458 Auto Mode Re-Mapping | FerrariChat

458 Auto Mode Re-Mapping

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by romeof1, Apr 12, 2021.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. romeof1

romeof1 Rookie

Jan 31, 2021
    Full Name:
    Roman A
    I recently bought a 458 Spider and noticed that it doesnt like low gears, even in Race mode and was wondering if there were any ECU solutions to explore. By way of background, I have a Porsche 991.1 911 and it holds gears much longer, and selects lower gears in Sport Mode (let alone Sport Plus) than the 458 does in Race mode. I could be going 30 in the 458 and be in 5th gear, while that would be 3rd in Sport or 1st in Sport Plus in the 911. Any suggestions/mods other than to manually shift the car, which is not always desirable?

2. rob5819

rob5819 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Barry
    Bummer you don't like the paddle shifters. If I'm going 30mph in Race/Auto my 458 Spider is probably in 7th gear. I only drive the 458 in Race/Manual. 4 - 5 LEDs on the steering wheel before shifting in low gears. I don't drive fast, I drive loud. When I put gas in the car anything better than 10 mpg is disappointing.

Hopefully someone else has a better recommendation for you in Auto.

Rob

cole328 and RoadRonin like this.
  3. romeof1

romeof1 Rookie

Jan 31, 2021
    Full Name:
    Roman A
    Thanks Rob, I like paddles but in NYC, its common to drive on local roads and constantly shifting becomes a pain.

4. rob5819

rob5819 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Barry
    That makes more sense. Roads in San Diego are bad, but nothing compared to NYC. Hopefully other people in you area will add their experience.

5. axlesofevil

axlesofevil Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Haha I'm (almost) the opposite of you. Unless I'm doing mountain carving/tracking I drive in sport + bumpy mode on manual. I shift between 3k-4k rpm. Going more than that just seems... weird to me. The throttle response is really hard to control over that rpm and the engine braking is tough as well.

@romeof1 you could potentially look at an ECU tune? Not sure how much you can mess with the auto computer, though. It's definitely programmed for fuel economy when you're just putzing around town.

If you ask the car to it'll hold a lower gear, e.g. when you give it a lot of throttle input. But if you're just putzing around town it won't. I guess why do you want to hold a low gear when you're just putzing? Maybe for the same reason @rob5819 does. :p

6. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    There is not much which can be done. Ferrari dct transmissions are pretty lacklustre in this department. Ferrari cannot program transmissions to save their lives. It is the same in a Lusso or 488, or F112. Driving along in auto and want to do an overtake? Yeah good luck. It might wake up after you stab the throttle a few times, but don't count on it. The guy that is in charge of this should be sacked. Go drive a Merc GTR with the exact same dct as a Ferrari, and it is bang-on. Just ridiculous.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

7. romeof1

romeof1 Rookie

Jan 31, 2021
    Full Name:
    Roman A
    That makes sense - thank you. Seems like its not as simple as an ECU tune and that the only choice is to drive in manual mode, even in NYC on local streets, if I want to be in anything under 6th gear when going 30. Sad to say my 911S is much more fun to drive in auto mode.

8. TheGaucho

TheGaucho Karting

Oct 21, 2020
    Full Name:
    SergeFurRE
    The auto mode on my Audi A8 is sportier than my Ferrari 458, and the A8 is a land yacht. Not only does the 458 upshift at ridiculously low RPMs, but when you slow down, it waits to downshift until you're practically lugging the engine. I don' t know how anybody can drive the Ferrari 458 in auto mode and find it enjoyable.

9. axlesofevil

axlesofevil Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    I'd bet a dollar it's to get better fuel economy across its fleet. Your car can be pretty efficient if it's never able to accelerate. :p

10. dgunn365

dgunn365 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    New London, NH
    Full Name:
    David Gunn
    Sorry guys; two people drive our 458; one in 'automatic' and one in manual. It works perfectly.....................................!