DIY Changing Air Filters in the California | FerrariChat

DIY Changing Air Filters in the California

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Bill Phillips, Apr 14, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bill Phillips

Bill Phillips Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2019
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I decided to replace the factory air filters in my 2013 Cali-30 with a high performance set from BMC. Looking at the procedure in the workshop manual it seemed pretty simple and straightforward, and while it’s not as simple as unscrewing the wing nut on top of the carburetor on a ‘65 Corvette, it just takes a little longer and is easy enough for anybody. Here’s a step-by-step run through with pictures.

Remove the right, left and then the front engine compartment cosmetic shields, in that order (workshop manual p. 905) by unscrewing the hex screws located around the perimeter. Five on the right and left and six in front. One screw on each side goes through both the side panel and the front. The side panels pull forward and up, the only minor snag being the windshield washer filler pipe on the drivers side.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

All three shields removed.

Remove the six screws holding the air boxes, three in front and three in back of each.

Loosen the two large diameter hose clamps at the front of each intake. If they are the crimp type you can pry the crimp open about 1/4” with a flat blade screwdriver. Lift each air box cover up and pull it forward to remove it.

If you thought your engine compartment was really clean, think again. You just couldn’t see the grunge under the cosmetic shields. :( I took this opportunity to clean everything while the shields were out. :)

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

My filter has slightly different components than what is shown in the workshop manual and the exploded parts diagram at Scuderia Parts. Those two show a second, thin filter and a thin bracket on top of the main filter, all three of which lift out after the air box top is removed. Mine has a thicker pre-filter for leaves and bugs strapped to the bottom of the main filter. Obviously Ferrari changed the design somewhere along the line. Here’s my original filter, upside down.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

New BMC filters in place and engine compartment deep cleaned.

Everything goes back in the reverse order. Make sure the shields fit properly against the weather stripping around the engine compartment. They actually go back into the correct position pretty easily. If you loosened the original factory crimp hose clamps you’ll need a crimping tool to tighten them back up.

All done and looking good.

Beach Boy, cali2012 and Randy R like this.
  2. cali2012

cali2012 Karting

Apr 27, 2020
    Full Name:
    Giulio
    Thank you Bill! I love it! awesome Do it yourself!

Bill Phillips likes this.
  3. Bill Phillips

Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2019
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Yep, it makes me feel more like I’m one with the car.

LaPerfectionLouis likes this.
  4. cali2012

cali2012 Karting

Apr 27, 2020
    Full Name:
    Giulio
    Bill do you feel any difference in sound?

5. Bill Phillips

Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2019
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I don’t think so, but I do feel that it revs a little smoother.

6. cali2012

cali2012 Karting

Apr 27, 2020
    Full Name:
    Giulio
    Where did you buy the filters if I can ask Bill?

7. cali2012

cali2012 Karting

Apr 27, 2020
    Full Name:
    Giulio
    Thank You Bill!! $219.00 for 2 filters? awesome! I just bought them!!
    thank you so much for your time and guidance

8. Bill Phillips

Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2019
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Any time, glad to help

9. LaPerfectionLouis

Mar 13, 2021
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Aurelien
    Thank you !

10. Beach Boy

Beach Boy Rookie

Apr 1, 2021
    GREAT write up - thank you for this.

Can you please go into more detail about loosening the clamps? Where do you insert the screwdriver?
    And re-clamping them is just squeezing, or bending over also?
    I tend to wind up breaking these on other vehicles. Not what I want to do with this car!

11. Bill Phillips

Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2019
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill
    #12 Bill Phillips, Jun 10, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
    I understand completely. The factory clamps are crimped (just squeezed) at the top and it makes a little mushroom shaped protrusion. Imagine a pair of pants that are way too big in the waist. You could grab a handful of material, making them fit snugly. To loosen the clamp insert the end of a flat blade screwdriver into that protrusion from the front, that is 90 degrees to the band, and twist it and move it back and forth sideways so that the band around the hose becomes a little loose (only enough to be able to slide the hose off). Just like relaxing your grip on the waist band in the pants analogy. The catch is that you need the heavy duty crimping tool shown in the picture above, nothing else is strong enough or shaped properly. It’s like a giant pair of pliers only the ends will slide under the loosened crimp and tighten it back up when you squeeze the handles together.

If a factory clamp becomes unusable for any reason (the metal band can only be worked back and forth so many times before it will break) you can just go to an auto parts store and get a large (4” IIRC) adjustable clamp and replace it. Those can be tightened and loosened an unlimited number of times. Of course you can also order new hose clamps from the factory.

The crimp in a factory clamp...

A factory clamp and an adjustable replacement...

12. Beach Boy

Beach Boy Rookie

Apr 1, 2021
    Awesome explanation, sir! I shall remember the loose trousers analogy forever.

Thanks for taking the time to do that!

13. Beach Boy

Beach Boy Rookie

Apr 1, 2021
    And yes, I was considering the gear clamp - just prefer the OEM look. ;)

14. Beach Boy

Beach Boy Rookie

Apr 1, 2021
    And I have some blacksmith's tools to re-crimp the stock band. They were intended for use on a different kind of horsepower, but should be as effective on a prancing pony as on any other thoroughbred.

15. cali2012

cali2012 Karting

Apr 27, 2020
    Full Name:
    Giulio
    Beach boy, no need to remove the clamp, just loose the airbox cover and you can replace the filters without removing the clamp.
    For Bill, Thank you so much for your post! I believe it runs smoother.... maybe just power of suggestion......:)

Beach Boy and Bill Phillips like this.
  16. D-Gunz

D-Gunz Rookie

Apr 9, 2013
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    David W.
    Does anyone know the location of the "cabin filter" ??? - I also need to change that out! thanks for this write up - next weekend's DIY task along with my annual oil change.

17. Bill Phillips

Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2019
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill