How to disassemble a 348/355 pedal box? | FerrariChat

How to disassemble a 348/355 pedal box?

Discussion in '348/355' started by Targatime, Apr 15, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    I'm doing an F1 to manual conversion and taking apart a '94 348 pedal box to scavenge some parts I need, and I can't figure out how to get the main rod the pedals hinge on out of the box (#16 in the diagram below). It's got a circlip and washer on one end (#20 & 21), which I removed. It looks like it should now slide out, but it won't budge. I've given it a few whacks with a hammer. I've pushed, pulled, cursed, begged, lit incense, nothing works. Obviously I'm missing something.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    IMO, it looks like it should just slide right out....weird.

sjd

3. GTO Joe

GTO Joe Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Joseph Troutwine
    What does bolt #6 do? Could that be some form of " jam" nut for the actual pedal that needs to be released?

4. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    #6 is just a pedal stop bolt, uninvolved with the shaft. I can't find anything that's holding the shaft in, and the box itself is very clean and from a low mileage car. Maybe I'm not wailing on it hard enough.

5. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    3, 3, 17, 18 are all bushings, 19 and 20 are spacers...maybe it's pressed fit through?

sjd

6. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Maybe, but still doesn't make sense, since the pedals pivot free and easy on the bushings, and there's no lip on the bushings. Obviously I'm missing something.

7. John Glen

John Glen Formula Junior

Dec 30, 2009
    Victoria, B.C, Can.
    Full Name:
    John Glen Wesanko
    If you can't rotate the shaft it's probably tight in the bushings. I would try to get some oil in there so it will turn and apply a heat gun to suspect pinch points to loosen up the tolerances before drifting out.

8. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Ok, problem solved. I stopped by my buddy Carl's shop (Black Horse in LA) and he knew instantly why the shaft wouldn't come out: "Italian grease" that turns, basically, into a very thick glue. He was right. Two seconds on the press got it started, I took it home, sprayed some carb cleaner into the assembly to soften up the grease, and pulled the shaft out by hand. Done and done.

BTW, if anyone wants a clutch pedal/arm for an F1 to manual conversion, I've now got two extras.....the complete manual pedal box for the conversion is unobtanium (it is not the same as the 348/early 355 pedal box) and so the easy way out is to cut your own F1 pedal shaft in half and weld a clutch pedal onto it, keeping your original pedal box (which is the same as the manual box, except for the pedals).

Qavion likes this.
  9. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    what you want for the clutch pedal arm? I may need one.

10. 0.0.1.99

0.0.1.99 Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2012
    Carolinas
    Full Name:
    Ken