Is this the worst time ever to be shopping for a new car? | FerrariChat

Is this the worst time ever to be shopping for a new car?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by 96redLT4, Apr 15, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 96redLT4

96redLT4 Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    Jim
    ....but maybe the best time to be a seller, or a used car dealer. I was in a Ferrari dealership in southern California last week that was almost empty....of cars for sale. Sales guy commented that they usually have about 30 cars in stock but had only a handful left. I live in a sleepy little beach town on the left coast with tourism and our local economy dependent on spring break, holiday weekends and the summer beach crowds. The hotels are now jam packed all week, every week. Restaurants are the same. Every other car I see has a new car plate. I am surprised the state has not run out of license plate numbers! New car production evidently is down because of Covid and chip shortages. It sure seems like there are plenty of people with lots of money to travel and upgrade their automotive footprint. Curious if it is like this in other parts of the world?

Thecadster and Texas Forever like this.
  2. Dr. K

Dr. K Rookie

Jul 28, 2019
    Boston MA
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Used exotic prices are through the roof right now. Definitely not the best time to buy a car because instead of spending money on vacation and other things people just bought cars during their respective lockdowns, plus supply shortage from factories shutting down. Who knows when valuations when return to normal?

96redLT4 and Texas Forever like this.
  3. blkfxstc

blkfxstc Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2016
    TX
    Full Name:
    Eric
    If you have a good trade it nets out to zero, you get more for the trade, pay more for the new one. If you are buying without a trade, yes, it is a bad time.

Thecadster and 96redLT4 like this.
  4. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    With the exception of interest rates still being low (which won’t be for long IMO) I would say yes. Our first house in the early 90s was at a 9.5% rate.

Glad I bought in Feb 2020......now I’m done until my retirement gift to myself.

5. pnd4pnd

pnd4pnd Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 19, 2021
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric Thune
    I bought my 458 3 months ago and was just offered $25K than I paid. Things are crazy!

96redLT4 and Husker like this.
  6. Spezia

Spezia Karting

Dec 15, 2019
    Full Name:
    John Weires
    I bought a new 2019 Ford F-150 Raptor in June of 2019. Since then I put a topper and spray in bed liner in it as well as 32,000 miles on it.
    I had a total of $70,500 in it and sold it back to the dealership earlier this week for $62,500. It cost me only .25 per mile to drive over almost two years
    plus gas and oil changes. The chip shortage is idling Ford's KC assembly plant for F-150's and 2020 was the last year for Raptors.

7. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Trucks are even crazier right now. I just looked up trade in value on my '18 Frontier. It's about $3,000 MORE than I paid for it over two years ago. And that's in the middle of the range that KBB shows you. I've added a few things so could probably private party sell it and almost still make money on it. Unreal.

96redLT4 and tomc like this.
  8. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    As the fed keeps dropping cash from helicopters, everything will continue going upward.

Oh wait, the fed says there is no inflation. Never mind.

Back'n'Black, kes7u, Dr. K and 2 others like this.
  9. PMiranda

PMiranda Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2004
    Austin, TX
    It's nuts. I tried to buy a new trailer on Tuesday but somebody had put down a deposit on it over the phone before I could even look at it. Next batch they're getting from Featherlite is around Halloween, so I put down a deposit on an Aluma instead.
    Manufacturing has been hit by people not working and massive supply chain disruptions, but people that just think about stuff for a living (finance, engineering, legal, and I'm guessing healthcare) are making money out of nothing. Interest rates are nothing so nobody is pulling money out of the stock market, so that bubble just keeps going and there's plenty of "free" money chasing a shrinking pool of toys.

10. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    My friends in the car biz say they can’t get enough inventory and the Manheim auctions on cars in the 7500-15k range are getting bid out of whack. Dealers are overbidding Manheim wholesale.

I bought a car the week of the coronavirus lockdowns in March 2020. A few hundred over dealer invoice and 0.9%. That’s when they were absolutely terrified. Dodge dealer called me for three weeks straight, they had a Challenger I tested with $32,500 sticker down to under $21k! 33% off a brand new car!

96redLT4 likes this.
  11. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Same for housing. Inventory low, people paying more than asking prices. Paying with CASH.

Husker likes this.