Tail lights swapped | FerrariChat

Tail lights swapped

Discussion in '308/328' started by Kidasters, Apr 17, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Kidasters

Kidasters Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2013
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Unreal -

So - when I bought my car, I remember them telling me "We swapped your lights to the correct position".

Today - I was surfing Ferrari's site, and I saw this:

https://www.ferrari.com/en-US/auto/308-gts

The order should be - Signal/Reverse - Brake - Brake - Signal/Reverse.

And my lights are Bass-Awkards of these lights. ****. Another project. Ordered new light gaskets from Superformance. I guess it's another project to get my car sorted.

2. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    Yup. It's not that uncommon to see 308/328s with the lights backwards with the brake lights on the outer side. Often it is a result of a body shop removing them for paint/repair work and forgetting which way they came off.

Cheers,
    Gordon

Rosey and GatorFL like this.
  3. Dave Bertrand

Dave Bertrand Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2005
    Castle Rock, CO
    Are the light modules easy to remove/replace? Is it not possible to reuse the same gaskets?

4. Sigmacars

Sigmacars Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Toronto
    No need for new gaskets but you need a very long socket

5. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
    It was my understanding that, for certain non-USA (i.e., "other") world markets where these cars did -not- have rear side marker lights, the rear lights were intentionally reoriented to place the red lights on the outside, with the amber lights on the inside.

This reasoning was so that, at night, the outboard rear red running lights could then also be seen from the side. Thus allowing them to somewhat serve as pseudo rear side market lights, adding some additional night driving safety value.

It makes sense to me.

But is it Fact or Fiction?

6. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    +1 -- Or a nut driver with a hollow shaft for the super long studs on the lenses to go into. And be very gentle tightening those nuts as easy to pull the studs out of the lens (especially on a brittle, 40-year-old lens).

dinoart likes this.
  7. Andy 308GTB

Andy 308GTB F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Jun 2, 2004
    Essex, UK
    Full Name:
    Andy M
    Box spanners are what we call them in the UK
    https://www.toolstation.com/box-spanner-set/p59905?store=B6&utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=googleshoppingfeed&gclid=Cj0KCQjwse-DBhC7ARIsAI8YcWJ2q2FMWRV6C_LTvJ19pHwhbcEIal49E7mMqTejmgIuiL-01am94GQaAiMeEALw_wcB

8. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #8 Steve Magnusson, Apr 18, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
    Yes, that's the theme, but a nut driver has a molded handle (like a screwdriver) on one end (so that helps limit the torque applied -- although just using your fingers on one end of those box spanners, or even using a hex key to extend the reach and be the drive, would be about the same):
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

dinoart likes this.
  9. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #10 Steve Magnusson, Apr 18, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
    Yes (but I prefer ones with longer metal portions and somewhat smaller handles). My (foggy) recollection is that I had to cut off some of the plastic handle to have enough reach thru the access hole in the chassis to get to the nut.

10. Sigmacars

Sigmacars Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Toronto
    Good point Steve I just hand tighten them to collapse the soft gaskets

11. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    +1 -- if using a deep socket and an extension, probably best to just use your fingers to turn the extension (no ratchet).

12. Dave Bertrand

Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2005
    Castle Rock, CO
    Ask China ;)

ragtop1 likes this.
  13. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon

Well, my Euro 84 GTS QV has the amber lights on the outside and brake lights on the inside, and no side marker lights. Every photo of an original Euro spec 308, 76-85, is the same amber on outside, brake lights on inside...

steven_ew likes this.
  14. Kidasters

Kidasters Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2013
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I've dealt with the deep socket issues - I have an original Ferrari license plate mount.

There's no way to remove the fiberglass board in the trunk to have more access to the rear?

15. Sigmacars

Sigmacars Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Toronto
    That won’t work you need a deep hole in the socket because the nut goes at least 3/4” past the end of the threaded rod I press fitted my socket in to a 5” long tube with a handle on the end and that works very well

16. Dave Bertrand

Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2005
    Castle Rock, CO
    Maybe you missed that those have hollow shafts. They should work great unless the bolts are too thick to fit inside the shafts.

17. Sigmacars

Sigmacars Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Toronto
    Yes I missed that if the are 4 mm or more you are ok

18. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Total fiction - In 43 years of following all things Ferrari, and 308/328 GTB's/GTS' in particular, I have never seen a single factory picture of any of them with the rear/brake lights on the outside, and the indicator/reverse lights on the inside.

The only factory variation on the rear lights are the vetroresina cars, which have rectangular reversing lights mounted in the rear bumper, and Amber only indicators (mounted outside of the rear/brake lights)

19. Furanku

Furanku Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2009
    I agree. That said, I recently learned that the factory did play with the order of rear lights to accommodate certain markets on at least one other car. It looks like the order of the six rear lights on the 365BB is different on German cars. Maybe that's where the confusion is coming from for th
    308?

20. Kidasters

Kidasters Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2013
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Did you look at this link?

https://www.ferrari.com/en-US/auto/308-gts

I mean - isn't that the factory?

21. Dave Bertrand

Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2005
    Castle Rock, CO
    I noticed something strange - in the pics of the U.S. 308, sometimes the Pininfarina emblem appears on the left side, and sometimes on the right. It was never on both sides, was it?

22. Furanku

Furanku Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2009
    That's a very good question, thanks for asking!

The first few 308gtb had the Pininfarina badge on their right side. From mid 1976 they changed it to the left side, where it stayed until the end of production.

Now there is at least one 308GTB with two badges, it's the one that was sold to Leonardo Fioravanti, who was the designer in charge of the 308 at Pininfarina. That car is currently in Japan, where I have seen it a few weeks ago, and I can confirm it had the logo on both sides, as well as a few other interesting features, like the fact is was fitted with 16 inches wheels well before this became an option.

Dave Bertrand likes this.
  23. Dave Bertrand

Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2005
    Castle Rock, CO
    Interesting factoids, thanks.