Spider Garage Door Remote | FerrariChat

Spider Garage Door Remote

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by 360zub, May 26, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 360zub

360zub Karting

Apr 1, 2007
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Zubin
    I just picked up my new 458 Spider and I was trying to find out how to program the Garage door opener on the bottom of the mirror. The books have nothing on it. Anybody know?

2. Rcktrod

Rcktrod F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2010
    USA
    If you're close to your dealer, they can show you in 30 seconds. I did mine when I picked up the car. Hold the garage door remote right next to the mirror while holding down the door opener button. Then press the knob, on the bottom of the mirror, closest to the driver side and hold. I believe you hold it until it lights up which means it's linked. At least that's how I remember it being done. Hope this helps.

3. boiseferrari

boiseferrari Formula 3

Nov 11, 2005
    Boise, Id.
    Full Name:
    Kriss
    The first thing you need to do is hold the two out side (left and right) buttons at the same time. This erases the factory test codes. The light on the mirror will be solid (I believe) then start blinking. This could take up to two minutes. After this reset hold your garage remote up to the mirror and push the button on the mirror you want to program and the remote button. The light will start blinking and then go to a much more rapid blinking pattern when programming is complete. This should take less than 30 seconds. If you have additional remotes you want to program just take the next remote and press the next button on the mirror and remote until the light flashes rapidly. If you are unsuccessful Homelink customer care number is 1-800-355-3515. They can walk you through it.

4. fastmover

fastmover Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2009
    NA
    There is also a step that no one seems to mention. After you are done programming the car, go look at the actual garage door motor or control system. If there is a "learn" button, you need to push this button then get back into your car and use the button in the car and viola! Congrats on the car!

5. boiseferrari

boiseferrari Formula 3

Nov 11, 2005
    Boise, Id.
    Full Name:
    Kriss
    Darn it I totally forgot about that. It's the rolling code function. If the garage door opener isn't rolling code (more than 8 years old for most makes) then you don't need to do this. Good work.

6. ModerateMike

ModerateMike Rookie

Jul 21, 2017
    NC
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Six years later, and I have exactly the same question. Easy peasy. Thanks Ferrari Chat!

7. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Hi I recently had to re program the buttons.
    Let say you want to program a fixed code remote. This kind of remote uses DIP switches. All you have to do is hold down the button you wish to program until it begins to flash differently. Now it is in program mode. Hold the remote control near the mirror, push the mirror button and hold it while you push the remote control button. Then release the mirror button and it should be programmed successfully.

Next if you want to program a rolling code garage door, try the following. Park your car inside the garage. Close the garage door.
    Press and hold the button on the mirror until it begins to flash differently. Now it is ready to program. Hold your remote control for the rolling code garage close to the mirror and press the remote control once. This will open your garage. Now press the remote control a second time and this will close the garage door. Now get out of your car and find the learn button and press it quickly so it flashes. (Do not hold down the learn button as this will tell it to clear itself and reset its rolling codes)
    Now get back into the car and press the button on the mirror. The garage door light should flash. Press the same button on the mirror again and your garage door should open.

isn’t it great how the engineers thought up this almost fool proof and common sense approach to a very complicated problem

8. RaceMX-M3

RaceMX-M3 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2010
    Frisco, TX
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I've programmed enough of these on multiple cars that it's become second nature. The Homelink version on my 488 was different though and I had to buy the Homelink repeater to get it to work with the gate to my driveway.

9. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Mine required a bridge unit to work. They are under $60.00 and they do work but the range on the 458 is very short, I have to be right outside my garage to make it work. Dealer cannot help you if your opener requires the learning button to be used.

10. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Hello Carnut,

Interesting that you mentioned the short range of the Homelink garage door opener on the 458... Maybe I’m lucky, but the Homelink garage door opener in my 2015 458 has quite a long range.

We have a long driveway and it works at the end of the driveway, as well as out in the street at the edge of our lot. Maybe the 2015 Homelink software was upgraded?

Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

11. RaceMX-M3

RaceMX-M3 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2010
    Frisco, TX
    Full Name:
    Scott
    When I moved into my latest house one of my garage door openers would not program to Homelink - worked fine with 2nd garage door and gate. I had the garage door company out and spent hours troubleshooting to no avail. I decided to attach a few extra feet of basic wire to the antenna on the opener, which is also just a wire. Bam problem solved. You may try extending the length of the antenna/wire on your opener and see if helps the range.

12. rob5819

rob5819 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Barry
    I'm guessing it is the other way around. Your garage door system is probably older and is compatible with the earlier Homelink setup that is available in your 2015 458. We built our house in 2015 and the garage door was not compatible with any of our cars without the bridge. We've added a few post-2015 cars and they work easily and from great distance. My 2014 458 Spider only works through the bridge and only at close range. I'll have to go look through my notes, but I think my garage doors use the Homelink+ 2.0 system. No cars earlier than 2016 were compatible unless using the bridge, which has a very short range. Anything post 2016 works great, from at least 0.1 miles away.

13. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Mine is pretty new I can even open it from an app on my phone, works with 2020 cars, and 2013 cars, but would not work with the 458 or the Calf T, so the bridge was the only way. I tend to just use the app it will open the door from CA if need be.

14. Fv81587

Fv81587 Karting

Aug 18, 2018
    Novi, Mi
    Full Name:
    Frank Valeri
    Thank you as always for all the great advice on this forum. I bought a 2015 458 Spider this week and am having problems programming the Homelink. I pressed and held the outer 2 buttons and the blinking light changed after a while so I assume I cleared the old owners codes. But then when I press and hold any single button the light just continues to flash slow for roughly 30-45 seconds until it just stops blinking. It never changes to a fast blink indicating programming complete. I've tried it with my Chamberlain opener in learn mode and not but I don't think it's the openers fault I think the Homelink isn't pairing/programming with my openers clicker. Thanks for any advice you have.
    Frank

15. rob5819

rob5819 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Barry
    Any idea what version for your garage door system? My system is Homelink Security + 2.0 and is not compatible with any 458 Spider. An inexpensive bridge (https://www.liftmaster.com/homelink-compatibility-bridge-kit/p/HOMELINK+RPTR) fixed the incompatibility between the car and the opener.

Rob

16. Fv81587

Fv81587 Karting

Aug 18, 2018
    Novi, Mi
    Full Name:
    Frank Valeri
    Thanks Rob for the reply. I have a Chamberlain opener that's a couple years old but I'm not getting that far so I don't think a bridge will help me yet at least. I can't program/pair the Homelink in the 458 with the Chamberlain clicker. I was able to clear the old codes by holding the 2 outside buttons but now I can't reprogram/pair one of the buttons with my openers clicker. Thanks for any ideas.
    Frank