GT World Challenge at COTA | FerrariChat

GT World Challenge at COTA

Discussion in 'Texas' started by bupilot, Apr 15, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bupilot

bupilot Karting

May 3, 2016
    China Spring, TX
    Full Name:
    J Anderson
    Anybody know if the GT World Challenge event at the end of this month and beginning of May at COTA will be open to the public? Couldn't find anything on tickets and haven't received a reply back from the track.

Jason

FerrariTexas likes this.
  2. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    From a few FB posts I've seen, the public will not be permitted to the event. Unless you're a team owner / member or maybe get in using a press / photography pass.

3. jsumnertx

jsumnertx Karting

Dec 9, 2004
    Austin
    I recall in that thread someone mentioned that teams may have visitor passes they can sell for $100 each - and they suggested getting in contact with a team

4. bupilot

bupilot Karting

May 3, 2016
    China Spring, TX
    Full Name:
    J Anderson
    I assume this is due to to Covid and if so is a little odd as it's an outdoor event in Texas.

5. VelocityTexas

VelocityTexas Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2019
    North Texas
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    I would imagine the decision to have public access or not would have been made months ago. Maybe last fall before the current status of Covid and restrictions here in Texas. Making last minute changes allowing spectators to attend would be a logistical nightmare for staffing and planning.

6. bupilot

bupilot Karting

May 3, 2016
    China Spring, TX
    Full Name:
    J Anderson
    You mean like Nascar at Cota which is also in May with thousands expected? Haha. I've been to a few of those races at Cota (world challenge) and there's barely any staff or concessions there anyway. Either way sounds like not a public event.

7. VelocityTexas

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2019
    North Texas
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    NASCAR has the money and staff to pull off a quicker response not to mention the fan base several thousand times larger that will attend. Like you said, the GT World Challenge folks most likely decided it isn't worth the effort for the ROI to jump through the hoops as the event got closer and Texas opened up. You're pretty close, would you have gone if it was open to the public?

8. bupilot

bupilot Karting

May 3, 2016
    China Spring, TX
    Full Name:
    J Anderson
    Okay okay I give up. I said it was "a little odd." I guess there's no room for the idea of it being a little odd. You win! I think my intent with the race can be inferred by my original post.

9. VelocityTexas

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2019
    North Texas
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    I apologize if you think I was being argumentative or trying to win at something. I was just responding to your question to me above while stating what I think about NASCAR's deep pockets.

10. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    The 24H Series was a very public friendly event, but you had to know it was happening!!

11. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    Will you be there?

I’ll be there with the #52 M4 GT4 and two M325i’s

we’re coming from CT.

I was expecting fans to be involved but reading this, I guess not....I’ll be in the paddock both days

12. bupilot

bupilot Karting

May 3, 2016
    China Spring, TX
    Full Name:
    J Anderson
    My son and I were really hoping to attend as spectators. It’s a short drive down from the Waco area and we love going to the “smaller” series races but unless I can get a confirmation the public can attend, we won’t be there. Good luck racing, we love the M4’s!

Jason

13. 19633500GT

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    Jason, talking to the team lead this AM, it seems that spectators ARE allowed in the stands/field etc. but not in the paddock (like the old days)(for now at least)

The team's there this weekend, and I will get a boots on ground individual to answer with absoluteness, and let you know here if that is confirmed

VelocityTexas likes this.
  14. bupilot

bupilot Karting

May 3, 2016
    China Spring, TX
    Full Name:
    J Anderson
    That’s great news if that’s the case and I’m sure some others here would pop in for a day or two. Appreciate you going through the trouble of finding out.

Jason

19633500GT likes this.
  15. AndreB

AndreB Karting

Jun 8, 2018
    HTX
    Full Name:
    Ndr
    I am planning to go!

16. 19633500GT

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    The team's there now, they said yes to fans in the stands, no to fans in the paddock

I'll be there next Friday though and see the word on the ground myself :)

17. bupilot

bupilot Karting

May 3, 2016
    China Spring, TX
    Full Name:
    J Anderson
    Too bad the paddock is closed but understandable. Shaping up to be a nice weekend.

19633500GT likes this.
  18. 19633500GT

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
  19. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    That link has FULL weekend information, thanks!!

Basically (like at 24H Series) the Track is "not open" but a quick chat with any Gate Keepers, gets you on "in" to where you are allowed.
    I always go thru west Tunnel Entrance the lady there is nice.

And I'm always very polite...

20. bupilot

bupilot Karting

May 3, 2016
    China Spring, TX
    Full Name:
    J Anderson
    @BigTex
    Hey BigTex, can you clarify on the west tunnel entrance? Is that the one the goes under the start/finish straight up the hill? And are you talking about walking or will they actually let you drive through?