moody
    The 599 is a much more complicated car than a 360 or 430. Look for oil in the intakes due to overfilling. This can lead to a cleanout and MAF sensor replacement. Transmission and clutch are robust and shifting is very positive and well behaved. HGTE provides flatter handling but has more road noise and you will feel the bumps more. Sticky buttons and panels will need to be corrected if not already done. Look for oil leaks around the back of the cam covers and in the electrical connectors for the camshaft sensors. Look for leaking shocks (up to $10K for a set). Get a PPI done by a Ferrari mechanic who knows these cars.

When you find a good car, you will love it. The interior is sublime. The size of the car disappears when you are driving it. Parking sensors help in tight quarters. In my eye, the design is very clean compared to the later cars. Response to the go pedal is immediate.

The exhaust is quiet compared to the Mid Rear V8's, even on an HGTE. You might want to consider cat delete pipes as a simple mod that will not cause check engine faults. You might also want to consider Challenge shift paddles.

9. Rex71

Rex71 Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2007
    Jeddah,Saudi Arabia
    Full Name:
    Majd B.
    Also, the TFT screen is known to have blinking issues.

Stats1 and Makuono like this.
  10. Justin Hughes

Justin Hughes Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 8, 2020
    Oxfordshire - UK
    Full Name:
    Hughesie
    Parking sensors - i've replaced all of mine I think now
    Front headlamp washers - both mine replaced
    Clutch at 57k miles - cautionary replacement as the clutch master line went so did it at the same time
    My diff needed a rebuild at 54k for some reason - the rear end felt a bit light
    TFT screens

either than that its just regular servicing.

Get one - you won't regret it !

11. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    After ten years of owning my HGTE, I would say that if you want a nicer ride, skip the HGTE optioned cars. Other than that, tires and oil changes.

Rex71 and Skidkid like this.
  12. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I've had mine for over a year, and I do love it! its so much different from my 328 - the power is clearly over the top, and the styling is not as loud and in your face. but its just a great handling car, the interior is much more comfy -and the AC works great... it does not scream Ferrari like the older cars.. and I kind of like that ... the 328 - used to get a lot of attention.. just cause it was so different and small. the 599 IS NOT a small car - so it has its driving challenges.... steep driveways, and kerbing are difficult to negotiate ...

as for what to watch out for :
    1. Clutch wear - clutches go faster when in slippery surface mode - so get a reading on it - a delaer will not consign if under 50% - its an $8-10K job.
    2. Brake pads - $1000 per set = $2500 for all 4 with labor... ensure there is meat on the pad - Disc' can crack or distort -but this is for ones that have been tracked or really beat on.
    3. Sticky buttons - it just happens Ferrari does not care -about $4K-$5K to fix it all
    4. Radiators - sadly they get corroded and leak... this is a hard one - as mine never came close to getting too hot, but it was weeping... so check the rad itself. with the undertray - its hard to detect leaks.
    5. Parking sensors & erratic codes. it is not unusual for erroneous codes to come up. Electrical System Failure with triangle and P symbol... this means the parking sensor are dirty or don't like something... you just live with it.
    6. Checking the Oil... stupid & very tricky method to check oil... the oil has to be HOT and you check it running... to get a good reading. it will usually look low - and then you add more oil. then what happens is the breather system sucks it back up PCV valve, through the head and spits it out into the intake and it gums up the MAF sensors ... of which there are 2.... and you get a check engine light... open up the air boxes and you find a slick of oil or worse a long puddle of oil there. the PCV valves from Ferrari are $$$$ you can use a Maserati one ... but the labor to change it is $$$$ cause its just not easy. also have to clean the MAF sensors... etc... you can do it at home but its a PITA.
    7.Oil changes - expensive because the whole tray has to come off.. and its UBER tight where the oil filter is... its amazing to me that the filter is so small...
    8. Tires - front tires wear fast... and they can be $$$$
    9. Engine Mounts - go quickly ... but unless the engine is really shaking you can change at leisure.
    10 Shocks - leak over time... expensive to replace but again you can do over time. (if you get a failure light - replace them ASAP)

PPI - read Clutch wear:
    do a scan for codes
    check for oil leaks from cam seals - and PVC valves
    Check for exhaust clearance - and torque tube alignment with the differential
    then normal wear and tear items.

All that being said the 599 is reliable and usable ... I've done 6K miles in a year loving every moment. Its literally one shift from the sublime to the ridiculous!

13. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    All correct except the oil checking is even more fiddly than described. It has to be hot and running but as I recall you rev it to xxxx RPM for xx time then let it drop to idle for no more than xx time before checking. I read all of the numbers but don't remember them so I put xx but it is in the manual. I had oil, brake fluid, and motor mounts, mount & balance 4 new tires, and a couple of little things the price was just over $3,500. about 1/2 of that was parts (mounts are expensive and I supplied tires).

Shocks can be rebuilt for a reasonable amount, about $600 per corner. Think around 2K for the two front or rear including labor. Fronts were done on my car but I will have to do the rears eventually.

I would add that none of that should deter you from buying a 599. It is the best car I have ever owned.

14. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Yes you are correct about the Oil change procedure. When you see it being done - it just really makes you think who is designing this stuff. FOA tech ran the car at like 5K+ RPM.... ( not exactly sure the actual RPM - but sounded really high ) ... and held it there for what seemed like forever... and that was after driving it to the dealership for 35 min... but he showed me - when i got there it looked like no oil, but after heating it up... volia! oil. But yes, its seems a good car... but its a Ferrari so you will have repairs none the less.

Skidkid likes this.
  15. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

For one reason or another, I put a bucket of cash into this thing every year. What I get for that is possibly one of the best super cars ever built.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Skidkid likes this.
  16. bigsquat

bigsquat Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2013
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Troy
    I am going in the exact opposite direction. After 2 years I just sold my 599 and am buying a CS. I bought the 599 for most of the reasons you mentioned but for me it ended up being a little on the boring side so time for a change. The 599 is an incredible value right now as well, nothing beats it for the money.

17. MikeJ

MikeJ Rookie

Jun 2, 2005
    Great car that truly is Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. You can cruise comfortably for hours with enough luggage room but when you drive it in manual race mode it becomes a beast. Get one with a PPI, not too many miles and not too few. I am selling mine this summer, so contact me if you want to drive it. Not sure where you are located. see my ad in the classified section
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    contact me for video or more pics: [email protected]

Hawkeye likes this.
  18. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    As Steve McQueen said in Thomas Crown Affair "What else can we do on a Sunday".

George Vosburgh likes this.
  19. Inadeje

Inadeje Karting

1) My passenger's comfort - excellent. It’s probably THE only car I have ever driven that after 3000km in two days I did not feel remotely tired.
    2) My driving pleasure - underrated, fast with a slight bit of understeer on the non HGTE (Mine)
    3) Common maintenance issues - rocker cover gaskets tend to leak. Shocks can be hit or miss. Mine has suffered the prior, not the latter.
    4) Options available - not sure what you mean. The options list was endless on these.
    5) Aftermarket changes that are commonly preferred - I’ve installed decat fabspeed, front paint protection and ceramic coating.
    a) For example, on the CS in a rainy area, the stock tires are pretty much garbage. they would also be 17 year old technology at this point so most people would point you to a newer tire that does better in the wet. - I don’t drive in the wet, wouldn’t know.
    b) another example might be something related to a passport install, or other some such thing. I am looking for anything to watch out for or to value that might be specific to the 599. - never tried, do you mean a radar detector?