Making a Stradale lower dash | FerrariChat

Making a Stradale lower dash

Discussion in '360/430' started by duck.co.za, Apr 12, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. duck.co.za

duck.co.za Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2007
    Cape Town South Afri
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I need a RHD CS lower dash and have been looking for a while with no luck . So I intend to use my LHD lower dash as a plug and make a mould from it . Then using the LHD product from the mould , converting it to RHD with the help of a RHD lower steering side dash I am getting from a Modena in Australia .
    I got the idea from Julian Thompson's post on his CS build . Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login
    This then means I will have a mould to make LHD CS lwr dashes . It is going to be quite an involved mould as the CS lwr dash is effectively moulded from both sides and the resin is injected under pressure . So there are going to have to be inside moulds to deal with certain internal details

Bas, Caphill, brogenville and 3 others like this.
  2. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Cool stuff. Thanks for sharing

3. clean512

clean512 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2010
    Full Name:
    Josh @jtcarprojects
    Love the work

4. duck.co.za

Jan 9, 2007
    Cape Town South Afri
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #4 duck.co.za, Apr 13, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
    brogenville likes this.
  5. duck.co.za

Jan 9, 2007
    Cape Town South Afri
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I had a look at the upper dash today . It is in need of recovering . I have just stripped the one end so far . The plan is to take a mould of both ends enabling a Modena dash to be converted to CS spec for the carbon door cards .
    I was also surprised to see how dark the original Alcantara is , compared to how the dash has faded Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Also something interesting I found was this mould line in the CS dash , I think indicating where the Modena dash ended .

Attached Files:

veilstylez and RANDY6005 like this.
  6. duck.co.za

Jan 9, 2007
    Cape Town South Afri
    Full Name:
    Dave
    E60 M5 likes this.
  7. veilstylez

veilstylez Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2005
    SoCal
    Cool stuff! can't wait till its finished.

8. veilstylez

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2005
    SoCal

interesting ...I trimmed my dash and filled my corners to make it more "CS like" .
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

duck.co.za likes this.
  9. veilstylez

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2005
    SoCal
    duck.co.za and clean512 like this.
  10. becausephilchow

becausephilchow Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2016
    Hong Kong
    Can't wait to see this all finished!

11. clean512

clean512 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2010
    Full Name:
    Josh @jtcarprojects
  12. veilstylez

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2005
    SoCal
    Thank you! I did all the bondo work myself(found a cheap used dash and modified it) and a local shop Los Angeles did the alcantara work. Man they did an amazing job, their moto is straight stitching and no wrinkles, the price was amazing too. Shop is called Rogelios upholstery super awesome guys. Heres what the corner looks like on the car

Sorry didn't mean to highjack this tread @duck.co.za , but I can't wait till this is done.....What CF door panels are you putting on? I used the 430Challenge ones and had to trim 1.5-2cm off each end like Trev said, the factory CS upper dash is actually longer than the factory Modenas so they need to be trimmed if your using those.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

duck.co.za, E60 M5 and clean512 like this.
  13. duck.co.za

Jan 9, 2007
    Cape Town South Afri
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Very interesting , when I first read your post I couldn't understand how little you had to add to the curved portion of the dash ( meaning how far back you had cut the ends ) , then later realized you are using challenge carbon door cards which I assume are wider .
    Appreciate your input and the pics , thanks

14. duck.co.za

Jan 9, 2007
    Cape Town South Afri
    Full Name:
    Dave
    That came out beautifully
    I am needing to change from LHD to RHD , so have found a Modena RHD upper dash from the UK and will mould the ends of my LHD CS upper dash to graft onto the Modena dash . Very similar to what you have done , except mine will be full CS depth .

15. duck.co.za

Jan 9, 2007
    Cape Town South Afri
    Full Name:
    Dave
    No stress , no highjacking , all relevant and I appreciate the reply .
    Your dash looks superb .
    I have CS carbon door cards although my RHS door card has some damage , which will need to be addressed at some point or a replacement found .

16. veilstylez

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2005
    SoCal
    ohhhh so lucky you have the CS door cards. I want those!

Do you have a link to Julian Thompson's CS build?

17. duck.co.za

Jan 9, 2007
    Cape Town South Afri
    Full Name:
    Dave
    It would seem that Ferrari used a standard Modena/Spider dash and added the Stradale ends . On both sides of my dash you can see the curve of the Modena dash and in behind the glass past used to bond the ends on .
    . Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

The studs protruding on either end are used to hold the Modena separate end cover on I think .

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Somewhere in there is a CS lower dash , lets hope we can demould it successfully . We are also busy with a Lotus Esprit S1 build and that is a front bumper we have just cast for the car lying next to the lower dash mould .

brogenville and veilstylez like this.
  18. duck.co.za

Jan 9, 2007
    Cape Town South Afri
    Full Name:
    Dave
    We have a three piece LHD CS lower dash mould . It released ok , with a few touch ups . Initially we are going to just layup the passenger side in order to make our RHD plug . Using a RHD Modena lower dash on the steering wheel side . Unfortunately the RHD lower dash is still on the water on it's way to us , so this RHD project will be shelved for a week or two .

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

brogenville, 360trev and veilstylez like this.
  19. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Ohhh this brings back memories... :)

20. duck.co.za

Jan 9, 2007
    Cape Town South Afri
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Did you have to do the same thing ? Haven't read your fantastic 10 year expedition for a while .

21. duck.co.za

Jan 9, 2007
    Cape Town South Afri
    Full Name:
    Dave
  22. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    No I managed to source a strad one but I did contemplate it as they are so rare to find..

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

duck.co.za likes this.