458 - 458 approach angle | FerrariChat

458 458 approach angle

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Mafiaboy1975, Apr 14, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mafiaboy1975

Mafiaboy1975 Formula Junior

Aug 10, 2019
    South Africa
    Full Name:
    Mick
    Hi. Anyone know what the approach angle is for a 458 spider, with and without the lifter.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

2. axlesofevil

axlesofevil Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    That probably depends on what market you're in. I believe US-market vehicles ride higher and have a higher approach angle than e.g. European-market cars.

I have no idea what South Africa would be.

Why do you want to know?

3. Mafiaboy1975

Aug 10, 2019
    South Africa
    Full Name:
    Mick
    I need to get it in the driveway of my new house, it does not look too high in the pic but it a 19cm curb and the current ramp is at a 18 degree angle. It need to stay like that for storm water or the house floods in heavy rain. I wanted to know what the max approach angle is for the 458 eg like 10or 8 degrees. I was thinking of just buying 2 aluminum ramps like these but wanted to work out the length first to ensure I have the right angle for the car

Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Mikael-F360

Mikael-F360 Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2017
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael E.
    You can approach a 458 from any angle and it looks strikingly good!

*sorry but couldn't resist :D

xBox, RayJohns, SoftwareDrone and 2 others like this.
  5. Mafiaboy1975

Aug 10, 2019
    South Africa
    Full Name:
    Mick
    Lol. You made me chuckle.

6. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #6 Rexcat458, Apr 15, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
    Hello,

I feel your pain... My bloody driveway requires a Sherpa guide and Mt. Everest climbing gear to summit it properly without scraping the front bumper, or rear diffuser on my 2015 458 Italia...

I have the front lift option, thankfully... Even with the lift up, my entry approach angle is close to 45 degrees. I also have to use this extreme angle when backing out, or it will scrape...

Several things are at play, the dip in the street at the front lip of the driveway, the height of the driveway front lip and the sweep angle of the driveway ramp from the lip up to the primary plane of the driveway. (Overhang from front of tires to the front of the bumper is also a factor).

The height of your 458 will also be a factor, especially if it’s lowered. Thankfully, my 458 has not been lowered. Yes, I love the look of a lowered 458, but it’s not happening with my driveway.

I do not use any supplemental ramps, I just use an extreme angle of approach to get up the driveway and exit it without damaging any of the lower body.

You might take a look at Griots garage (not sure if they ship internationally, but probably will), they have rubber entrance ramps that fit at the end of your driveway that will still allow water to pass under them for drainage.

I thought about them, but opted not to get them because we are in a small cul-de-sac and there is no spare room with the small turning radius of the cul-de-sac...

Cheers!

Whan and Mafiaboy1975 like this.
  7. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    My neighbors have a similar issue with their driveways. One bolted down a 1/2" steel plate, the other put down a big pipe and poured concrete over it.

Ray

Mafiaboy1975 likes this.
  8. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Indeed the pragmatic solution Ray !

Mafiaboy1975 likes this.
  9. xBox

xBox Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2018
    The Emerald Isle
    #9 xBox, Apr 19, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
    Thats pretty savage, having to climb 19cm over such a short distance really brings the overhangs in to play, particularly the rear.

I had a 16deg driveway, which I re-contoured down to around 10 at the exit.

Some trial and error, plus a tip would be to come off front lift when you can, as it lowers the rear splitter when engaged.

Mafiaboy1975 likes this.
  10. Mafiaboy1975

Aug 10, 2019
    South Africa
    Full Name:
    Mick
    Thanks guys… at the moment some good old planks are doing the trick until I level out the slope a bit. I’m going to do something like this.

11. Whan

Whan Rookie

Sep 4, 2020
    Marin, CA
    Full Name:
    Will
    This - I have primarily relied on coming at the driveways at an angle, and turning the wheel first so that ideally the wheel contacts the ramp much earlier and improves the effective approach angle. Sometimes if the ramp is wide enough, I'll have the car almost perpendicular to the driveway and cut the wheel right, so the wheel almost goes up the ramp before the body. Unfortunately don't get it perfect every time, so luckily my car has a front skid plate which lessens the ouch factor, particularly on a lowered car without lift