FF Question about Water Temp | FerrariChat

FF Question about Water Temp

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by IDriveM5, Apr 14, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. IDriveM5

IDriveM5 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2012
    Central Ohio
    Full Name:
    Raj
    Hey Folks,

These questions might be driven by my sensitivity about the state of my water pump. But the coolant levels are staying steady.

How many minutes or miles does your FF take before the water temp is warmed up?

What is the typical water temp range you expect as “normal” operating conditions for your FF?

I have my own answers to these questions, but I’d really like to heard from this group before I state my own. Thanks a bunch!

2. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    Depends on how hard you’re loading the engine, the ambient temp and the speed you’re travelling at.

But in general, I don’t look at the water temp - oil temp is more important although I notice that the water temp rises faster than the oil temp. It probably takes about 3-4 miles of driving before the water and oil temps get above 70c. ‘Normal’ operating temp is anywhere from 70c to ‘straight up’ (pointing at 12 o’clock on the dial - I can’t recollect what the temp is).

3. 350MH83

350MH83 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2014
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Max
    Normal is 74DegC for me. In city driving, it can go above 90. The highest I have seen it was 97, when I took my Lusso on a local track for a couple of laps.

4. IDriveM5

IDriveM5 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2012
    Central Ohio
    Full Name:
    Raj
    Thanks for the replies so far. Sounds similar to my experience. 70C is about 160F. 90C is about 195F. It also takes me maybe 5 minutes of driving for the water temp to reach its “steady state” condition of being at the operating temp.
    For me, depending on many factors stated above, I’m seeing about 175F to 195F. Thanks.

5. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Your temps,are fine. Should basically stay between 160 F and 200 F depending on the situation. If you see it start to climb above 212, then things are amiss. Water temps in the 220's is high for any engine, and usually a sign of problems.

But where you are, is perfectly fine and nkrmal. If you ever see it shoot to 230F pull over, because then sometging is seriously wrong.

Oil temps are much more determined by the oil itself. If the oil is a,street oil designed to run between say 200 and 240, well, that's where it should be. If it's a racing oil designed to run at 280-300 F, well that will be a bad oik in a car that tries to keep the oil at 200. If you know what oil is in your car, all you have to do is look up the specs. Those will tell you what temps the oil likes.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

IDriveM5 likes this.