812 VS Rumors | Page 251 | FerrariChat

812 VS Rumors

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by Frenzisko, Feb 10, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. isot

isot Formula 3

May 6, 2012
    Lucca
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

I purposely put the SF90 Stradale headlights. It was my choice. I know the car will have the old headlights, but I like it that way.

stavura, mclaren slr, Boots and 34 others like this.
  2. spyderman

spyderman Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Toronto - Canada
    Full Name:
    Spyderman
    Wow...that looks to me a very close Rendering to what the 812VS should look like from all the hints we have seen to date. Great job.

Maggio23, Garretto, bwshihtzu and 6 others like this.
  3. Jonathan19

Jonathan19 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 13, 2017
    France
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    Another incredible rendering! Thank you for making us endure this (unending) wait with your renderings!

isot likes this.
  4. 456-boy

456-boy Formula 3

Jun 23, 2005
    France
    Full Name:
    Victor
    812 TM for 812 Terrific Madness

@isot, wow that is getting more more fabulous! Thanks for this rendering, that makes the wait less horrible haha

of2worlds, Caeruleus11 and isot like this.
  5. Flyerco93

Flyerco93 Rookie

Mar 14, 2021
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Marcel
    Great rendering! I personally know many different Ferrari models, but not all. So my question is: Did Ferrari already used square exhaust pipes for their cars in the past? I do not know any model. I'm a bit wondering about the square exhaust pipes on the mule car... Maybe Ferrari is "playing" with us and at the end, the final car will have round exhaust pipes (maybe 4)?

isot likes this.
  6. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    You're da man Alberto

isot likes this.
  7. mthompson2376

mthompson2376 Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2017
    North East England
    Full Name:
    Mark Thompson
    Round exhaust pipes are the most efficient shape for exhaust extraction, look at any F1 or racing car, fact, simple as that, I couldn’t believe Ferrari would go to such extremes and compromise the exhaust exit, I think the square shrouding is an extension of the diffuser.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

phanliu likes this.
  8. ajr550

ajr550 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2014
    UK and Caribbean
    Full Name:
    Andrew Roberts
    Tailor Made clients will be envious

JagShergill and of2worlds like this.
  9. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Square ones might just be the end covers (housing), not the actual pipes.

Marcel Massini

10. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    A square tailpipe will not change anything, especially if the cross sectional area is much larger than that of the actual exhaust. There are valves, cats, gpf etc in this system. Trust me, those tail pipes will change absolutely nothing. They might have a bit of an effect on sound, but overall, square or round, that is plenty of exhaust tail.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

mayer and gzachary like this.
  11. Nicolas21

Nicolas21 Formula Junior

Jul 13, 2016
    Near a nuclear powerplant
    Full Name:
    Nicolas
    O-M-G !!!! :):):)

bwshihtzu, dcmetro and isot like this.
  12. clockem

clockem Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Gary
    That’s the name OMG812

stavura, Maggio23, bwshihtzu and 4 others like this.
  13. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
  14. mthompson2376

Feb 2, 2017
    North East England
    Full Name:
    Mark Thompson
    Try having that conversation with any F1 engineer or Engine suppliers like Cosworth or Ilmor, you will get only one consistent response, I like to think Ferrari still builds fantastic engines and goes to extreme lengths to eek performance out of every component, which is what we buy into, and then they throw the car in for free, anything other than a round exhaust looks like a compromise to any Motorsport Engineer... on a road car you are probably not to far wrong the impact is minimal, but on a track version it just would look they chased style over performance and that makes no sense and wrong, you would then question and maybe start to doubt all the other elements - or as an engineer, I would....

15. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    You are missing my point completely.

An F1 engine is not a street engine, and it does not have tail pipes.

I have done dyno tests with engines to see what kind of effect various setups would have. Aside from cats and mufflers, the worst are sharp angled turn-downs etc. Yes, they will rob power - a whopping 7-8 hp on a 1200 hp blown engine.

That is a pipe that is part of the exhaust mind you. Not a seperate tailpipe with a much larger area. Do you really think that a 2.5" or 3" tube that dumps into a big box shaped piece of end pipe will matter, when a three chambered muffler that reduces sound by 10 db will rob 8 hp from a 900 hp engine? No it will not, it will not even know it is there.

Three things are the most important things when creating an exhaust. First you need to get the primaries the correct length. If the exhaust merges into one outlet, then the shape of the merge collector spike is the next thing. Then the last thing in race applications is to get the collector extension right. But seeing that these cars run a full length exhaust, the latter is pretty much out of the equation. The length of the car determines the length of the exhaust, and the real estate under the car is oretty much what determines the placement of the crossover, if one is there.

You are thinking way too highly of what Ferrari is doing with their street cars, if you think they are shooting for an extra hp or two with the tips. Ferrari does one thing better than anyone, and that is induction systems. But if you look back, you will also note that exhaust were not always high on the list. Have you seen the exhaust on a 458? It's a cast log-style manifold more suited for a Camry than an exotic. The V12 uses headers with merge collectors, but they are not eve equal length primaries.

This is not F1 and it is not a 12k rpm Cosworth engine.

I am as stoked as the next guy about this, and I'm sure I will find it to be an amazingly good car to drive, but this is a street car, not a race car looking for the last bit.

If Ferrari started to pay that kind of attention, I'm sure we would also get better brakes, bushings that does not deteriorate from heat, and better brake lines.

The 812 VS will most likely be a great car, and I'm glad that I am in the group that get an opportunity to experience it. But I am also fairly realistic about a few things. One of them being that Ferrari might be more concerned with exhaust tips that will help the sound, or perhaps give some kind of really small aero advantage they can boast about, than getting 1 hp from a round tail vs. a square.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

16. 456-boy

456-boy Formula 3

Jun 23, 2005
    France
    Full Name:
    Victor
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

I have a lot of respect for this IG page, but this time, I really don’t understand their comment...

of2worlds likes this.
  17. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    One of my pet peeves is seeing more and more exhaust boxes, decorative tips and such on so called performance machines which may change the sound and look of the rear but add unnecessary weight complexity and cost to a vehicle where the engineers are trying extract maximum performance

mthompson2376 likes this.
  18. mthompson2376

Feb 2, 2017
    North East England
    Full Name:
    Mark Thompson
    I think that was my point, we all know what works best, adding unnecessary box section just looks wrong from a pure performance engineering point of view.

I suppose in an electrically boosted car the exhaust tip won’t make a noticeable difference but for me isn’t right....breaks pure engineering principles, and then might make me question why all the draggy axe cuts in the roof bodywork...etc...etc...I am sure it will be right for the right reason whatever the final solution...and very interested to analyse why when we do see it.

Suppose we will find out soon.

19. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    Yes, it is true, a road car, with genes and techniques resulting from the competition, remains a road car.
    However, the VS will offer a lot of fun for the track days, hoping that we see some on this occasion.

20. Nasimento91

Nasimento91 Rookie

Dec 28, 2020
    Full Name:
    Nasimento91
  21. GUALT GTR

GUALT GTR Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2018
    Italy
  22. spyderman

spyderman Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Toronto - Canada
    Full Name:
    Spyderman
    Ferrari’s reveal is so close I can taste it...;) The rear lights look more SP90 then 812 SF. Looks to me that Ferrari has gone all out on making the most changes to a VS car from the base car then ever before. Wondering if they went as far with the motor? :)

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  23. aobao1993

aobao1993 Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2017
    really?

24. Flyerco93

Flyerco93 Rookie

Mar 14, 2021
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Marcel
    Looks really special :). And again, square exhaust "pipes" in the back. I can't wait even longer...

456-boy likes this.