F1 PIRELLI GRAN PREMIO DEL MADE IN ITALY E DELL'EMILIA ROMAGNA 2021: RACE ▄▀▄▀▄▀ SPOILERS ▀▄▀▄▀▄ | Page 15 | FerrariChat

F1 PIRELLI GRAN PREMIO DEL MADE IN ITALY E DELL'EMILIA ROMAGNA 2021: RACE ▄▀▄▀▄▀ SPOILERS ▀▄▀▄▀▄

Discussion in 'F1' started by SPEEDCORE, Apr 18, 2021.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    He should try " Just for Men" hair coloring :p

ricksb likes this.
  2. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Unfair to pick on Sergio It was an incident packed race even LH spun of track
    Plus he's new to RB you will see him shine in the near future

ricksb likes this.
  3. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Maybe so. But the only driver learning anything would have been Russell. For Bottas it was business as usual. Kind of surprised he didn’t throw him over the fence after string bean tapped his helmet.

63 has been licking his chops to get Bottles’ seat and obviously thought dive bombing Valtteri during a bad race was an expedient method to demonstrate driver superiority to his potential employers. Call me cynical. Or better yet, let me have Toto say it.
    https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/wolff-russell-has-lots-to-learn-after-f1-crash-with-bottas-at-imola/6332943/

Thecadster and ingegnere like this.
  4. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    I think it goes without question that LH was very fortunate his Merc teammates had brain spasms. He very likely would have scored in the lower points position without that.

I think DF1 is just saying that (unlike, say, VB) Hamilton was able to successfully recover from his mistakes by continuing to push forward. He shoots himself in the foot at times, but has enough composure to keep pushing forward and to get as much as he can.

Bas, ingegnere, classic308 and 2 others like this.
  5. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    :p

6. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    you are absolutely correct. His comment about “he wouldn’t have done that to another driver”) betrays his mindset. VB has a right avoid being passed (did he just learn that?) and the onus was on Russel to execute the right pass in the right place (on a wet track, to boot)

Isobel likes this.
  7. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I was just watching the race in TV, and it looked very much to me that Bottas was drifting to the right just before the incident happened.
    I watched it several times, frame by frame; Bottas probably instinctivelly did that to save his place and "intimidate" Russell not to pass him.
    Russell saw the path in front of him shrinking and tool to the grass, causing the wreck.
    Toto Wolff who manages both drivers has a different outlook on things.
    He considers that a junior driver in the "Mercedes Academy" shouldn't have challenged a factory driver in those conditions.
    This brings brand loyalty and financial costs to the equation, beyond sporting etiquette.
    Russell making some accusations to the media probably didn't help his cause, but I sympathise with him.

sammysaber, rovexienus and Thecadster like this.
  8. piolaxo

piolaxo Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2012
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Salvador
    I think the assessment if fair. The new guys do seem to need more time to get adjusted. Riccardo didn't crash
    or anything, but the difference against Norris was substantial. This was a tricky race to start and even Hamilton
    (and Verstappen) had issues. Hamilton had the lucky break with the Race being stopped and Verstappen with the
    quick recovery. If he had taken a bit more time with his spin maybe Norris would have been second. So that
    was a lucky escape as well.

9. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Yep agreed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Debatable.

The rule says that a driver isn't supposed to change direction or swerve on a straight to prevent being passed.

Otherwise, overtaking would become impossible.

Many successful passes were made on the spot where the Bottas/Russell accident happened.

Drivers usually yield when a faster car with activated DRS catches them on that part of the circuit.

For reasons I can fathom out, Bottas didn't.

sammysaber likes this.
  11. schumacherf2006

schumacherf2006 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2010
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Hamilton is the luckiest SOB on the grid unbelievable

12. piolaxo

piolaxo Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2012
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Salvador
    Some of Hamilton's attempts to pass Norris were similar to Russell's ill fated attempt on Bottas. Hamilton was quick enough on one or two
    attempts to back off even though he was starting to have the speed advantage. He's experienced enough to tell when to go for it for sure.
    Russell probably doesn't quite have that mastered.

Having said that, even though it may well be a racing incident, my 60ish% fault goes to Bottas. He must have seen Russell coming fast and his slow
    move to the right to occupy the middle of the road was too casual and optimistic, perhaps thinking that Russell wouldn't dare to try, but he did.
    The crash was scary and I wouldn't want to guess what would have happened if the collision was 50m or 100m further closer to Tamburello.

sammysaber and william like this.
  13. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    sammysaber, kes7u, Bas and 4 others like this.
  14. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Oh Dear not a fanboy. Truth. He took what he had given to him and made the best of it. Period. He did what the team pays him to do. How the luck works out is not in our or his control. He reacted and took action.

jgonzalesm6 and william like this.
  15. DF1

Sorry Russell but your 'seat' at Mercedes is never a sure thing LOL :)

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/wolff-russell-has-lots-to-learn-after-f1-crash-with-bottas-at-imola/6332943/

Wolff: Russell has "lots to learn" after F1 crash with Bottas at Imola
    By: Luke Smith
    Apr 18, 2021, 12:52 PM
    Toto Wolff believes George Russell has “lots to learn” following his Formula 1 crash with Valtteri Bottas at Imola, saying the Mercedes car is almost a write-off.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Williams driver Russell collided with Bottas when trying to overtake for ninth place at high-speed during Sunday’s Emilia Romagna Grand Prix, resulting in a sizeable crash.

The incident left debris strewn across the track and caused the race to be red-flagged, and sparked angry reactions from both Russell and Bottas, who blamed each other.

Mercedes team principal Wolff said that, while there was “never such a situation in life where one is 100% to blame and the other zero”, he questioned why Russell made the move that he did, particularly as a Mercedes young driver.

“The whole situation should have never happened,” Wolff said. “Valtteri had a bad first 30 laps, and shouldn’t have been there. But George should have never launched into this manoeuvre, considering that the track was drying up.

“It meant taking risks, and the other car is a Mercedes in front of him. In any driver’s development, for a young driver, you must never lose this global perspective.

“So yeah, lots to learn for him I guess.”

Russell has been a member of Mercedes’ young driver programme since 2017, and has been tipped as a possible future driver for the senior team.

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Marshals clear the damaged car of Valtteri Bottas, Mercedes W12, from the gravel trap

Photo by: Charles Coates / Motorsport Images

Wolff felt Russell should have handled the situation differently given he was fighting against a Mercedes car.

“You need to see that there is a Mercedes and it is wet, it bears a certain risk to overtake,” Wolff said.

“And the odds are against him anyway when the track is drying up. Now I don’t want him to try to prove anything to us, because one thing I can say since knowing Valtteri for five years, he’s not trying to prove anything.”

Following the incident, Russell questioned why Bottas made the move he did when battling for ninth place, saying: “Perhaps if it was another driver, he wouldn’t have. So that’s what went through my mind."

Russell has been tipped as a possible successor to Bottas at Mercedes, potentially as early as 2022.

When told the quote by Autosport, Wolff said the suggestion was “********”.

“The whole situation is absolutely not amusing for us, to be honest,” Wolff said.

“It’s quite a big shunt. Our car is almost a write-off in a cost-cap environment that is certainly what we needed, and probably it’s going to limit upgrades that we’re able to do.

“Simply the fact that we ended there by losing it in the wet, because there was no contact, losing it on the wet, and making both cars crash out is not what I expect to see.”

F2003-GA likes this.
  16. DF1

String-bean LOL :) LOL - ouch!! :)

17. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    The reality is that (against all hopes) Ferrari is still completely off the pace. They are outperformed by Red Bull, Mercedes and McLaren (which would mean best possible place 7th haven't the other teams second drivers screwed up) and without the red flag / restart the time difference would have been colossal.

jpalmito likes this.
  18. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    I agree with TW

Thecadster likes this.
  19. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    The rain made it better for some, and not for others. I would have preferred it not have rained and seen what would have happened. Perez was disappointing. At times he seemed to try too hard, and at other times, not hard enough. I would have thought that Perez recovering those two positions under the yellow should have been fine...just like Leclerc did on the pace lap. It was only two cars and all very quick. Amazing how slow three WDC are...Kimi, Alonzo and Vettel should open pubs in their home towns, and get old and fat telling stories to their customers. All in all, a sloppy race from my pov.

20. Qvb

Qvb F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2003
    Newport Beach Ca.
    Full Name:
    John Dixon
    Mercedes needed the Bottas-Russell crash so Hamilton could finish second. Toto is happy on the inside.

21. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Do you really think they are that Machiavelian at Mercedes ? :rolleyes:

Jakuzzi likes this.
  22. Giallo 550

Giallo 550 Formula 3

May 25, 2019
    NY
    Full Name:
    Jim
    The two things I really took away from this is how interesting the rivalry between Leclerc, Norris, Verstappen, and Russell will be, and how Russell is really setting himself up to be the villain.

ricksb likes this.
  23. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares

24. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Yup, today Russel looked like an idiot...wich might be a good thing, since he might replace Elton...

ingegnere likes this.
  25. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

And of course u would say the same if Leclerc wasn’t driving a Ferrari right?;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk