Raptor Owners? | FerrariChat

Raptor Owners?

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by JohnMH, Apr 3, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    Am considering getting rid of my Landcruiser and getting a new Raptor, they still have 2020s here with the supercab for a good deal.

The 3.5 twin turbo is fast, the test drive confirmed it is easy to drive, but what is it like to daily drive? It is just the 2 of us (so no full 4 door is required), we live in a desert area and I carry a motocross bike on the weekends.

I do a lot of highway miles however.

2. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
  3. Davesvt2000

Davesvt2000 Formula 3

May 3, 2005
    Central Mass.
    Full Name:
    Dave G.
    I’ve got a 2014 Gen 1 with the 6.2

it’s one of the nicest riding trucks I’ve ever owned, and the gen 2 like your looking at is even more improved and refined.

I daily mine, and while fuel mileage isn’t great - I get 12-13 mpg on average, I wouldn’t trade it for anything else. This is my second one, previously had a 2013 with almost 100k miles. my 2014 has 32k miles on it, picked it up first of the year with 30k, private sale.

I am intrigued by the gen 3 coming out, have to see what next years 2022 bring with the V8. Although I must admit it will probably be pushing $80-90,000 which is a lot IMO

4. Pis7a2020

Pis7a2020 Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2019
    I have the 2019 Raptor, it’s an awesome truck. Sound is not very impressive though.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Senna1994 and Davesvt2000 like this.
  5. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    From what I can read online the current 3.5 turbo has been quite reliable, even in comparison with the V8. Suspension is soft, but comfy on the road and it is quiet (until you open the throttle). Even the aggressive off road rubber on it does not make it unpleasant on pavement (I am spoiled by the Michelins on my Land Cruiser however). Did anyone try different rubber on it?

For those with the V6 does the 26 gallon fuel tank limit it? I understand a 36 gallon tank is available, which I may install if range is an issue - my round trip daily commute is about 100 miles).

6. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    I don’t think the 36 gallon tank fits the super cab. Lots of tire options, find the one that suits you. A Toyo AT or other less aggressive all terrain would work well and still handle the sand and desert well.
    Raptors are awesome. I’d love one, I’m just too cheap when it wouldn’t get driven enough. I do prefer the 1st gen.

Davesvt2000 likes this.
  7. Davesvt2000

Davesvt2000 Formula 3

May 3, 2005
    Central Mass.
    Full Name:
    Dave G.
  8. Eddie v

Eddie v Karting

Mar 18, 2020
    Utah
    I have a 2019 and honestly it’s the best all around vehicle I’ve ever owned. Super smooth and relatively quiet highway ride, roomy front and back, heated and ventilated seats, full panoramic roof and so much more. Then it crushes off road trails after I get home from work. You can go about 530 miles highway driving on a tank of gas, plenty of range in the 26 gal tank.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

9. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    Where I live here in Dubai, they seem very popular, you see them everywhere. I have three friends with the 1st generation version; one has 280,000 highway km on his with only a set of front brake pads and an a/c hose to be replaced. Even my 2006 Land Cruiser (now with 405,000 km) has not been that reliable. Most people here get the loaded, full crew cab version, but that would not fit in my garage too easily. Fortunately for me, the dealer is blowing out 2020 supercab versions for a good deal, which seems rare as I understand they sell pretty well.

I assume your 530 mile range is based on a 36 gallon tank? Utah would be a pretty great place to have one.

Davesvt2000 likes this.
  10. Bill Gelinas

Bill Gelinas Rookie

Aug 2, 2006
    Ontario Canada
    Full Name:
    Bill Gelinas
    I love the raptor, but I must say the V6 turbo motor is one of the worst motors you could possible own these days, endless timing chain issues, turbo failures and money pit level catastrophic expenses at low miles, totally disappointing. If buying one and keeping for less than 60k miles sure but dump it before the bills pile up more than a motor out major service on your beloved Ferrari.

11. Rdwaggie

Rdwaggie Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 6, 2018
    I have a 2020 Raptor. Love it. Also carry a KTM 250 in it along with my son's bike a lot. Just got back from a 4,000 mile road / ski trip and the last mile was as fun as the first mile and I hit all conditions along the way. I went to the Raptor Assault course in Utah, which I highly recommend. I drove through Moab UT on the way back and spent the afternoon off-roading there and the truck did outstanding. I was pretty much the only person that could go anywhere during the Uri winter storm down here in Texas.

I hate turbos and I think they did a good job on the twin turbo v6. It is plenty zippy and not laggy; noticeably faster than my friend's gen 1 v8. They do pipe in exhaust noise through the back speakers which I think is a bit cheesy but the sound has not annoyed me.

The only real issues they have had are:
    1) the cam shaft phasers (allows for variable timing which I believe is what was being referred to on the timing chain issues but I have not heard any issues with the timing chain itself). This is not an insignificant fix as it is a body off the frame affair but it is covered under the power train warranty as mentioned up to 60k miles. That being said, they updated the part at fault in the 2020 version and I am not aware of any 2020's having issues and I have been looking for examples.
    2) sun roof. They need to be opened and closed periodically because they are self greasing so some people don't open them for a year and part of the track binds / breaks and allows leaks or they park under trees a lot and the drains clog with debris. Either of these lead to water in the inside of your cabin. Never had it happen to me because I think it is easily avoidable but it is not the most robust design and some people are super happy just not getting the sun roof option.

Suspension is soft so if towing heavy stuff you will need to be aware of that - there are plenty of ways to handle it. But because of the suspension I have been able to get up stuff in 2 wheel drive that friends' in regular f150s have to put in 4 wheel just because of the range of wheel articulation and grippiness of the tires. Give the KO2 tires a chance; specifically designed compound that is soft and grippy and has been a pleasure to drive on pavement

I briefly thought about selling it because I was getting offered $10k over what I paid a year and 10k miles ago but not sure what I would be happy with as a replacement and the Raptor R is still a year out so I am keeping.

For what it is worth (if only there was an acronym to make that shorter...) I bought a 100,000 mile Ford bumper to bumper warranty for like $1,100 as a hedge against any issues.

Highly recommend Baja Design lights for the bumper cut outs - they are almost 10x the brightness of the headlights on low beam
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

VAF84 and Davesvt2000 like this.
  12. Davesvt2000

Davesvt2000 Formula 3

May 3, 2005
    Central Mass.
    Full Name:
    Dave G.
    Well said, thanks for the write up.
    is that magnetic ? A little hard to tell from the picture.

13. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    Thanks for sharing your insights, I have a deposit down on one of the last supercab version. The dealer has let me take it on multiple long test drives and I really like it.

As I understand it, the cam variator issue was the subject of a redesign for 2020, the blow by issue caused by a lack of a catch can is only an issue for engines under really high stress (and the design has been updated for 2020 as well).

I change oil even 5000 km on everything I own (which is about half the factory suggested interval), so even any residual cam chain wear issues should be lessened.

Now if I could only fit that 36 gallon tank....

I assume the KTM will fit diagonally with the tailgate closed? I have a YZ450F I need to fit in there.

14. Rdwaggie

Rdwaggie Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 6, 2018
    Leadfoot. I like it a lot better; when you really getting to look at the Leadfoot in the sun there are some blue metallic flakes in it

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

15. Rdwaggie

Rdwaggie Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 6, 2018
    Yes - you can easily close the tailgate when diagonal. But I can’t fit my ramp and bike in sideways so end up leaving it down (it is a pretty big ramp though)

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

16. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    I have had two gen 1 and still own one of them. I also have a 20 gen 2. I drive 20k a year, I love it. I have the crew cab and 36 gal tank. The bed extender is super useful, you can add one just order the part.

Davesvt2000 likes this.
  17. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    I am pretty excited, I take delivery of my 2020 red supercab today. The only thing I would with for is the larger fuel tank (I will daily drive it and would like to stop less frequently for fuel, but with cruise control and long highway runs it will likely be significantly better than my old Toyota V8). The dealer included the bed extender as part of the deal.

I actually investigated the idea of fitting the larger 36 gallon tank from the crew cab, as only a few parts would be involved. Unfortunately, it is longer than the 26, and may not fit into the shorter 133 inch wheelbase of the supercab without interfering with the rear axle, even though all retaining straps and most of the hardware appear to be the same.

It seems that with EPA rules, nobody makes a larger aftermarket fuel tank for the supercab sized F150 / Raptor, but oddly certain companies do for the longer wheelbase pickup trucks (which is confusing).

18. blkfxstc

blkfxstc Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2016
    TX
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Congrats! Have you considered an in-bed transfer tank?

Nativetroy likes this.
  19. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    At some point mileage is bladder limited.:D

Davesvt2000 and blkfxstc like this.
  20. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    Running out of fuel is not the issue, I would just like to only have to fill it less frequently.

After my first drive, I note that the ride is great, seat comfortable, the engine silent at cruising speed and the fit and finish is excellent. Even the fuel economy seems ok, at 8.8-9 liters per 100 km/h when driven gently.

Davesvt2000 likes this.
  21. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
  22. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    It may have looked tame, but the suspension bottomed out on the landing.

BJK likes this.
  23. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    HARD :eek: ...... The truck may be Ford tough, but the guys spine was not! :oops: ;)