For Sale - 1952 Gibson Les Paul Gold Top | FerrariChat

For Sale 1952 Gibson Les Paul Gold Top

Discussion in 'Other Parts & Collectibles' started by 285ferrari, Apr 18, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Back from a full authentication and appraisal from P.Scott Tucker at PST Guitars in VA. I have attached a few pics, I can provide any more pics you need. The appraisal came with a write up(attached) and 72 pics. Let me know if you have any questions. I am not a guitar guy, but will try to find any info you need. Asking $15K
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

crinoid and Boomhauer like this.
  2. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    I'm not familiar with PST Guitars, but you might consider sending detailed photos to George Gruhn at Gruhn Guitars in Nashville ... it runs $75 for an online appraisal and would be a good second opinion for the detailed analysis you have there. It never hurts to have as much documentation as you can with an instrument like this, and if George agrees with Scott on the provenance, that will carry some extra weight with the collector set. There are plenty of guitar dealers who might be interested in the guitar but they will not want to pay retail. You might be able to consign it, however, and doing that with Gruhn would be a good way to go. I only sell left-handed guitars, and have handled a few very high-end vintage instruments (a lefty 57 Gibson goldtop among them). As with a vintage Ferrari, originality is king, but this is an interesting guitar and it should not be hard to find a home for it.

https://guitars.com/appraisals

BOKE likes this.
  3. 285ferrari

Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    It is on Reverb and I have a ton of offers, hope something there comes through--PST also used Gruhns vintage guitar guide to help appraise it

4. phishgoldy

phishgoldy Karting

May 12, 2014
    NYC
    Special guitar. Wow!

5. Cars_n_Guitars

Mar 28, 2021
    Boston
    Full Name:
    George
    My 2 cents is the more well known and respected the appraiser is the more valuable it becomes. I would use Norm's rare guitars now in Tarzana, Ca. I would not rely on online appraisals as the guitar needs to be taken apart to verify age of the wood, date markings, any resolders or work performed, I would also trace back ownership for a solid provenance and then get opinions from top auction businesses to see what it would bring. You may be surprised as auctions could bring much more than listing it for sale. It only takes two people to create a bidding war where winning becomes more important than price. It's an ego thing.

I have a number of vintage guitars. though when I acquired them back in the 70's - early 80's I was 16 - 24 yrs. old and they were called used :).

6. 285ferrari

Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    I did not have an online appraisal done. The guitar was dropped off to PST and he had it for 2 months. Guitar was essentially taken apart with pics showing everything. I would not ship the guitar across the country for a second opinion. Too much risk these days with shipping carriers. I've had offers within the appraised value already. Making an offer and showing me cash are two different things.

7. cb2me

cb2me Rookie

Mar 12, 2021
    Central PA
    Has it sold yet? Is it still listed on Reverb? thanks -

8. wahoowa

wahoowa F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2008
    _East Coast_
    Full Name:
    Bill
    sorry...I have to jump in. I know the guitar, I know the luthier, I know Robbie. You guys talking about getting appraisals on an original wood/PUs/no neck breaks 5o's GT selling for under $20K are, I'm sorry, over the top. Yes, it has been repainted, but it's the proper "flaked" nitro. It will eventually green up nicely.
    On the S/N thing? No GT LPs got stamped until mid '53

'52, as many of you know, was the 1st year of the iconic Les Paul. That's pretty cool. Not a fan of underwrap tailpiece? Mikey Glaser or Mojo can help with that.

These things scream.....

9. JohnsonsMedia

JohnsonsMedia Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2009
    AZ
    Man seeing this makes me want to get my les Paul apprised. It’s an original sunburst.

10. 285ferrari

Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Not yet, offers don't mean much without a deposit or payment. So it is still for sale

11. Johdel

Johdel Rookie

Sep 17, 2019
    Full Name:
    John De Luca
    Like Cars_n_Guitars I bought my walnut finished 69 SG Custom used in 75. Now it is a totally original vintage and in near pristine condition. Years ago I considered refinishing the 3 gold Humbucker pickups and Vibrola tremolo and never did. It has the same transparent gold control buttons as this guitar. I would expect this guitar to easily attract the asking price given its place in history and fine condition. It does not cost anything to keep it until the right buyer comes along, and you could take a few guitar lessons while you are waiting! Good luck with the sale.

12. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Vintage guitar market is hot now.

egs.. I have a few silver burst lpc from late 70’s. These were 1800-2300$ 5 yrs ago. Now fetching 6$-12$k

glws. Reverb is a good sellers site.

13. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    If they are offers on Reverb, you just have to accept one and Reverb handles the funds. For a 5 percent fee, of course ... although it's capped at $500. It does offer you some protection though. And then they charge 3 percent to handle the money, too ;) but you are somewhat protected there, too ... i.e., they tell you not to ship and won't give you the buyer's address until the payment has cleared, and so forth. You can also have them handle the shipping which will protect you from theft or damage -- but of course they charge extra for that too o_O gotta price all that in when you're selling on their site but it's very popular. It was started by Chicago Music Exchange as an eBay alternative. They charged a 3.5 percent seller's fee at the time, which prompted eBay to drop theirs from 10 percent down to 3.5 percent but the damage was done. CME was absolutely raking in the cash. Etsy bought Reverb last year and promptly raised the fee to 5 percent and I'm sure that trend will continue.

Anyhow, very cool guitar, good luck with the sale, wish it was a lefty!

thecarreaper likes this.
  14. F12finally

F12finally Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2020
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Lonnie Robinson
    Is this still available?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

15. 285ferrari

Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Yes it is

16. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    I’m a drummer… I wish old drums were worth this much! Beautiful guitar no doubt. Not sure if you follow Neal Schon but he’s on a roll buying vintage guitars recently

17. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    So true. I’ve been playing for about 50 years and seeing this thread reminds me not only how old I am but brings back memories of all the guitars I’ve been through. I guess I always thought a “new” guitar would make me play better :) . I found out pretty quick it’s the Indian and not the bow. A lot like the game of golf ;) But the video above has definitely stimulated me to get my Les Paul out and get it warmed up. GLWS to the OP. It’s a beautiful guitar.

JohnsonsMedia likes this.
  18. F12finally

F12finally Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2020
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Lonnie Robinson
    Is this item still available? I have been dealing with someone who says they will sell it to me for $9K. Do you know George Buckminister?